Why become a member? ×

paying cash for a bass?

Musicman666

4 minutes ago, Musicman666 said:

on a face to face meetup is cash ie 1k the usual done thing these days or is that a red flag in terms of possible counterfeit issues for the seller?

Depends on how much really - once you start getting into four figures then someone may start

getting a bit twitchy about notes. Definitely best to avoid £50 ones as they still carry some stigma

from counterfeiting operations in recent years. If you’re doing a bank transfer also beware of dodgy

accounts, although this is maybe more of a problem when selling with scammers using fake screen

shots to show the funds have left their account, and saying it will show up in yours after a ‘delay’ etc.

I always prefer cash still, and think most sellers probably do.
(Best to take a mate with you though of course, just in case. 😆).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Problem with most counterfeit detecting gear available on the market is that the counterfeiters buy them then look to find ways to defeat them - certain sun-tan lotions and hair-conditioners if applied to the notes rendered pens & UV detectors useless. In the old days the biggest giveaway was the paper quality but of course now we`ve gone polymer that`s history. One of the main things that happens is the serial numbers are duplicated so a quick scan through a wad of notes should pick that up easily enough.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, chris_b said:

£50 polymer notes are fine. . . . tilt the note side to side and the hologram should say "Fifty" and "Pounds". There are something like half a dozen more features on a £50 that indicate it is genuine.

I was wondering how you guys could be so behind the times as to be vulnerable to counterfeit 50's. Turns out you aren't!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

If you often have to deal with cash, it's worth investing in something like that (there are cheaper ones, just search): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Safescan-30-Counterfeit-Detector-Pen/dp/B00E485Z72

Read the comments from a Buyer for this pen, maybe..? :|

2 hours ago, Cliff Edge said:

Not a bass but I sold my Merc SLK to an elderly gentleman who turned up to collect it with 12k in notes in a Sainsbury’s carrier bag. All good:-)

Ah, a Sainsbury's bag. Obviously a trustworthy bloke. Now, a Lidl bag, on the other hand... -_-

:lol: :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

58 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Read the comments from a Buyer for this pen, maybe..? :|

Yep, it's a comment from 2017 in German from someone complaining he didn't get the box with 20 of these pens, twice, and that he sent them back in one package without even trying this pen...

So where is the point of your comment, Douglas, as I clearly stated to search for cheaper options?

I'd really like to know...

Edited by Hellzero
Missing part
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Problem with most counterfeit detecting gear available on the market is that the counterfeiters buy them then look to find ways to defeat them - certain sun-tan lotions and hair-conditioners if applied to the notes rendered pens & UV detectors useless. In the old days the biggest giveaway was the paper quality but of course now we`ve gone polymer that`s history. One of the main things that happens is the serial numbers are duplicated so a quick scan through a wad of notes should pick that up easily enough.

My mum used to work as a bank cashier many years ago, and when I started working in retail jobs she said one of the main things to look out for was whether the Bank of England text was embossed or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, neepheid said:

So, would a £100 note from a Scottish bank be out of line?

'Scottish' moody notes are often passed in England, mainly because shops don't really know what to look for - I've had attempts with 50 & 20 notes in the past.

One of the more amusing ones was an English 20 almost covered in red dye, it took some explaining to the two behind the counter that it had probably come from a cash van job (sigh).

😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Yep, it's a comment from 2017 in German from someone complaining he didn't get the box with 20 of these pens, twice, and that he sent them back in one package without even trying this pen...

So where is the point of your comment, Douglas, as I clearly stated to search for cheaper options?

I'd really like to know...

:rWNVV2D:

Here's a clue ...

:lol: :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, neepheid said:

So, would a £100 note from a Scottish bank be out of line?

Any note from a Scottish Bank is out of line across the border.

And paper notes have of any denomination (or country of origin) haven't been legal currency for a few years now. 

Got stung with that a while ago, stopped at a cafe for a brew, paid and was given a paper £5 with the change. When I needed to pay cash for something later that day, I was told that it wasn't legal tender, and that I'd have to take it to the bank, or back to the vendor. Went back to the cafe and sorted it.

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 1

I payed 12K for a car in cash once. The guy who sold it was so keen to get rid he did not even count it. I was taken aback. I sold it for £300 less than I paid and had 3 months of utterly glorious Audi A8 sport 4.2 twin turbo V8 Diesel goodness in the meantime.

• Like 1