Why become a member? ×

Customer service.

Rayman

I get increasingly frustrated, hearing stories and  having my own personal experiences with suppliers and manufacturers, where customer service seems to be an afterthought.

Having bought new equipment recently that was faulty, and also having a couple of failed attempts to buy equipment from a dealer who frankly couldn't be bothered to help me, I also hear stories on here about new basses that weren't set up, difficulties in returning wrong or faulty equipment and just general apathy from some sources of gear. The line of work I'm in, we just couldn't get away with such indifference.

We spend a lot of money on our passion, and to me, in return, there should be an equal passion from the supplier, and if not, they don't deserve the business frankly, I won't name names.

I have had however, totally stellar after sales support from two absolutely first class companies.... Ashdown and Warwick. Both of whom were absolutely delighted to help me in any way they could, including great conversations with the bosses of both companies. That's the way it should be no? Two examples of companies who are obviously passionate about their products?

If I'm buying gear, whether it's a cable or a new bass, I expect that store to be totally on it when it comes to processing my purchase and being friendly and helpful without exception. Otherwise they can do one.

• Like 8

This is one reason why I miss The Bass Centre, when they had an actual bricks and mortar shop (not to mention the dire lack of bass/guitar shops these days due to internet, but that's another conversation).

I bought my first 'good bass and amp from them around 23 years ago IIRC. A Warwick 5 string Thumb and Warwick 1x15 CCL combo. I went to their Wapping shop with my dad and brother to try things out, but I was 90% sure I knew what I wanted. They didn't have the exact configurations of either bass or amp but had other models to try which confirmed my choice was correct. They literally said "try anything you like, just take them off the racks". I've never known of any other shop that let you do that. Any way, I ordered the bass and an amp and went back a few weeks later with my mum and dad to collect.

Upon arrival, they recognised me, and told me they ordered two of the basses so I could choose the best one, and had the amp set up ready for me. Then asked if we'd like tea or coffee, and offered some biscuits too.

Proper customer service that resulted in my going back a couple of years later to get a fretless Warwick Corvette, to which they replaced the passive pickups with active ones when I said I wasn't happy with them... free of charge.

• Like 7

I've always had amazing customer service from Ashdown - I would say "second to none" (though Bernie Goodfellow is up there too).

My experiences with Warwick have been less to shout about but TBF I have had no dealings with them since 2015. It must have got better in that time.

Ashdown, I chatted for half an hour in the office, had a brew…. I could’ve spent the day there….

Warwick, I swapped a few emails with HPW, and was cordially invited to call in and say hello anytime. One day, I’ll turn up cash in hand to buy a SS1…. and have look round.

• Like 1

I was delighted with the service I got from Schaller when restoring a Gibson Victory Artist.  It had a broken M4S tuner.  As I was not the original owner (plus it was made in 1981 and technically Schaller had the working relationship with Gibson - who in this instance were less than useless of course), Schaller had absolutely no obligation to help me out at all.  I ended up in an email chat with the head honcho of Schaller, and they sent me 4x the parts I needed when one would have done, a sticker and a bag of plectra, and took no money from me - I did offer to buy a whole M4S so I could strip it for the parts I needed, but they took no money from me whatsoever.

Speaking of Gibson - although they deny all responsibility if the thing in question is too old as outlined in the above example, on modern stuff they were on it.  I had an EB (2014) and its bridge pickup went faulty.  They sent a replacement to me so I could sort it myself, no questions asked, didn't want any proof beyond the serial number and didn't even want the old pickup back first.  Solid performance, I'd say.

• Like 1

Years ago I had an issue with a couple of Ashdown custom cabs - not a fault but something not to my taste. They invited me to their factory in Essex to get them sorted and gave me the grand tour while I was there, getting me to try out all the various amps and basses they had. As far as I know they still open their doors to anyone.

A couple of years ago I had to contact Guitar Guitar regarding a G&L bass I'd bought a while previously which had a dodgy truss rod. They went out of their way to sort it with G&L, even though I was probably out of warranty. Ultimately G&L couldn't send a replacement neck so Guitar Guitar refunded me without any hassle.

Rotosound were great too, replacing duff strings with a whole new set without question. Sadly the fact that I had to do this pretty often is why I now use DR!

With only the very occasional exception, I've always enjoyed good customer service from just about anywhere I've shopped. I'm always a mite suspicious of those who recount multiple tales of bad service. Yes, the odd thing can (and does) go amiss, but it makes me wonder what those who always complain about poor customer service are doing or saying to the staff at the places that allegedly give them poor customer service.

Having worked in a number of public-facing roles, I know from experience how unreasonable some people can be. Could it be that those who never seem to experience good service might be contributing to the situation in some way?

• Like 1

My Spark 40 amp broke at the beginning of september. It is what sits by my chair and I use for most practice with headphones, I find it very useful so was a bit sad without it.

Seemed the effects and the music playback worked but no input. However, it was over 3 years since I bought it so what can you do - I contacted postitive grid to see if I could get it repaired, they asked for a video of what it was doing and on reciept of that they asked me to send it in, while not telling me how much it would be, so I sent it in.

Today a completely new amp turned up as a replacement - pretty impressed with that level of service!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

My Spark 40 amp broke at the beginning of september. It is what sits by my chair and I use for most practice with headphones, I find it very useful so was a bit sad without it.

Seemed the effects and the music playback worked but no input. However, it was over 3 years since I bought it so what can you do - I contacted postitive grid to see if I could get it repaired, they asked for a video of what it was doing and on reciept of that they asked me to send it in, while not telling me how much it would be, so I sent it in.

Today a completely new amp turned up as a replacement - pretty impressed with that level of service!

Good to hear. I bet the fact that you were nice to them played a big part in their doing that.

For musical instruments, Roli gave me outstanding customer service. About 5 years ago, my Rise, which was out of warranty, developed a fault. 
I contacted Roli to ask if I was able to fix the issue, they sent me a returns label which covered postage & 3 days after sending it, I had it back fully working & not costing me a penny. 
Cambridge Audio have also been superb with a similar sort of response to an issue. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

For musical instruments, Roli gave me outstanding customer service. About 5 years ago, my Rise, which was out of warranty, developed a fault. 
I contacted Roli to ask if I was able to fix the issue, they sent me a returns label which covered postage & 3 days after sending it, I had it back fully working & not costing me a penny.

I would say as a roli owner that is good to know, but they have gone down the tubes since then!

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I would say as a roli owner that is good to know, but they have gone down the tubes since then!

That’s sad to hear. I know that in 2021 they filed for bankruptcy, but I thought they’d gotten sorted out as they then released Lumi & more recently the Rise2.