Why become a member? ×

RIP Andy Rourke

toneknob

If you played bass in an indie band in the eighties, Andy Rourke's level of playing was probably your aspirational goal. His contribution to The Smiths was as huge as it is underrated.

• Like 18

1 minute ago, rushbo said:

If you played bass in an indie band in the eighties, Andy Rourke's level of playing was probably your aspirational goal. His contribution to The Smiths was as huge as it is underrated.

Absolutely spot on. 

From the Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/may/19/andy-rourke-bassist-for-the-smiths-dies-aged-59

"(Johnny) Marr’s tribute continued: “Watching him play those dazzling basslines was an absolute privilege and genuinely something to behold. But one time which always comes to mind was when I sat next to him at the mixing desk watching him play his bass on the song The Queen is Dead. It was so impressive that I said to myself ‘I’ll never forget this moment.’"

Bit dusty in here. 

Edited by toneknob
  • Like 8

He was a terrific bass player with a sound and style that really stood out. Quite literally; that bright P Bass tone with roundwounds and a pick was unmistakable even on medium wave radio and the lo-fi TV sets most folks had back in the day.

Such an inventive and creative player. The Smiths wouldn't have been the monumental band they became without his contribution. I'm very sad. RIP Andy Rourke.😟

• Like 4

Just read about this on the BBC. Another really influential bass player gone within a week. People tend to mostly associate The Smiths with Morrissey & Marr, but AR was such a big part of the sound too.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, toneknob said:

"(Johnny) Marr’s tribute continued: “Watching him play those dazzling basslines was an absolute privilege and genuinely something to behold. But one time which always comes to mind was when I sat next to him at the mixing desk watching him play his bass on the song The Queen is Dead. It was so impressive that I said to myself ‘I’ll never forget this moment.’"

Perfect.

• Like 1

Holy shite!

He plays on our last single and will be on our album coimng out in October.

Wow. 

My bandleader was in a band with him and dolores from the cranberries. He's going to be shook.

What a tragedy...

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

One of my earliest bass inspirations and truly one of (if not the) greatest melodic bass players of all time. Everything he played with The Smiths was terrific. Playing the way he did with someone like Johnny Marr on the guitar means that he not only anchored the songs rhythmically but also harmonically, giving very crucial context to all of those broken chords and arpeggios. Stephen Street said that he noticed Morrissey would often lean heavily on the bass lines for his vocal melodies and it's not surprising. 

There are so many song recommendations I could give, but This Night Has Opened My Eyes is truly sublime. Perfectly measured, perceptive, meaningful bass playing. One of the best early Smiths tracks that really showcases a band of four equals. 

I cannot praise this man enough. A very sad day. 

Edited by ZilchWoolham
  • Like 10

I met him once, at Nottingham boat club 

despite being star of the show, he stood to one side to allow me to pass. I thanked him and insisted he go first as he’d forgotten more about bass than I’d ever know 

charming man…

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 2

I thought this was a bit sad (but predictable of the music business....Quote from today:

In 1989, Rourke and Joyce took Morrissey and Marr to court, arguing they were owed an equal share of earnings, having only earned 10% each of the group's performance and recording royalties.

Rourke settled for a lump sum of £83,000, but Joyce persisted with the legal action and was awarded around £1m in backdated royalties, and 25% thereafter. Rourke later filed for bankruptcy in 1999.

It's a sad day, and 'This Charming Man' is one of my favourite basslines to play, albeit I attempt to play it finger style...which is probably a mistake!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

One of the true All-Time Greats.

Love his style - incredibly musical, technically superb, but only ever played for the song, never to show off his chops.

So many good lines to choose from... Barbarism (obviously), This Charming Man, Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now, Paint a Vulgar Picture... but I think The Queen is Dead would be my Desert Island Smiths Bassline.

RIP