Why become a member? ×

What single thing would you like a gear company to do that they don't do currently?

Jean-Luc Pickguard

11 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Heh, someone's got an odd bod 4 ohm cab lying around idle...

It’s for running a 4 ohm cab with an 8 ohm cab ( becoming popular these days ) so one cab ( 4 ohm ) for most gigs and adding a smaller (8 ohm ) cab for added sound on large gigs 

In my case Ampeg SVT212AV plus Ampeg SVT112 AV 

I can do this with Genzler and Tone Hammer amps and most tube amps but class A/B seems to only offer 4 ohm minimum load 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tauzero said:

Line 6 to make another Variax bass using the current HD technology. And preferably make it headless. Perhaps marketing it as a bass that can make a huge variety of sounds, and making it Workbench compatible, rather than saying it's exact emulations of various basses.

Ooh, yes please. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The fasting showman said:

If Cetera hasn't already mentioned it...Gallien Krueger 800rb reissue but just as a mono amp without the biamp circuitry. 

I'd be happy with any reissue of this (and the 400RB) that was smaller/lighter and sounded identical while being just as robust and reliable! ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can only speak to our particular products. Our Bass Driver which came after our original Bass DI (see attached picture) was originally designed soles as a DI. You could use it in one of two ways.

1.) As a transformerless active DI that would allow you to present a transparent high impedance instrument signal to a low Z input on a mixer without any signal loss or signal degradation due to long cable runs. 

2.) As a colored amp emulated output (with SansAmp circuitry engaged) similar to the old studio and live technique of mic'ing a bass amp cab along with a DI'd signal to create a summed sound with more complexity that could be provided by your guitars pickups only. 

When we released the Bass Driver DI, we added an on/off stomp switch as well as the ability to send a 1/4" output to your amp while simultaneously. This gives you more options but it also requires the player to consider how the FOH is affected by the DI signal. 

In general if you are using the Bass Driver DI as an always on pedal we recommend setting the unit for unity gain. When you do a soundcheck it's best to have the pedal bypassed and let the FOH hear the uneffected signal first, then you should engage the SansAmp. At unity gain there should be no major level change which should make the sound tech happy. 

If you start adjusting the unit during a performance this will most likely change the output level to the FOH which may be problematic depending upon how drastic your sound changes. If you were using and mic'ing a vintage bass amp and changed your amp settings this would also change things at the FOH as well. 

Most good sound techs are savvy enough to allow some extra headroom at the mixer to deal with level changes that occur during a performance. If you are constantly tweaking throughout the gig this will not make the FOH happy. 

Original Bass DI.PNG

• Like 10

Shame, would have loved to see adjustable drive/distortion/whatever people want to call it on a Bass Driver which doesn`t affect the overall volume, similar to that which is on Ampegs SCR-DI. The Ampeg is a great pedal but it`s not as good soundwise - imo - as a Sansamp.

• Like 1

I'd like to see BC Rich release passive basses in this country at a reasonable cost, with reverse headstocks or paddle ones rather than the 'Testicle rest' one seen on many.

I'd also like to see different new production of shapes other than mockingbirds, ironbirds, and warlocks (even though I love those shapes;) )

Eg Wave, Bich, Stealth etc..

Also more PP basses. 

I'd also like to see a metronome in a standalone pedal

A class D Marshall with DBS eq section and power handling would be phenomenal. I love my DBS rig, but the weight is the biggest drawback of using it.

• Like 1

On 11/09/2023 at 13:46, fretmeister said:

I have hassled him before :) but I'd like Barefaced @alexclaber to do a vertical Three10T cab with kickback wheels, and a tweeter.

Alex has kindly informed me that to get a sensible 4ohm impedance it would need custom ordered cones and that the demand probably wouldn't be there for the expense and R&D. So I'm counting on you lot to tell him that you'd all buy 3 cabs each! :D :D :D 

Narrow and tall, with wheels would be perfect for me. The Four10 doesn't have wheels and is short, the Six10 is just completely overdoing it and there are many venues I play I'd have trouble getting it through doors / stairs etc and with about 20 band members there isn't much room either.

I wonder if it would be possible to make it with 2x 16 ohm 10" drivers in parallel (for 8 ohm) and 1 x 8 ohm 10" driver in parallel  with the pair for an overall 4 ohm load?

The catches? The 8ohm driver will need a power handling twice that of the single 16 ohm units. 

The frequency response might not be in keeping with the other pair of drivers, and the excursion would probably be different,  too.

That might be resolved by experimentation; perhaps putting it at the bottom of the enclosure could help disguise any issues, especially as the top driver is nearer to ear level. 

• Like 1

It would be great if some of the tuner manufacturers would consider the locking heads as used in some guitars. It would make changing strings a little less boring.

I'd also like an AI bass that recognised I didn't know what I was doing and produced really good bass lines by controlling my fingers.

A bass that made me look slim all the time

A bass that I can program the set list into and it laughs as I try to play it

Shoes for cows!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Tech21NYC said:

I can only speak to our particular products. Our Bass Driver which came after our original Bass DI (see attached picture) was originally designed soles as a DI. You could use it in one of two ways.

1.) As a transformerless active DI that would allow you to present a transparent high impedance instrument signal to a low Z input on a mixer without any signal loss or signal degradation due to long cable runs. 

2.) As a colored amp emulated output (with SansAmp circuitry engaged) similar to the old studio and live technique of mic'ing a bass amp cab along with a DI'd signal to create a summed sound with more complexity that could be provided by your guitars pickups only. 

When we released the Bass Driver DI, we added an on/off stomp switch as well as the ability to send a 1/4" output to your amp while simultaneously. This gives you more options but it also requires the player to consider how the FOH is affected by the DI signal. 

In general if you are using the Bass Driver DI as an always on pedal we recommend setting the unit for unity gain. When you do a soundcheck it's best to have the pedal bypassed and let the FOH hear the uneffected signal first, then you should engage the SansAmp. At unity gain there should be no major level change which should make the sound tech happy. 

If you start adjusting the unit during a performance this will most likely change the output level to the FOH which may be problematic depending upon how drastic your sound changes. If you were using and mic'ing a vintage bass amp and changed your amp settings this would also change things at the FOH as well. 

Most good sound techs are savvy enough to allow some extra headroom at the mixer to deal with level changes that occur during a performance. If you are constantly tweaking throughout the gig this will not make the FOH happy. 

Original Bass DI.PNG

We know what it does and we like it. We would like it more if the suggested improvement was made in new stompbox products. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

Can someone make a device the stop the other guys in the band from widdling/blast-beating/talking/meditating etc between songs at rehearsal, please?

Definitely this. And mute the drummer when you're trying to listen to the song you're covering and they play along. Why do they give you a dirty look when you ask them to stop? 

Thinking about it, any pedal can do this... If you throw it at them! 

Edited by Buddster
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Bassman68 said:

They do….It’s called the Rogue

IMG_0521.jpeg

Ahh…I’d forgotten that one! I should have been more specific. A smaller-bodied short-scale with an extended horn. I love the Darling shape - it’s getting closer but one doesn’t see many in Series configurations. I’m working with a design engineer on solutions for my sbss basses. Incidentally, that Rogue looks lovely!

• Like 3

I would like Gibson to invest in some sandpaper. I don't own any of their instruments and never will, but it really annoys me that people just accept sloppiness at those prices. And the whole thing of the headstocks breaking off being almost part of their brand. Insane.

I also think Fender and anyone making similar designs should have a string tree that includes the A string (or one of those A-string retainer things) as standard.

• Like 5

Fender has this A string or whatever string retainer standard on their new models since a decade or two and they even sell it. 😉

It's basically a washer with a string guide pulling down the string, at a delirious price: https://www.fender.com/en-GB/parts/electric-bass-parts/string-guides-nuts/stealth-bass-string-retainer/0078972049.html

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Hellzero said:

@three : maybe something like the Bernard Paganotti upper horn extension.

jacobacci-bass.jpg.ccf61cec09d9abd9348f9c8be3d80701.jpg

Hahaha!  Possibly not.  Scrumpmike on here came-up with a lovely idea a few years ago and it will be a variation on that.  I can see that Bernard's does the job (and the Gallery did something similar for a famous session giant) but I'm looking for something a bit more elegant 

• Like 1