Why become a member? ×

Beatles 'new' Single, Now and Then, thoughts?

PaulWarning

41 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

And I am pretty sure they were thinking a humorous goodbye and thank you, sprinkled with equal measures sentimental nostalgia. 

True, but sentimental nostalgia isn’t the same these days, somehow weak and lacking to the good old days

• Haha 1

Just sounds like a Beatles song to me. Could have slotted into a later album and no doubt been a slow burner.

As others have said the technology is very interesting and it’s got sentimental/nostalgic charm.

Now if someone could raid Prince’s vault with this technology there’s probably enough material for a decade of posthumous releases.

Edit: Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing I don’t know. Hopefully done with love.

Edited by tegs07

4 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

... Now if someone could raid Prince’s vault with this technology there’s probably enough material for a decade of posthumous releases...

I would guess the Prince' demos to be multi-track already, and so not need this separation treatment. I could be wrong. :|

7 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I would guess the Prince' demos to be multi-track already, and so not need this separation treatment. I could be wrong. :|

Allegedly he was so prolific and slightly divorced from reality that he had hundreds of hours of work some full budget and ready for release down right through to very early home recordings. 

Strange fellow according to some:

Edited by tegs07
  • Haha 2

As a big Beatles fan, I thought the song was good, but I do struggle with that Jeff Lynne production sound they keep on with that makes this and Free As A Bird  sound like a Travelling Wilbury's record.

I think it's the "big wet fish on plastic oil drum" drum sound he seems to love.  Maybe they used Bev Bevan kit samples, but I don't like it.

Only my opinion, of course.....  

1 hour ago, Huge Hands said:

As a big Beatles fan, I thought the song was good, but I do struggle with that Jeff Lynne production sound they keep on with that makes this and Free As A Bird  sound like a Travelling Wilbury's record.

I think it's the "big wet fish on plastic oil drum" drum sound he seems to love.  Maybe they used Bev Bevan kit samples, but I don't like it.

Only my opinion, of course.....  

100% agree! And what a fantastic description of one of the single most loathsome sounds in recorded history! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

19 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I don’t minds the song. But it obviously wasn’t good enough to work on past the demo stage when John was alive and the band was together. 

not keen on the video. Bits of it look like a Stevie Riks spoof. 

That's what me and the wife said at the same time! Stevie Riks!!!

4 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I don’t minds the song. But it obviously wasn’t good enough to work on past the demo stage when John was alive and the band was together. 

John didn't record the demo until long after the Beatles had split up, and the others didn't hear it until long after he'd died.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

here's the vid 

Oh you cynical old lot! It is what it is in the time that it is. A worthy job done well.

I think it's great because I accept it by not expecting anything from it. 

Besides, nothing's gonna change my world...

• Like 2

Now that I've calmed down from my initial excitement at hearing a new Beatles song I feel I can be more objective.

I don't mind admitting that I had tears in my eyes when listening to it. I don't know if it was purely nostalgia, or if it was hearing a man whose music changed my life and whose own life was so cruelly and pointlessly cut short.

Back to the record...

It's quite nice - certainly not anywhere near the quality of the fabs in the 60s. I don't know how much Paul and Ringo changed/edited what was on the demo cassette, but It would have benefitted from the honing that The Beatles and George Martin would have subjected it to in the day. It quite probably wouldn't have made it onto an album.

Another criticism I have, is the production/mix: to my (admittedly tired and abused) ears, it sounds very dull. The lovely, very George/Beatles, guitar lick leading to the "Now and then, I miss you" section really should have been brought forward. It all just sounds very awash with dull strings and voices.

All that aside, I think it was certainly worthy of release as a piece of musical history, and I absolutely don't think it tarnishes their unique legacy.

• Like 4

I felt it wasn't as poor and indeed was much better than I feared.

I enjoyed it more when hearing it with the video.

It might not have made the cut for any actual Beatles LP ... except the Anthology, perhaps its true home ... but for the completist it was surely necessary.

I guess the technology used here and on Peter Jackson's Get Back film, will be digging up many other goodies from way beyond The Beatles catalogue.

It's a bit hard to judge it on its own merits, as a 'new' Beatles song is such a big deal.

No, it's probably not as good as the best things they ever did, and yes the production is a bit syrupy, and No, George didn't like it, but for me, a 1978 song by John Lennon that was on a tape labelled 'For Paul' that contains the lyrics 'If I make it through, it's all because of you' with Paul, George and Ringo playing on it is a really beautiful thing to hear.

A nice postscript I think.

• Like 2

On 03/11/2023 at 03:20, Bassassin said:

There's a short & not particularly in-depth 'making of' thing about the song here:

Seems it's McCartney playing the slide guitar.

I think John had a terrible handwriting, looks like it says "new + Men".

Just how would we know that weren't in fact the intended title of the song?

Makes you wonder if it even actually said "to Paul".

As such I can't take this serious. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash