Why become a member? ×

Jools Holland Hootananny!

theplumber

I was watching it in the pub, but got distracted by a far more rewarding conversation about old man johns collection of pre war mangles, Now ! ! you all think im joking dont you, but nope that really was his conversation, and it was better than watching this, nothing to do with the people on it, all did a fair job, but on the whole it was just all so F%@*&Ng twee, no attitude at all, nothing new, just ... twee twaddle. 😞

3 hours ago, BillyBass said:

I would have called up the BBC and asked for my money back.

The Hondo logo was covered with a blue "Ford" car sticker, this was spotted by the producer or whoever and they insisted on sticking a bit of black tape over it.. Presumably in case Ford got arsey and sued 'em.. Funny old world eh

36 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Was anything Jules Holland presented ever any good?

I remember trying to watch him years ago and couldn't stand him then. I certainly wouldn't watch him now. 

I’m not keen on Jools as a presenter, but some of the programs he’s fronted have had good, and occasionally, great acts on. The Tube wasn’t a bad program and really had some belting acts on, despite JH and Paula Yates hosting it and Later has had some terrific stuff too (sadly outweighed by stuff that doesn’t float my boat, but that’s on me). One of the moments from later that really sticks with me is seeing Green Day, who were marvellous, and then watching them wide eyed in awe as Jools interviewed Mick Jones and Paul Simenon of The Clash.

However, The Hootenanny is a tired old thing and needs updating/replacing, but I guess it gets the viewing figures to warrant carrying on with it, certainly plenty of folk here watched it. NYE TV is always poor (maybe that should be TV is mostly poor, every single day ;)) no matter what channel is on, anything ‘live’ always has a forced element to it, ‘we’re having a good time, see how jolly we are’ and it’s often that forced, over the top element that makes it so cheesy and bad.

Look out for 31/12/23’s Hootenanny thread, where there will be another thread decrying it (with good reason). 

• Like 2

Later used to be fantastic. The first few series had some wonderful performances and a great mix of musical styles. They might not all be to your taste but surely that was the idea?

Any time I have seen it in the last 10 years or even longer, I can't recall seeing anything which did anything for me. It might be that my tastes no longer accommodate most contemporary music...

or...

it could be, as I have suspected for a while, that new music is generally terrible and it's not me at all! 😁

The problem with Later series 11 to 943 is that it followed a formula of octogenarian that never-was-much-in-the-first-place, 2 or 3 nerdy indie bands armed with four chords, a token soul chanteuse, some worthy 'world music' combo and a weirdo of the week. This has been topped off by Jools' brief and uninteresting wide-eyed fanboi interviews.

• Like 3

TBH I was surprised that it's still going.

These days the sorts of artists that get booked for Jools Holland's programmes have little musical interest for me, so I'll stick to my normal routine of avoiding the actual show and instead, check through the recommendations in threads like this in the hope that there will actually be someone that I like (there hasn't been so far in this particular thread).

3 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

The problem with Later series 11 to 943 is that it followed a formula of octogenarian that never-was-much-in-the-first-place, 2 or 3 nerdy indie bands armed with four chords, a token soul chanteuse, some worthy 'world music' combo and a weirdo of the week. This has been topped off by Jools' brief and uninteresting wide-eyed fanboi interviews.

Pretty much word for word why I never bother with it. The producers must think it's some sort of national treasure type show but the reality is it's a woefully tired , repetitive format that everyone grew tired of years ago.

Given the overwhelming wave of dislike for Hootenanny on here then, I’m wondering what

we would like to see instead? Bearing in mind it’s supposed to be a jolly NYE party with

something to cater for as many tastes as possible without losing the audience along the way?

A genuine question. 🙂

2 minutes ago, casapete said:

Given the overwhelming wave of dislike for Hootenanny on here then, I’m wondering what

we would like to see instead? Bearing in mind it’s supposed to be a jolly NYE party with

something to cater for as many tastes as possible without losing the audience along the way?

A genuine question. 🙂

Since when did losing an audience bother the BBC ?  

38 minutes ago, casapete said:

A genuine question. 🙂

Bring back Jim'll Fix It. 

17 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Watched this on catch-up. Bring back Andy Stewart's Hogmanay even if he is no more. At least that would still have more of a lively atmosphere than this dismal and joyless affair. A feast of cr@pitude from start to finish.

Was this not called the White Heather Club?

'Come in, come in, it's nice to see you, how's yourself, you're looking good'

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

That sounds like a pretty eclectic mix to me - surely what you would want, rather than just one genre?

1 hour ago, casapete said:

A genuine question. 🙂

My thoughts exactly.   I must admit I didn't watch it this year (was in bed by 10pm!) and am no fan of Jools' Boogie Woogie obsession but if this goes, what decent, regular live music TV shows are left, especially on NYE if you don't like the one performer doing a full gig on the other channels?  Ok yes, you could modernise the presenter(s) and staging, but ultimately you would still need a few "nerdy indie bands", a "soul chanteuse" or two and some world music?

I would prefer to see the usual Later format of all independent bands and have no regular full house band but I can see it is a regular paying gig for Jools and his guys so can see why they do it. 

51 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

I would prefer to see the usual Later format of all independent bands and have no regular full house band but I can see it is a regular paying gig for Jools and his guys so can see why they do it. 

I agree.  The point of the show should, however, be presenting a decent output rather than giving Jools' band a regular paycheck.  It used to be a show that had sets by musical legends and introduced new talent.  Trotting out Ruby Turner every year doesn't really fit that bill no matter how good she is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, casapete said:

Given the overwhelming wave of dislike for Hootenanny on here then, I’m wondering what we would like to see instead? Bearing in mind it’s supposed to be a jolly NYE party with

A genuine question. 🙂

I've always detested NYE intensely, it's always seemed like a horribly forced celebration.  I honestly couldn't care any less about partying; my wife likes to see the new year in, but I'd sooner just have an early night.

Like many people I know, I can't bear Jools Holland and the absolute falseness of the Hootenanny; it's recorded weeks beforehand, it's formulaic and tired.  Look at the last one.  Jesus.  While there may be some appeal to a certain sector of the populist music fan, it's just full of artists that should have quit years ago and a few instantly forgettable artists (*except Rachael & Vilray).  And Ruby Turner.

Me?  I'd like to see some kind of indie-rock extravaganza.  I wouldn't mind if it was recorded ahead of new year; nobody is fooling anyone.  Get a bunch of decent new guitar bands, The Beths, Momma, Soccer Mommy, Starcrawler, Snail Mail, Men I Trust, The Interrupters, Sports Team, beabeedobee.  Let them do a three song set each, ten minutes each, and get a decent headline act to do 30 minutes after midnight (maybe the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs or something).  Get Richard Latto to present it.

23 hours ago, casapete said:

I’m wondering what

we would like to see instead?

I would like to see some live music on TV that isn't just the latest boy-girlband on Graham Norton promoting their new single, or Jools' "Later" and Hootenanny - which is about the sum total of TV live music!

I remember back in the 70s80s there was quite a lot - Rock Goes to College, OGWT, TOTP (!), The Tube, Something Else etc, all of which promoted the idea of actual bands playing actual music in an intimate space, rather than just a superstar in a football stadium charging everyone £100+ to get in...

• Like 1

I absolutely LOVED Rachael and Vilray, thought they were fantastic. 

Didn't mind the rest of it - it's mainstream MOR stuff for all the family, It's always going to be pretty mild and inoffensive.

And as mild and inoffensive stuff goes... I thought it was OK :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

I absolutely LOVED Rachael and Vilray, thought they were fantastic. 

Didn't mind the rest of it - it's mainstream MOR stuff for all the family, It's always going to be pretty mild and inoffensive.

And as mild and inoffensive stuff goes... I thought it was OK :) 

I'm much the same myself!

Thought Rachael and Vilray were awesome. I discovered Lake Street Dive through Later, and always thought Rachael was excellent - this was my first time seeing her with Vilray though.

I do quite like Andy Fairweather-Low - I saw him live at The Ferry in Glasgow a few years back and found his show really entertaining. Kind of stemmed from my long running Pink Floyd obsession.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...