Why become a member? ×

First gig in fifteen years. Any tips?

Jackroadkill

I categorically, unequivocally and completely gave up playing about twelve years ago, following the folding of my band and a few aborted attempts to start new ones.  Somehow last year I accidentally bought a bass and formed a covers band.  Now our singer has booked us a gig for Saturday night.  It's nothing overly dramatic, just at a party held by some friends  of his.  We'll be the first band on and have a 45 minute set.  After not feeling nervous about this at all, it's getting very close and I'm starting to twitch a bit.  Back in my younger days I thrived on the butterflies and played with wild abandon, causing chaos and heartbreak (okay, maybe just chaos) at every gig.

These days I'm thinking that being on the ball, taking a back seat and just trying to get through without weeing myself might be the best bet.

Have you lovely people any pearls of wisdom to share or is it more of a case of jump back in and see if I can still swim?

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 1

Check, check and check again your equipment before leaving.

If it`s a 30min drive set off at least an hour before you need to get there.

As long as you`re relaxed about your gear working and being on time anything else that may come your way can be dealt with at the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Check, check and check again your equipment before leaving.

I've set aside some time during the day on Saturday to go through all of my gear (thankfully I'm not using much) and ensure that it's all shipshape. Luckily I spent years working as a roadie so I'm confident in this respect.

4 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

If you make a mistake, look at the guitarist, drummer or vocalist. It was definitely their fault. 

Thanks - I'd forgotten that one!

Thanks very much, chaps, much appreciated.

Remember to look at the audience. Had I followed my own advice, I wouldn't have missed seeing the young lady in the red dress jiggle so enthusiastically at our first gig that she jiggled herself out of the top of it.

Take a couple of spare leads (the guitarist is bound to need one) and spare batteries for everything that needs them. Get packed up in good time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Take a couple of spare leads (the guitarist is bound to need one) and spare batteries...

So true! Every time!

Write a set list and the first chord, and you'll nail every song start. Others will be amazed. As said so many times before, if you can even stop where others stop, you've made it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tauzero said:

Remember to look at the audience. Had I followed my own advice, I wouldn't have missed seeing the young lady in the red dress jiggle so enthusiastically at our first gig that she jiggled herself out of the top of it.

All credit for the righteous groove you laid down which got her so enthusiastic!

• Haha 1

I was doing a gig recently at a club we quite often play at. The manager was walking past the side of the stage and stopped to have a conversation with me half way through a song. I continued playing fine and talked to him at the same time without missing a note. It made me realise this is how not to be nervous at a gig, rehearse, rehearse, rehearse until you can do it in your sleep, or at least play while having a conversation. That way you're not thinking, oh g*d the next bit of the song is coming up and what do I do / this is always the bit where 'x' screws up!

If the whole band have total confidence it what you're playing you can concentrate on having a fab time. Of course if you're under rehearsed then it's time to poo your pants!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tauzero said:

...the young lady in the red dress jiggle so enthusiastically at our first gig that she jiggled herself out of the top of it.

Take a couple of spare leads (the guitarist is bound to need one) and spare batteries for everything that needs them. 

Are these 2 statements directly connected... what are the leads used for?  I NEVER get those kind of gigs/offers!  

• Haha 1

Thanks so much, chaps.  I really appreciate you all taking the time to lend me your wisdom (or mention boobies).  This gig is a bit of a rush job but there's no pressure other than that which we put ourselves under.

9 hours ago, Richard R said:

Hope it's a blast - what sort of things are you playing?

Mainly '90's rock stuff, but the odd earlier / later song thrown in for good measure.  We're trying to avoid too many standards if we can.

9 hours ago, itu said:

Write a set list and the first chord,

The set list is done, but writing the first chord is a superb idea - consider that one nicked!

5 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I had a big ( many years) break from doing gigs, the first one was just like going straight back in again

I'm hoping that my experience will be the same, and I'm hoping very much that I enjoy it as much as I used to.

1 hour ago, Boodang said:

Of course if you're under rehearsed then it's time to poo your pants!

Bugger!

Thanks all,

JRK

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Are these 2 statements directly connected... what are the leads used for?  I NEVER get those kind of gigs/offers!  

You forgot to ask about the batteries, and which equipment would need them.

• Haha 1

It'll all come flooding back!  This is a relatively easy gig/starter for ten - a birthday party of friends of someone in the band are unlikely to be your most critical audience.  Go out there and enjoy it, you'll do great!

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

I categorically, unequivocally and completely gave up playing about twelve years ago, following the folding of my band and a few aborted attempts to start new ones.  Somehow last year I accidentally bought a bass and formed a covers band.  Now our singer has booked us a gig for Saturday night.  It's nothing overly dramatic, just at a party held by some friends  of his.  We'll be the first band on and have a 45 minute set.  After not feeling nervous about this at all, it's getting very close and I'm starting to twitch a bit.  Back in my younger days I thrived on the butterflies and played with wild abandon, causing chaos and heartbreak (okay, maybe just chaos) at every gig.

These days I'm thinking that being on the ball, taking a back seat and just trying to get through without weeing myself might be the best bet.

Have you lovely people any pearls of wisdom to share or is it more of a case of jump back in and see if I can still swim?

Cheers,

JRK

A bit of whiskey 12 hours before, will do the thing.

Edited by nilorius
  • Confused 1

I don’t really get nervous (unless I’m playing a double bass gig), but I echo the others here.

I once had a technical issue at the biggest gig I ever played and ever since then I’ve taken 2 (or more) of everything to a gig. Basses, leads, amps, I even take 2 cabs!

My set list has all the keys written on it, and details of stops, unison parts, solos etc.

After that, it’s just about doing your best and remembering that you’re the coolest person there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1