Why become a member? ×

What's your 'Hey, the bass player's here' lick?

Beedster

6 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Just home from a great night in The Dreadnought in Bathgate with the punk band Emergency Exit. 

Turned out to be busier than we expected. Helped a fair bit by a crowd of Blue Angels appearing to see us. Not sure if they were at the last gig we did in one of their club houses or were just on a night out but the owner said he's never seen them in there before. Maybe more gigs at their other club houses who knows.

Feedback was fantastic and the cream of the crop comment was that a guy had 2 tickets for Belinda Carlisle in Edinburgh tonight but when he heard we were playing and covering Ramones songs he wanted to see us. Now that was nice of him. Those tickets cost him £34 each he said.

Usual phone vids being taken.

All in all i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Dave 

I’d like to see Belinda Carlisle also

• Haha 1

At soundchecks in recent years, I've taken to playing The Cure's Close To Me. Aside the fact that I think I play it well, it covers a lot of the lower register notes so it means I can tweak my amp to suit the room. I can play more complex stuff but I'd rather get the most out of the sound, than show them what I can do. Equally on stage, I don't feel the need to show off. I practice a lot more in recent years and get more compliments these days without having to try to impress. I wouldn't say I was brilliant but I am pretty decent these days.

Testing the mic at soundchecks, the soundman tends to get a comedy skit about this being "the main mic" and "can we get spotlights on stage left?" Incredibly I've never been fired from a band in 35yrs but I've annoyed a lot of singers.  

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, martthebass said:

When I’m sound checking at a big gig with venue based sound guy I always go simple. Psychokiller always works for me!

Oooh that would be pretty cool to play at a soundcheck. I remember hearing that song on a Sounds album that you got free if you collected the weekly tokens or something way back in time.

Dave

• Like 1

We used to have a few pre planned skits to do... if, for instance, drummer busted a snare skin, myself and Gtr would launch into a little comic jazzy number... or if there was a Git catastrophe, busted string etc, myself and drums would do a "max wall dance contest" theme or something... 

Oddly it was never necessary to have a contingency for bass dropping out.. Basses don't go wrong (do they?.. ) 😁

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, neepheid said:

If someone's been taking too long to tune up, or is having to deal with an audience member trying to talk to them mid gig, I'll sometimes start playing this:

image.png.1c68988dac02f4c048dfd1786e3384e8.png

The x2 should really ad nauseum...

You can always modulate, if it's been going on a bit... 

Edited by Waddo Soqable
Spelling

On 16/02/2023 at 20:38, greentext said:

ahhh no way, that is awesome, do you have any sound demos? I'd love to hear it, I know he used a DNA Analogic Bass Dragger, this is a great video of Juan from Pedals and Effects demoing it with the MCA settings (also big up Juan dude is a low key genius)

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you @greentext I've been DIY'ing but hopefully these 4 samples will give you some idea of what this pedal is about.

There is a caveat - I'm playing this on a P Bass with Labella flatwounds as that's all I've got to hand and using my phone mic, so it's not going to give you MCA's 70s Jazz with roundwounds tone and studio quality recording 😆

Gratitude (1khz tone filter on)

Sabotage

Futterman's Rule (normal tone setting)

Futterman's Rule (1khz tone filter on)

This pedal is an absolute filthy beast. I love it.

Edited by Bassybert
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bassybert said:

Oiiiii behave! That sounds spot on!! Can you make me one?! Thanks for taking the time to demo and great playing sounds PHAT! Considering that is with flats on a P to, you know that is going to be 100% bumping with some wounds on a jazzzz \m/ -.- \m/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bassybert said:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you @greentext I've been DIY'ing but hopefully these 4 samples will give you some idea of what this pedal is about.

There is a caveat - I'm playing this on a P Bass with Labella flatwounds as that's all I've got to hand and using my phone mic, so it's not going to give you MCA's 70s Jazz with roundwounds tone and studio quality recording 😆

Gratitude

Sabotage

Futterman's Rule (Silicon Diodes)

Futterman's Rule (Germanium Diodes)

You need to be playing the theme from Roobarb and Custard... 👍

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bassybert said:

Gratitude

Sabotage

Futterman's Rule (Silicon Diodes)

Futterman's Rule (Germanium Diodes)

The difference in sound between silicon and germanium diodes was astounding.  Is that really the only difference  - the diodes - or are other settings also changed?

1 hour ago, bass_dinger said:

The difference in sound between silicon and germanium diodes was astounding.  Is that really the only difference  - the diodes - or are other settings also changed?

I’ve just double checked and it was the tone filter switch that I flicked between for the sounds above (will update the labels). It’s in a plain box as I only recently built it so forgot which switch was the tone and which one was for the diodes. 

I might have another go at recording and toggling between the diodes as well but as the setting I had it on was using the original diodes it’s essentially the same circuit as an original Univox.