Why become a member? ×

Band's keys player "wants to play bass on a few songs...." Alarm bells?

solo4652

Why not? I know lots of people who play more than one instrument.

How good a musician is she? I know several bass players who have just a meagre knowledge of music and rely on TAB for the lines they play. On the other hand, all the keyboard players I know have a good knowledge of music.

If she learns the parts then I don't see the problem.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ambient said:

Why not? I know lots of people who play more than one instrument.

In the same band though?  Because that's what the beef is here, I think.  I for one would not be keen, mostly because I can't do anything else but play bass, so I just have to bog off to the bar then?  I don't think so.

Maybe the OP can do a straight swap and play some keys while she's playing bass so maybe it's a moot point.  But in my world, that's someone taking my role in the band leaving me with hee haw to do.  I'm not having that.

• Like 9

Interesting, it doesn't seem to matter that the OP set out the situation very clearly on page 1, there’s still a tendency to jump in with inapposite comments... (not @Neepheid)

Regarding working with a close relative or partner in a business environment (which a gigging band actually is) it’s a quick way to generate tension  - Oasis, the kinks, fleetwood Mac for example plus in the office in a day job.  My worst experience was as a singleton in a five piece where the others were two married couples... I was so glad to quit

re letting her play bass, unless there’s an added value musical reason (as in my band where our guitarist plays bass on a short set allowing me to play sax) don’t agree to it, unless you want to find yourself leaving!

Edited by Gasman
Correction
  • Like 4

It's difficult. Whilst it could have just been innocent, life has taught me to chase the rats in my head to the worst possible outcome. That way, nobody can ever disappoint you or (more importantly), they can never blindside you.

From a personal perspective, as I never play in covers bands, there is no way someone else is playing bass in a band I'm in. They would have 3 seconds to make up their mind and after that point I'd quit. 

Maybe I take things too seriously. Maybe the lady in question is very nice, but just a bit self unaware. Maybe it's all a ruse to force you out of the band through a series of petty humilations waiting for the day when you snap, quit in disgust leaving them with one less band member to split the cash with and them laughing sinisterly with lightning flashing in the background.

Sorry, that's just my weird thought process. The keyboard player is probably just an eager div who didn't realise the implications of the suggestion. Or maybe this is a subtle way to start a tempestuous affair with you by taking an interest in your playing and requesting "tuition"...... Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

It's difficult. Whilst it could have just been innocent, life has taught me to chase the rats in my head to the worst possible outcome. That way, nobody can ever disappoint you or (more importantly), they can never blindside you.

From a personal perspective, as I never play in covers bands, there is no way someone else is playing bass in a band I'm in. They would have 3 seconds to make up their mind and after that point I'd quit. 

Maybe I take things too seriously. Maybe the lady in question is very nice, but just a bit self unaware. Maybe it's all a ruse to force you out of the band through a series of petty humilations waiting for the day when you snap, quit in disgust leaving them with one less band member to split the cash with and them laughing sinisterly with lightning flashing in the background.

Sorry, that's just my weird thought process. The keyboard player is probably just an eager div who didn't realise the implications of the suggestion. Or maybe this is a subtle way to start a tempestuous affair with you by taking an interest in your playing and requesting "tuition"...... Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

Well, that's a pretty comprehensive rundown of all the possibilities, nice one :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First of all, I think any band that would let this happen, namely, allowing an amateur to take the role of the professional, displays a general disregard for the value of the role they're undermining. Would the drummer, the most obvious ally of your would-be usurper, be happy for his enthusiastic wife to pound the skins for a 'few songs', come what may? I doubt it. But in many bands, the bass is seen as a lowly function. Admittedly, by the efforts of the bassists in a lot of cover and wedding bands I've seen, the reputation is often earned. The fact that she vaguely says she wants to play 'a few songs' suggests she'll want to play as many as she can get away with. And you will what, presumably stand around like a chump whilst all this goes on? 

Just tell her respectfully no, and suggest she find a different place to pursue her bass playing. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, squire5 said:

Certainly.But its gonna sound weird with 2 bass players playing at the same time.

Not necessarily! It's just a question of arrangement. One can do the bass-ics, the other can do rhythm guitar, or play counterpoint to the vox or guitar, or do little widdley bits left right and centre. That's what we do!

• Like 1

There are a few points that are lacking in the OP’s comments. Is the band leader either of these couple? If not, what do they have to say about it?

Have you mentioned that her time might be better served getting her keys playing to a higher standard? Sounds harsh, but that would be my response.

Has she said why? This would be my first question. There is no reason to go down this path if you are a functioning band that’s getting gigs. It just doesn’t make any sense other to serve this persons ego.

I’ve been in bands which have couples in them and they have been a complete joy. I’m still in one and they are a fantastic pair. I accept other people’s mileage may vary here, but couples in bands are not always doom and gloom. Sometimes it can be a good thing.

Personally I think you’re making a rod for your own back by giving advice re gear etc. This will only fan the flames of someone who clearly must believe they can do a job as equal if not better than you. If she thinks she can have a go on bass and not be up to your standard, that’s kind of worse.

Sorry, but I have little time for these wannabe types. In every band I’m in, I want them to be the best possible version they can be. The scenario you describe does not fit that mantra and therefore does not compute for me at least.

• Like 5

Just now, Chienmortbb said:

The Hamsters used to do this on one song. It was sickening to see such talent as the standard did not drop one iota. One band I wish were still going. 

Yes, another fan here.  They were my 'local' band playing stuff I loved and I saw them countless times.  Barry was as happy behind the bass or drums as the guitar. :) 

• Like 1

I guess the Alarm Bells might be telling you to run. 

What if another bass player from another band asked if they could step in and play with your band for a few songs at every gig.

It seems odd that we wouldn't be comfortable with other musicians playing music with us, it's supposed to be something we traditionally do. Not sure where the idea that some player are somehow better than others comes from, once everyone is a competent standard anything more is just being flash. 😉

I guess the real question is if she is only 'sort of' playing keys, should she even be doing that and does that mean she will only 'sort of' play her bass?

Linda McCartney could sort of sing and play keys, she was pretty useful on tambourine though. 

• Like 2

Quick question... why?

What is she bringing to the bass that you are not; will she be adding anything that you can't do?  If not then it is purely for 'her' gratification which is fine per se BUT what are you then getting out of it?  Where is your pleasure gratification?  Fine if you gain pleasure from sitting it out watching the rest of the band perform but IMHO I am in a band/part of the band for 'my' pleasure and enjoyment.  I would not get pleasure from watching someone else play bass in a band while I sit it out on the sidelines... at least as I sit here and type that is my view (mainly because I wouldn't let it get that far.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, martin8708 said:

If you play another instrument , this could be a good opportunity to show off your musical prowess by playing guitar / keyboards / harmonica / djembe or triangle .

Hopefully your bass skills are far better than hers , so the band will rely 100% on your input for gigs .

If drummer is band leader , could be a bit tricky .

I have been in a band where I swapped duties with rhythm guitarist for a number of tunes , quite nice to mix it up a bit .

Drummer  - her husband - is band leader.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I wouldn't mind, I swap Bass for keyboard for a few songs, it's good to broaden musical horizons and it makes you a more valuable member of any band. If you already know the structure of the songs and the key changes then playing a few keyboard chords is simple enough.

If I was worried my Bass playing role in a band was in jeopardy then it's probably not the band for me, or it'd encourage me to up my Bass playing and multi-instrumentalist game to be indispensable. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, solo4652 said:

I play in a good 5-piece pub covers band. Drummer's wife plays keys - sort of. She has bought a bass and at last night's gig she told me she wanted to play bass "on a few songs" next year. Hmmm....

Most people seem to have missed this. Can the OP please elucidate? Or just tell us a bit more if you prefer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1