Why become a member? ×

Things I'd like manufacturers to do...

la bam

5 hours ago, Grimalkin said:
Jaco was an advocate of lines, there's a very good reason for that...

Was he? I can't see anything where he is talking about them - do you have a link?

5 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

I'm afraid Franklin is no Jaco, nor Willis:

And why does that makes what he says wrong?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Fender — make stainless steel .045 – .100 flatwounds like the 9050 set, but sized for a string-thru mustang bass. With Daphne blue or black silks please, and ensure the strings are all nice and smooth like LaBellas or Chromes.

Doesn’t the JMJ Mustang come with exactly this? Or are they not strung through the body?

15 minutes ago, Ramirez said:

Doesn’t the JMJ Mustang come with exactly this? Or are they not strung through the body?

No The JMJ comes with 9050s which are long scale — they are designed for 34" scale basses so the wound part of the E string goes around the tuner post on mustangs. They work but are not elegant, and they have snot green silks. It just seems odd that Fender don't supply a 32" medium scale set when D'addario & LaBella sell medium scale stainless steel flats that fit perfectly but cost more than the Fenders.

Make the method for fitting IEC mains connectors universal. 

I think the straight side should be at the bottom, but every time I use my Fender Rumble

combo I forget that it’s ‘upside down’. All my other amps are the other way round.

Also make battery compartments on active basses more robust and easier to use.

I’ve always thought the type that Musicman use are the best. Think Fender have

used these for a while now too. 

Standardise knob order on basses. I understand there are different features, but where those features are the same, put them in the same place.

The two basses nearest to me here are Volume, balance, stacked Mid/Freq, stacked Bass/Treble and Volume, balance, stacked bass/Treble, stacked Mid/Freq.

Even with manufacturers, my two spectors are volume / volume / bass / treble and Voume / balance / Stacked mid/freq / stacked bass/treble. And the volume of that last one is clearly in the wrong place. At least ibanez are internally consistent.

Pickup manufacturers, why do you all use the same colours but for different parts? Either use the same colour for the same thing or different colours for different things.

15 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I know that I will get agreement from all owners of AJR basses.

All bass manufacturers...install electronics covers with magnets rather than screws. Makes access soooo much easier. 

I wouldn't feel super comfortable with magnets only tbh. But something like a "clipping system" of any sort, that'd be great :P

32 minutes ago, mario_buoninfante said:

I wouldn't feel super comfortable with magnets only tbh. But something like a "clipping system" of any sort, that'd be great :P

I have basses with magnets only and there really is no danger of them falling out accidently.

Also I believe all alpher basses have magnets only and I haven't heard people complaining about that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mario_buoninfante said:

Warwicks have that, and it's fine as long as you and all the preceding owners are reasonably careful, but the clips can break and getting replacements then isn't always easy. I'd vote for magnets.

• Like 2