Why become a member? ×

Wear the band's logo t-shirt while gigging?

SumOne

Wear the band logo t-shirt when gigging?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Wear the band logo t-shirt when gigging?

• Yes
    • No

I’m aware that it’s meant to be very uncool, especially for originals bands, but in lieu of a backdrop or bass drum skin (on multi band lineups) then at least it’s some publicity for what band the audience are watching.

• Like 3

Both guitarists from another band playing on the same bill as us bought our shirts from the merch table and put them on to go and play their set. A nice gesture, but somebody wrote a review referring to them by our band name and tagging us etc. So wearing your own shirts on stage is probably better than another band who could conceivably be mistaken for you wearing your shirts on stage. Well.. unless they're significantly better than you 🙂 

We have been known to wear our band shirts, but they've tended to be either a slightly different design or a colour that we don't sell as merch.

Definitely no. I have been in bands where we have worn our band T-shirts while setting up, but we always got changed into our stage wear before playing. 

Personally I wouldn't wear on stage a T-shirt or any other clothing with an obvious logo or branding on it unless I was being paid a significant amount of money to do so.

1 minute ago, Rexel Matador said:

For reasons I cannot begin to fathom, I've always had in my head that this is only ok for drummers.

Because most of the audience can only see their head. 

Can also work for some keyboard players depending on how prog rock their rig is...

I’ve done it in originals bands, for a couple of different reasons.

One, when you’ve been on tour for nearly 3 months and you’ve run out of clean clothes to wear, raiding the band merch doesn’t seem like too bad an idea eventually. Especially when the record company has produced 1000’s of them and you’re stuck behind a drum kit and nobody’s going to see you anyway. Getting your laundry done when you’re away for months is almost impossible. So, yeah... Guilty!

Two, when the T-shirt design is a really good one and you’re playing in a great band on a huge stage and being paid daft money to be there, then why not? Again... Guilty!

Similarly, I did a gig for Levi’s once and got a load of free gear from them, which I’ve worn onstage at various places. Nobody’s bothered.

I’ll admit that although I take my work reasonably seriously I wouldn’t claim to possess an ounce of cool, so in my case I’d doubt anyone seeing me in a band shirt would give a toss. I’m a middle aged white guy so nobody really cares what I wear. I’m at that age where I might as well be invisible now anyway 😂 But also it wouldn’t bother me if I’d gone to see a band and one of them had a T-shirt with the band’s name on it. It’s not exactly Joy Division oven gloves or Sisters Of Mercy tea towels level is it?

Edited by meterman
tea towels
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My main band is a Roxy Music tribute and we have a "smart-casual" dress codes, so a T shirt would be frowned upon. Our drummer is exempt from this ruling and wears a selection of vintage Roxy Music T shirts at gigs, which I think is pretty cool. 

As a man of a certain age, I tend to gig in a waistcoat, buttoned up - apart from the bottom button, of course. I do wear a T shirt underneath that and very occasionally, it's the band's T Shirt, but you can't see what's on it anyway.  I'm not a huge fan of wearing a T shirt onstage (unless it's teamed with a waistcoat or jacket) but if you've got a cool logo or a snazzy design then go for your life. Free advertising and a plug for your merch. 

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 1