Why become a member? ×

What to buy a bass player for his 18th

GrimUpNorth

He's got his bass and amp and says he's happy with them for now, so I'm pondering what I could get him for his birthday.

It won't be his main present, so I was thinking along the lines of...

A really nice strap or case. Maybe something he could use to hook up to a pc and record, mix, produce.....yes I don't know what I'm talking about!

His amp is a Fender Rumble LT25 so has lots of different sounds (if that's the right term).

I'm not a bass player so any  advice would be great.

Thanks 

As you don't play yourself, I'd be wary of buying something expensive on spec'.  It's difficult to get it right when buying something for someone's interest that you have little knowledge of. As it's not a main present, I'd keep it simple. Programmable strobe tuners  are all very nice, but are a bit expensive/overkill for a young guy with his first instrument and amp. The TC clip on tuner at a quarter the price would be fine and you could add a decent strap and gig bag and still spend less than the the cost of the Peterson suggested above. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

As you don't play yourself, I'd be wary of buying something expensive on spec'.  It's difficult to get it right when buying something for someone's interest that you have little knowledge of. As it's not a main present, I'd keep it simple. Programmable strobe tuners  are all very nice, but are a bit expensive/overkill for a young guy with his first instrument and amp. The TC clip on tuner at a quarter the price would be fine and you could add a decent strap and gig bag and still spend less than the the cost of the Peterson suggested above. 

What @Dan Dare said

Not sure what your budget is and what accesoires your kid already has.

+A set of straplocks is always great. Schaller, Dunlop, Loxx.. can't really go wrong with the name brands.

+Behringer v-tone Bdi 21 pedal image.thumb.png.c8a80730359b8c0537c1d2b272d73e22.png

Always good to have a direct line to the mixing desk with a bit of your favourite sound. 

+A set of his favourite strings. 

+A nice guitar strap has been mentioned, I like Marusczyk padded straps.

+D'Addario Guitar Maintenance Kit for Bass. Has every tool for setups to string changes.

+Mono cases bass gig bag. The best way to protect a bass on the go that's also portable.

Headphones for silent practice at home, a comfy padded stool, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface for the computer, LESSONS or a workshop, a good guitar stand, Driver's license...

So many things! I tried listing in ascending order of cost a bit.

Oh last but not least, all bass players really really want one thing above all else...

Another bass guitar.

Edited by Bolo

7 hours ago, GrimUpNorth said:

He's got his bass and amp and says he's happy with them for now, so I'm pondering what I could get him for his birthday.

It won't be his main present, so I was thinking along the lines of...

A really nice strap or case. Maybe something he could use to hook up to a pc and record, mix, produce.....yes I don't know what I'm talking about!

His amp is a Fender Rumble LT25 so has lots of different sounds (if that's the right term).

I'm not a bass player so any  advice would be great.

Thanks 

Irrespective of the above buy him a 2008 Fender - a Precision if of course the best bet :) - that'll alway be his YOB bass bought by his parent(s) and which he may well keep for life on that basis 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1