Why become a member? ×

What would You call "Your doping" for bass playing?

nilorius

4 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

No need for any artifices here; I'm just glad to still be breathing and able to play. S'not true of every day, though. :(

Don't worry, not wrong only they who doesn't do anything at all !!!

I learned a loooong time ago that any marginally noticeable quantity of alcohol or drugs in my system trigger an immediate disconnect between brain & hands, and I just play absolute rubbish. Pint of water by the bottom of the mic stand, & that's it.

• Like 1

Orange juice and soda, maybe a pint of ale later and possibly a second while taking down. I used to drink a bit more when Mrs Zero was driving us home but I find I no longer have the urge. Probably a scotch or two when I get home, doing the post-gig wind down (gigs are sufficiently infrequent that I still do that).

Full fat coke, no ice. 

I like the grog but as I get older even moderate amounts give me awful headaches so I'm off it for good. It's really annoying, because our regular rehearsal venue is a bar at a football club and we get free booze in exchange for a free gig from us ince a year. They open the bar, lock us in and come back three hours later, by which time our rhythm guitarist is so blasted he has to leave his car there. Meanwhile I might sup a can or two of coke, or perhaps Schwepes lemonade.

Back in the day, as the front man mostly, then later bass and vocals, I was pretty silly. Let's just leave that there. 

Now, like Bassassin, I've worked out that playing well live does not equate to anything more than water during the gig, and if I'm not driving, a couple of whisky after.

Haven’t touched alcohol for nearly 10 years now ,but when I did it definitely didn’t work well with playing, I’d forget the notes ,be out of time and generally just sound dreadful.. not much different to now really 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think that if you're playing rock'n'roll you have to make sure you're both rocking and rolling... So I have two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5