Why become a member? ×

Lead singer syndrome

Mickeyboro

We all know front-people see themselves as the be all and end all of the band. 

So my question: do you treat them differently to other band members? Are your comments and criticisms tempered by the knowledge that they are likely to be more sensitive than the average musician? Or do you treat everyone the same?

• Like 1

In my previous band we referred to it as ‘LSD’, lead singer disease. We got through quite a few

singers during my stint, and the pattern was remarkably similar - they started fine ,then gradually

became more assertive ( regarding lots of stuff like song choices / rehearsals etc) and then when

they felt they weren’t getting enough attention or changing the band enough to suit themselves, 

resorted to spitting their dummies out before finally resigning. 

To be fair, they did take a lot of stick which seems a common thing in such scenarios. I think in

order to have the bottle to stand at the front and represent the band, you do need a large 

amount of self belief and this can soon be eroded by some p*ss taking musicians. I’ve also

found that in most cases lead singers who also play an instrument are mostly easier to

get on with, both musically as well as socially.

(Maybe also as a bass player who sings backing vocals I’ve realised how hard it is to do their job?)

• Like 3

The most recent excessively sensitive band member was about four years ago, and was the drummer. The guitarist/vocalist was doing a post-gig critique at the next rehearsal, and mentioned the speed of one of the songs (he'd also mentioned where he'd c0cked up and where I had), at which the drummer took umbrage, packed up, and departed.

The last few bands I've been in haven't had any sensitive souls, which is just as well, as my social skills are extremely lacking and I'll point out mistakes (and confess to my own).

I do believe that it is a thing, especially with the singers that I've worked with.

Though as it's been said, they're the one's with the cajones to be the "focal point" of the band, so it does kind of take someone with a certain kind of ego to do it (and/or narcissistic tendencies).

• Like 1

We’re a 3pce original heavy rock band. I’m bass and lead vocals. Everyone is equal. A stance I try to carry through life generally.

It could be argued that the front person is the least important member of the band! 

Edited by Rayman

2 hours ago, Rayman said:

I’m bass and lead vocals. Everyone is equal

I'd like to think this is how it works in my band (we have 1 extra guitar player) as I have the same roles.

Unfortunately I suspect that I'm a massive princess.

• Haha 2

I have a few instances of lead singer syndrome . 
Probabky the one which stood out most ; 4 of us form a new band from scratch through an ad . None of us knew the other etc

I had to up my game from basic hobbyist to regular gigging semi pro ( amateur ?) . 
Drummer was the easiest and most straightforward to ger on with . Guitarist was the band leader ,who often gave me a hard time .

Fair enough , I was lacking confidence and faced up to everything while improving albeit very slowly ..

However, the singer who was half Irish and half American and quite well off , was full of 'all the talk, but not the walk' .

He used to  be full of a multitude of ideas , PowerPoint presentations and trying to organise everything with military precision.

He even had a fender guitar which he kept under his bed , as ' jimi Hendrix was the best player ever' .

I had my Les Dawson moments , but he just could not play it and we all felt sorry for him. 
He was a lovely bloke , but didn't seem to understand the reality of real life, and why I used to get up at 5am to work . Yes really. He was Harvard educated .

He had all these ideas, but he kept saying ," sorry can't make it as I have to go over to Belfast urgently " / Sorry got to shoot off to Boston " . We were all getting frustrated , but wanted to keep pushing for the first eventual gig to see what's what .

When we actually did the first gig at the Grey Horse in Kingston , the drummer arrived late and started moaning to the sound guy about the PA . I smoothed that over somehow . Me and the guitarist despite him wondering if I'd be any good , were level headed.

The singer on the other hand , was so out of sync with everything and was very nervous rushing everything  like Peter o 'Sullivan. Sweating and sometimes stammering , he was shall we say ..poor 😮‍💨🙂

The guitarist said I held it all together . 
When we had our next rehearsal , singer told us he had to go away again . Drummer quit by email. Singer sent an email to us calling guitarist so many unrepeatable names .  In the end , the drummer had faith in me and we restructured a better band ..with better singers 🙂

I managed to up my game very soon after me and the drummer gelled 😬

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

We all know front-people see themselves as the be all and end all of the band. 

So my question: do you treat them differently to other band members? Are your comments and criticisms tempered by the knowledge that they are likely to be more sensitive than the average musician? Or do you treat everyone the same?

Christ.

From recent experience, singer wasn't really a musician in the true sense and that made things a tad difficult.  Tried to treat him as an equal musically but genuinely believe that he found it difficult to take in things we were trying to convey, so he became less of an equal in a musical sense.  He didn't really seem to be interested in anything that wasn't part of his agenda or his vision.  He effectively lost his whole band (including me) over a five/six week period.

• Like 1

I've been in a couple of bands where the dynamic changes and instead of us all being The Band, the singer somehow believes we have become His Band and starts treating the rest of us like minions.  That's the time to go.  Yet most other times, absolutely no issues at all.  Clearly it is nothing to do with ability, just a state of mind.  Case in point - I was in a band with a guy who is a genuinely fantastic singer and front man, the best I have ever had the pleasure of playing with, and he is the nicest fellow - team player, got time to help technophobes like me, helps with load in/out etc. @hiram.k.hackenbacker is in bands with him and would say the same I am sure.  Funny old world.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

I've been in a couple of bands where the dynamic changes and instead of us all being The Band, the singer somehow believes we have become His Band and starts treating the rest of us like minions.  That's the time to go.  Yet most other times, absolutely no issues at all.  Clearly it is nothing to do with ability, just a state of mind.  Case in point - I was in a band with a guy who is a genuinely fantastic singer and front man, the best I have ever had the pleasure of playing with, and he is the nicest fellow - team player, got time to help technophobes like me, helps with load in/out etc. @hiram.k.hackenbacker is in bands with him and would say the same I am sure.  Funny old world.

Yes, absolutely @Paul S. He's definitely a class act, as his other half actually who is also a singing teacher. Both of them selfless to a fault and see themselves as part of the big picture.

Has his own PA and there isn't much he doesn't know about the operation of them. We did our first rehearsal fully IEM'd the other week and if not for him, we would probably still be there trying to connect it all up 🤣.

I feel truly fortunate to be in bands with each/both of them.

• Like 3