Why become a member? ×

Your Desert Island Discs..?

Dad3353

I don't remember having seen such a topic here (I could be wrong...); how about the same 'rules' as the R4 programme (courtesy of Roy Plomley...)..? Eight tracks (whole albums count for however many tracks they have, up to a maximum of eight...). Any artist, any period. One book (other than Shakespeare or a bible; they're already there...), and one 'luxury' item, as long as it doesn't allow the breaching of the isolation of the island (so no escape boats, or CB radios etc...). No need for a uber-long discourse on the choices, but a line or two could be nice. Any takers..?

I suppose I'd better offer up my selection, so...

Coming Back To Me (from 'Surrealistic Pillow', Jefferson Airplane...) pure sentimental thoughts on some now lost to me.

Who Knows Where The Time Goes (from 'UnHalfBricking', Fairport Convention...) for the lovely voice of Sandy Denny.

Blues For Allah (from 'Blues For Allah', Grateful Dead...) thought-provoking, meditative.

Hortz Fur Dëhn Štekëhn Ẁešt (from 'Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kömmandöh', Magma...) to frighten away any predatory animals.

Raga Manj Khamaj (from 'Concerto For Sitar & Orchestra', Ravi Shankar...) for peace and joy.

Hejira (from 'Hejia', Joni Mitchell...) to remind me of all the other Joni Mitchell tracks I'd have brought along, if it weren't for the 'rules'.

Why Don't You Try Me (from 'Borderline, Ry Cooder...) Just wishful thinking on my part.

Symphony N° 9 (Schubert...) which would be the one I'd have to save if a wave swept all the others away for ever. I'd cry, though.

A book..? Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid, in English, please. I've read it, several times, in its original English and the excellent French translation; on a desert island or not I still keep re-reading it and understanding (or imagining I understand...) more each time.

A luxury..? A set of drums. My own Camco set if possible, or a darned good e-kit (and its power source etc...) if not. I suspect a set of acoustic drums would be more in the spirit of the thing, though, so I'll settle on the Camco.

There, that's me set up for a while, hoping that there's fresh water, and packets of seeds get washed up occasionally so that I may grow radishes, tomatoes, maybe even lentils and beans if the island geography supports primitive culture. I won't be on there long, though; I'm now 72, so I've had my three score years and ten. Maybe enough time for a crop or two, with luck. :hi:

Edited by Dad3353
Corrected for spelling. (D'Oh..!)
  • Like 4

Always thought it was a dumb concept, exposure to any music or literature for that long would render them meaningless.

I guess the bible and the shakespeare would make decent kindling.

Luxury item: a phone/iPod loaded with my entire music collection, a power source and 1980's era Kate Bush, am I doing this right?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, WinterMute said:

Always thought it was a dumb concept, exposure to any music or literature for that long would render them meaningless.

I guess the bible and the shakespeare would make decent kindling.

Luxury item: a phone/iPod loaded with my entire music collection, a power source and 1980's era Kate Bush, am I doing this right?

I'm afraid Kate Bush is already on my island. Sorry. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

A group of my friends actually did this a few years ago. Having had a look only one of my choices has changed since then:

Songs in order of their release date:

"Seven Seas Of Rye" Queen

"Being Boiled" (Travelogue version) The Human League

"Stepin' Out" Joe Jackson

"Doot-Doot" Freur

"New Wave Jacket (Reform)" Polysics

"World's End Supernova" Kuruli

"The District Sleeps Alone Tonight" The Postal Service

"Kill The Lights" The Birthday Massacre

Book would either be "Jitterbug Perfume" by Tom Robbins or "Fool On The Hill" by Matt Ruff, most likely the latter.

And my luxury item would be a Mac loaded with a copy of Logic (and of course some means of powering it) so I could compose some new music to go with my listening choices.

• Thanks 1

1. Wonderous Stories - Yes (Going for the One). First 'proper' rock song/band I got into as a kid. Buying the Yesshows album got me started on my musical 'career' so it will always bring back memories of those early days.

2. Garden of Paradise - Steve Hillage (Rainbow Dome Musick). A great chill-out piece and takes me back to the summer of 86, that glorious pause between college and work when everything is possible.

3. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd (Pulse). I was at the gig they recorded for Pulse. This was the first song I sang in a band, and when the audience joined me for the chorus the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

4. Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel (Any live version). This is a song that never fails to pick me up out of a bad mood. And the pace is just right for walking, so I'd have it blaring as I explored my island, looking for Kate Bush. 😀

5. Golden Air - Sun's Signature. A new one that has rapidly grown on me. A song for watching the sun rise over the endless ocean.

6. Three Little Birds - Bob Marley (Exodus). I climbed Kilimanjaro in 2014 and this was in my head during the final night ascent to the crater rim. I slowed the tempo to fit the relentless plodding pace and kept telling myself every little thing gonna be alright. And it was.

7. Ride of the Valkyries - Wagner. Because on the days when I'm angry at being marooned on my island, I need a soundtrack to be angry to.

8. I'll Find My Way Home - Jon and Vangelis (Friends of Mr Cairo). Apart from the obvious message of the title, this was the song I used to listen to before my 'A' level exams.

The one I'd rescue from the waves - probably Wonderous Stories for the specific memories.

Book - Lord of the Rings. Plenty to get into there.

Luxury - a camera that uses the same power source as the device that plays my discs. Failing that, pen and paper to record my diary. I keep a record of all my treks and travels.

Most of my musical choices are songs that generate strong, pleasant memories. I guess that would go some way to keeping me going during my isolation.

That and my search for Kate. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You'd have to have a bit of everything....

Holiday in Cambodia - Dead Kennedys

Sunk in the Funk - Jamaaladeen Tacuma (Dreamscape version)

Italian Concerto - Jacques Loussier (off Play Bach)

Physical Love - Bootsy's Rubber Band

You Don't Love Me Dub - Dawn Penn

Violent and Funky - Infectious Grooves

Autobahn - Kraftwerk

Get up offa that thing - James Brown

and I'd save the Jamaaladeen Tacuma disc - it's jazz, funk, rock and oddness all in one.

Book would be Rockclimbs in Snowdonia by Paul Williams.

and luxury would be either be full home studio including bass or a never ending barrel of Butty Bach!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's impossible to limit to just 8 so here are the first ones that come to mind...

Nimrod - Elgar

Last Plane Out - Toy Matinee

Love's The Jailer - Lake

Take Me Away (Together As One) - Paul Stanley

(I've Been) Searchin' So Long - Chicago

Girl Can't Help It - Journey

Wichita Lineman - Glen Campbell

My Old School - Steely Dan

Book - A photo album of my loved ones

Luxury item - A comfy bed

Edited by cetera
grammar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Dad3353 changed the title to Your Desert Island Discs..?

I always thought it's a difficult job to chose. There are songs I love because they stand alone to me as great pieces of music. Then there are songs that I dont feel are great, but they were in my head at important or emotional times in my life, so they trigger good vibes. 

• Like 1

Au Fond du Temple Saint - (The Friendship Duet from the Pearl Fishers) Bizet 

Like a Rolling Stone - Live version by Jimi Hendrix

You Only Live Once - The Strokes

Welcome to The Black Parade - My Chemical Romance

Soul To Squeeze  - Red Hot Chillies

Rockit - Herbie Hancock

Forbidden Colours - David Sylvian and Ryuichi Sakamoto

Since I've Been Loving You - Led Zep

Book - Crime and Punishment (I've read it before but it would keep me going for a while. and by the time I finished it would probably have forgotten the beginning which isn't difficult because not much happens but it's beautifully written).  

Luxury item a never ending bottle of cold Viognier (assuming its a hot desert island).  Can I also have a lighter so I can burn the Shakespeare which I detest. 

• Thanks 1

Sleepwalk - Santo and Johnny 

Neon Knights - Sabbath 

Cum on feel the Noize - Slade 

Waltz of the Flowers - Tchaikovsky 

The Future - Leonard Cohen 

Silver Springs - Fleetwood Mac 

I only have eyes for you- Art Garfunkel 

Run like Hell - Pink Floyd 

Luxury item - Rachel Riley 

Book - Red Storm Rising

• Thanks 1

In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel 

Time Stand Still - Rush

Cliffs of Dover - Eric Johnson 

The Rain Song - Zeppelin 

Glittering Prize  - Simple Minds

Belief - John Mayer

Kid Charlemagne - Steely Dan

Red Rain - Peter Gabriel 

Book - World According To Garp - John Irving

Luxury Item - My Simon & Patrick Rosewood Pro

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OK, going to do this off the top of my head, as, like many others, it will change on an hourly basis:

Mozart Grand Mass in Cm 

Donna Summer McArthur Park 

Duke Ellington Take the A Train 

Working Week Inner City Blues 

Bob Marley No Woman No Cry 

Dust Springfield Just a Little Loving 

Ray Charles Georgia on my Mind 

Aretha Franklin I Never Loved a Man 

Book is a tough one, as I've only ever re-read one book. I'll go for Khaled Hosseini A Thousand Splendid Suns 

Luxury item a camera.

• Thanks 1

A good shotgun in case some fools might think they would be welcome is more than enough to listen to the nature with my wife, and our cats or pets of the moment.

Yes, I do hate human beings.

Edited by Hellzero
Spelling

my tastes are rather narrow, it's tricky keeping it down to 8

That'll Be the Day - Buddy Holly

I'm a Man - Spencer Davis

And Your Bird Can Sing - The Beatles

All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

Street Fighting Man - Rolling Stones

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Chasing the Night - The Ramones

Safe European Home - The Clash

Not a big reader, so a book of sudoku puzzles

Luxury item would be a pub

• Thanks 1

Discs

(Ask me next week, it'll be a different list. Although nos.1 and 5 are permanent fixtures in My Top Ten.)

1. Shipbuilding, Robert Wyatt
  2. Mood Swings, Mike Stern. One of Jaco’s last recordings, playing along with it would be a challenge that would keep me occupied for quite a while.
  3. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Dream Theater. 42 minutes of proggy excess.
  4. The Essential, from Mark King’s solo album Influences.
  5. Nimrod, from Elgar’s Enigma Variations.
  6. Jupiter, from Holst’s Planets Suite.
  7. Awaken, Yes – the live House Of Yes version.
  8. 43, Level 42 – ideally a live bootleg with the big percussion break.

Choosing just one to flee with would be incredibly difficult. I’d have to make a tough last-minute choice,

probably between nos.3 & 4.

Book

A Painted House, John Grisham. His best book by a country mile, and not a lawyer in sight.

I’d absolutely love the Shakespeare, but you can keep the bible. Can I have a philosophical tome instead?

Luxury

I suppose a bass is a bit obvious :lol: my Tanglewood ABG would be perfect, and if I can have a few spare sets of Elixirs too that’d be great. 

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

I reckon you’d have to chose really old 78 rpm records as they’ll be no electricity and your only hope of playing discs will be on a wind up gramophone.🤣

Welcome to the 21st Century -_-...

HhQu9Z3.jpg

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 3