Why become a member? ×

Fav crimbo tune to play....

diskwave

Well someone had to say it....Anyway mines a pint and ..Slades Merry Christmas, and Eltons Step Into Christmas...Couple of stomping party tunes if ever with some tasty bass work...having said that Ive also done that Mariah Carey thing and it's fun too... specially with a chorus of drunken females sharing the lead. Now that was.. a party to remember, ha

• Like 1

I finally got round to learning Slade properly this year. Then the singist said he needed to take it down a semitone, which was mostly no problem. Then at an open mic last week, I played it for a uke player in the original key. Last night, played at our one and only Christmas gig, a semitone down. Life doesn't get much more exciting.

What I did enjoy last night was playing "Last Christmas" rather more rockily and with a lot more going on on the bass than the original.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, toneknob said:

Have a search on basschat and there should be the tab for Christmas Wrapping around somewhere (you're welcome)

if not let me know and I'll dig out the scans.

Or even 

https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2019/12/17/bass-transcription-tracy-wormworths-bass-line-on-christmas-wrapping-by-the-waitresses/

• Like 1

I ended up playing Chris de Burgh’s “A Spaceman Came Travelling” with my eldest lad for his guitar concert last night (I wasn’t the only parent to get up and play with their child luckily). 

It worked surprisingly well and lent itself to some nice harmonies in the chorus. 

Shakin’ Steven’s “merry Christmas everyone” and Wizard’s “I wish it could be Christmas every day” also made appearances via the other performers - both top tunes. 

• Like 1

On 16/12/2023 at 14:30, Old Man Riva said:

This has a fabulous Tracy Wormworth bass line, which I always think is dead cool when I hear it. Really fun to play, too …

This is one of my favourite Bass lines ever... I've even been known to listen to it in August.
Never been asked to play it in a band yet.

4 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

Have we all heard Dylan's christmas song?

You're welcome.

I actually played this on a gig last year! Was my mate in our duo who suggested doing it,

I wasn’t sure but it went down really well in the pub.  Alcohol is a mysterious thing…..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of my bands do this:

It's mostly D with the occasional A and C, so dead easy to play. I just have to remember to count the bars of 2/4 to come in in the right place.

My other band has just released our own composition Christmas song called "December Snow":

We don't have any gigs coming up so we won't be playing it live. Maybe in December 2024? However we massively changed the structure of the song once the lyrics had been written, so I'd have to relearn the bass part from scratch as what's on the final mix only has a passing resemblance to what I originally recorded.