Why become a member? ×

Bass straps - what you using ?

dmccombe7

23 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

I use a TGI brown leather padded strap. It wasn't cheap, but the padding and width make a big difference in comfort - a five-string Fender Jazz isn't a  lightweight instrument. I like the Iron Crosses, as they kinda suit my vibe.tgi-tgi-strap-leather-padded-iron-cross-brown-black-14174510547009_1080x.thumb.jpg.59b5b7ca91911acf109d2b131891716c.jpg

that's nice, where did you get it from. Searches dont show it anywhere. Can only find 2" guitar straps.

Dave 

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

that's nice, where did you get it from. Searches dont show it anywhere. Can only find 2" guitar straps.

Dave 

I got it from Scayles on Nicolson Street. They had plenty of them in stock when I bought it a few months ago.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mottlefeeder said:

I use straps by Leathergraft (with a 'g') - a Liverpool based small company.

I use the 100mm wide leather-neoprene-suede sandwich ones. 

https://leathergraft.co.uk/shop/ols/products/the-softy-guitar

I use the same type of strap and find it really comfortable. Mine is a custom version as I wanted a shorter length.

• Like 1

I have a selection of 50mm wide leather with webbing backing black guitar straps ranging in age from 10 to 25 years. I also used a wide felt-tip marker to colour the brown leather bits at the ends of the strap black. All traces of branding have worn off them but I have a feeling that some of them might be by Levys.

Edited by BigRedX

I have a variety. Most of them are Couch vegan straps, as they tend to be bought for me by my (vegan) wife, they tend to match the bass that I have them on.  I also have one of the really wide couch straps on the 5005 as it is so heavy.

One is a denali strap, which I got as it was the only thing I could get to match my shuker

I have a couple of leather straps, but they tend to be on things I don't really care that much about, as they don't match (they are brown or black and I have fewer of those now)

I have a Comfort strapp somewhere, comfortable but ugly and I never really got on with it

Oh I also have a really wide maruszczyk strap, which came with my maruszczyk, which is a bit pointless as that chambered swamp ash!

1 hour ago, LewisK1975 said:

Mono Betty for me - Just got a new one from Bass Direct actually.

I have a couple of the Mono Betty straps but don't find them overly comfortable compared to my Gruvgear one. I keep a Mono strap in my bag as a spare fitted with schaller strap locks for a quick change out in event of Gruvgear catastrophic failure which is unlikely but you never know.

Dave

• Like 1

On 14/03/2023 at 12:04, neepheid said:

My preferred strap is the NeoTech Mega Strap. Been that way for years. Made 12lb+ Gibson behemoths manageable

Me too. 

I'm personally a bit baffled that people spend £100+ on leather ones when these are a fraction of the price and miles more comfortable / practical (for me at least) 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mattbass6 said:

Comfort straps for me. Used them for 12 years now, and have never looked elsewhere. 

I'm sure i bought a Comfort strap when they first came out but the rectangular ring that holds the shoulder section to the material section was plastic and it broke. It may have been another similar manufacturer but the company soon changed to a metal ring.

It was comfortable enough but that ring breaking put me right off them.

Dave

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I have a variety. Most of them are Couch vegan straps, as they tend to be bought for me by my (vegan) wife, they tend to match the bass that I have them on.  I also have one of the really wide couch straps on the 5005 as it is so heavy.

One is a denali strap, which I got as it was the only thing I could get to match my shuker

I have a couple of leather straps, but they tend to be on things I don't really care that much about, as they don't match (they are brown or black and I have fewer of those now)

I have a Comfort strapp somewhere, comfortable but ugly and I never really got on with it

Oh I also have a really wide maruszczyk strap, which came with my maruszczyk, which is a bit pointless as that chambered swamp ash!

Where did you get the Couch strap ? Haven't seem them advertised in UK. ?

Dave

Planet Waves embroidered straps. The only downside was playing gigs in a very hot sweaty venue on successive nights, when I didn't leave the strap out of the bass case to dry out after the first night. Putting a cold damp clammy strap on wasn't a nice experience.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Planet Waves embroidered straps. The only downside was playing gigs in a very hot sweaty venue on successive nights, when I didn't leave the strap out of the bass case to dry out after the first night. Putting a cold damp clammy strap on wasn't a nice experience.

I lent a planet waves strap to someone - it cam back rather nasty (only 1 gig mind).

I use a Rosedale extra-long padded leather strap that I got from Ebay for thirty quid; UK designed and made, and very comfortable.  It's 60mm wide, padded but not too thick and is made of nice soft leather:

image.png.6469d785d5367fa3e6b65e47bd47187e.png

I also have an old leather Levy's strap which I love but it's just a bit too short, so I think I'll order another one of the above straps for my other bass.

• Like 1

As I'm a normal height - 6'5" (most other people are abnormally short in my opinion...), I find most straps are too short.

I found XLStraps.com a while ago. (They seem to unfortunately stopped trading I see when looking for their website) They did quite a few styles so I have a few nice wide and long (or "normal") length 3+" wide leather straps.

I'd like some more, but it seems I'll have to look elsewhere now....

Edited by Adey