Why become a member? ×

Im now with no bass.

bubinga5

Well its come to that time that finances have hit so hard that I have had to sell my last bass. And my beloved Aguilar 212. Its really stinky poo because ive been playing bass for 28 years and I feel musically lost. Im sure some have been through this before. Ive not been without at least one bass for all those years. Hasn't really hit me yet..  Still have my Eden amp...  But yep im lost without a bass...  Has anyone been bass less before,.?

Edited by bubinga5
  • Sad 27

16 minutes ago, Nothingman said:

Yes. 

I sold up all my gear when I had a breakdown in my 30’s and fell out of love with EVERYTHING I found enjoyable. 

It came back though. 

Keep moving forward. You’ll be back on track at some point. 

Thankyou for the positivity. Ill get back to it.

• Like 4

I'm sorry for your loss.

The times I have not had an instrument to scrap around on were difficult. 

When I was in one rehab, I found a pink acoustic guitar with five strings. They let me play it after I was not on suicide watch. Good thing too, I was tired of drawing pictures with crayons.

This is not a joke.

I hope you can get your hands on something soon!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, bubinga5 said:

Well its come to that time that finances have hit so hard that I have had to sell my last bass. And my beloved Aguilar 212. Its really stinky poo because ive been playing bass for 28 years and I feel musically lost. Im sure some have been through this before. Ive not been without at least one bass for all those years. Hasn't really hit me yet..  Still have my Eden amp...  But yep im lost without a bass...  Has anyone been bass less before,.?

Whereabouts are you ? You might be surprised how helpful folks nearby can be...

• Like 5

I went from 5 or 6 basses to no basses a few years ago. I was desperate for funds, gig money wasn’t quite enough and I didn’t have much else I could sell. 

I think I was without a bass at all for maybe 6 or 7 months when I found a half-size kids Tanglewood Precision copy in a charity shop which I bought for less than a fiver. I was so grateful to have a bass again, even a little 25.5” scale kids one. 

I hope things turn around for you really quickly and you can get another bass again soon. Best of luck 👍

• Like 3

I'm very sorry that you are now without a bass. If it is solely because of financial hardship then that's even more upsetting to hear, because selling your gear will only give temporary respite from your money problems. Salvation lies in changing your financial situation, not cashing in your assets. That's much easier said than done, though. 

Trust me, my friend, I know all about being poor and it's a seemingly never-ending cycle of misfortune and exclusion. It's very easy to feel despondent and think that there is no end to it, but that's not really true. Hang on in there and things will change for the better sooner or later. They always do. 

• Like 8

Yes, I've been there and regularly get hit the same way. Down to one and just scrambled a second. 

Its the way it goes at the moment, get yourself a giggable, cheap second hand bass that's good enough to gig (Harley benton spring to mind) and you'll be fine. I'm gigging in a wedding band and 2 tributes with really cheap bass and it works just fine. Once youre back on your feet then the basses will come rolling back in. 

• Like 4

Had a full clear out about 25 years ago, just because I fell out of love with playing following an overlong wilderness period.  Didn't play for ages.

If there's one positive outcome, it's that when you do start rebuilding - because we all will at some point under similar circumstances - it really focuses your mind on what you need to build a set up from the bottom up.

Good luck to you @bubinga5 

• Like 5

I've never been down to nothing, but I have had to sell stuff I didn't want to in order to make things work, financially and yes, it is a fraction of the downer having to sell up entirely must be.

FWIW I would have offered you a loaner if I was anywhere remotely close by.  Really happy to see folk stepping in, some awesome folk hang around here.

Hope you get back on track and get through your current difficulties soon.

• Like 1