Why become a member? ×

Not Wilko, surely?

Steve Browning

RIP Wilko.

I saw Dr Feelgood many times in the 70's, I just loved the high energy of Wilko and Lee.

I played in a Dr Feelgood tribute for a while until 2019.

By his own admission, he was not the greatest guitarist around, but his style was truly unique.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Yes, I'll concede that Mick Green came first, and I love the Pirates as well.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

As a fellow born and bred Canvey Islander for 30 years, I am deeply upset at his passing. A true Canvey icon.

I can well imagine Greg, it hit me hard too.

My band did a short UK tour with Wilko when the ' Oil City Confidential' film was released, great memories.

Edited by wayne58
  • Like 1

Here's my old band "Stupidity" playing She Does it Right, we only covered the Wilko era, and we only played about a dozen gigs, we weren't the greatest band around, but playing those Wilko inspired songs was so much fun for us.

It was recorded on a mobile phone so the audio isn't that great.

We all miss him so much!

Edited by thebrig
  • Like 4

Only saw him once, mid 80's in a tiny dive of a club with Norman on bass (though I did see DF without Wilko). Not particularly my first choice of music but it was slick and professional and he had charisma. A mate of mine loaned Julian Temple a load of rare DF memoribilia to use for the 'Oil City Confidential' documentary. RIP 'Mr Johnson'.

Edited by KevB

A sad day. I saw the news on my FB feed this morning (I was following him). A great character and distinctive and original musician. His autobiography is well worth a read. I'm so glad he had those extra years and he certainly made full use of them. RIP Wilko.

7 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Aw, one of my favourite guitarists in my favourite bands, and such a larger than life character.    Circa 1976 I was briefly known as “Wliko” at school as I had the same haircut as him......

Sadly at around the same time I was known as Purdy, although for much the same reason :( 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

BBC News today described how Wilko, who'd played with the Feelgoods since 1972, enjoyed a four-decade career. I not normally angered by poor maths but today i was. Five decades of honest, take it or leave it, straight ahead gigging. Well done Wilko, hope you and Lee are enjoying a glass or two and a bit of reminiscing this evening 🍻

• Like 1