Why become a member? ×

Headstock Scratch - "Schoolboy Error"

thebrig

I left my clip-on tuner on the headstock of my newly built bass when I put it back in the case after a rehearsal last week, and now I have a nasty scratch on it.

Any tips for getting rid of it would be very much appreciated.

Headstock Scratch.jpeg

Edited by thebrig
To add photo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thebrig said:

It's not very deep but you can run your fingernail in it.

Has it gone through the lacquer and into the wood? I’ve used wax crayons, waxy make up and nail polish in the past to touch up minor scratches and dings. It doesn’t always make it disappear but tints the colour so it’s less obvious. 
Steaming is more if you have a dent or indent somewhere, as someone else said I’m not sure how well it works on lacquered or painted surfaces. 

• Like 1

The reason I want to get it fixed the best I can, is because I built the bass only a few months ago, the neck is a brand new Fender roasted maple Jazz neck, plus a brand new Fender body, and the rest of the parts are all brand new high-end parts.

I'm gutted to have dinged it so soon! 😟

• Like 1

As its on the face of the HS, you could take the tuners etc off and sand the whole HS face flat again and refinish/ respray just that bit, it's probably the easiest part to re do independently of the rest, and if you did the original finish yourself when you built it you might even have a bit left of whatever you used. 

It's clearly bugging you so might be the way ahead you'd be happiest with? 

29 minutes ago, thebrig said:

The reason I want to get it fixed the best I can, is because I built the bass only a few months ago, the neck is a brand new Fender roasted maple Jazz neck, plus a brand new Fender body, and the rest of the parts are all brand new high-end parts.

I'm gutted to have dinged it so soon! 😟

Months?

I usually manage a ding in the first week of ownership. Just part of gigging life.

• Like 4