Why become a member? ×

Ones that got away?

prowla

In the past few months I've had my eye on some basses I've always wanted, but passed on them or have missed out on; these include:

• An Epiphone Thunderbird not far from me - the road-worn made me dither well past the point someone else bought it.
  • A Washburn 8-string bass.
  • A Roland (Ibanez) synth bass.
  • A John Birch Rickenbacker copy which had a badly twisted neck.
  • (Possibly) a Burns Flyte - needs work and asking price is higher than I'd like to pay.

Is anybody else letting their bucket-list items go?

There's been a few this year that I missed out on that would've been nice to have.........

Revelation PB fretless. Was watching it on eBay for about a week and, when it came time to bid, I was in an area with poor mobile reception. I put my bid in, but it didn't register. It went for peanuts and I was very close to breaking my phone!!!!

Squier Classic Vibe P. It was from the original run, red ala Pino and still had the sticker on it. It looked mint. Saw it in Gumtree within 20mins of the post going up and it was priced at £200. I messaged and heard nothing. Later in the day I saw it on FB so messaged again and was told I had just missed out by 5 mins in it. I said about contacting him through Gumtree, but he missed it and had already agreed the sale. The next day the other buyer put it back in FB for £500, so made himself a tidy little profit there.

I'm currently umming and arrring over an Epiphone t'bird classic pro that's priced decently and near me. I regret selling my white one, this one is burst and that's the only reason I haven't bought it. So I'll likely add that to this list in a few days when someone else has it!

I don't particularly want any specific bass until I see one I like at the right price. 

Two absolute corkers I missed out on on here in the past 12 months were a six string multi scale ibanez and a six string Cort that was obscenely cheap considering the spec. 

I say "missed out on". I didn't really have any realistic option to buy and ship them considering the gift that keeps on giving would negate any value in getting them cheap in the first place. 

No recent ones but I have been kicking myself for the last 2 & a half years. I've always had GAS for a through-neck 2xP Precision type. If it was vintage MIJ and had a Jazz-width neck, then it would be perfect. Essentially, one of the 2-pickup variants here:

1457751622_Fernandes1980Through-NeckPBasses.thumb.jpg.1e076c01b0542b50c09f7d0139e7666e.jpg

Rarer than a Brexit benefit, never marketed outside Japan - in fact something I'd never seen outside of a catalogue.

Came within a fag-paper of buying one from @Beedster, who IIRC imported it from Japan but didn't get on with the narrow neck. Bailed at the last moment because... because... I DON'T KNOW WHY!!!

Didn't even save any pics of it. Buggerbuggerbuggerbugger. :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I'm currently umming and arrring over an Epiphone t'bird classic pro that's priced decently and near me. I regret selling my white one, this one is burst and that's the only reason I haven't bought it. So I'll likely add that to this list in a few days when someone else has it!

Classic Pro, as in 3 point bridge and Gibson TB+ pickups?

Is the issue that burst == boring?

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

Classic Pro, as in 3 point bridge and Gibson TB+ pickups?

Is the issue that burst == boring?

Yup, that's the one. I love those pups, they're dark and massive sounding.

There's a couple of issues really. Mostly, it's not the one I used to own and I really want my one back (I did a load of fun shows with it and am being overly sentimental). I do think they look better in white, but don't have anything against burst. I've got 2 basses in sunburst already so part of me doesn't want another one, even though the tbirds are more tobacco/vintage burst.

I suppose I could always get it and keep a hold of it until I get a chance to get my one back. (I have the blokes deets and he might sell it this year)

5 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Given my finances, if I bought another bass now I’d end up having to chop it up for firewood to survive the winter…

Exactly.

Given the state of things financial,  discretionary purchases are a big no-no.

It's essentials only for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

One got away a couple of weeks ago. It's a long story though. 

There was a thread on here earlier in the year titled 'Impossible desires', or something like that. 

I posted on there about a Peavey T40 I'd seen in The Bass Gallery,  and how I'd absolutely fallen for it, but the price was crazy. 

The seller saw my post and contacted me and offered to sell it privately at a very discounted price, but at the time it was still more than I wanted to spend. 

Fast forward a couple of months and I couldn't get that bass out of my mind. 

I decided to sell a bit of gear so the money didn't have to come out of the bank, just to justify it to myself. If I raised enough I'd contact the seller. 

The first item up for sale was a Yamaha BB1024X. A buyer contacted me and asked if I was interest in trades. I explained that I was raising funds for a T40, so no. 

He replied, "Yeah I've got that bug." and sent a picture of four T40s lined up. We chatted back and fourth and he reckoned the one I was after was priced right and said he'd snap it up if it was an '82, he was trying to collect every finish from his birth year! 

Well if you believe in fate then that must've been a sign. 

I'd been keeping an eye on The Bass Gallery and it was still there. 

I sold the BB a couple of days later so half the funds were there and decided to contact the seller. 

"Yeah I've decided to keep it, I've asked the Gallery to take it down." 

Well you could've heard the air coming out of me I deflated so rapidly. 

All that build up. Oh well, you snooze you lose! As they say. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Bassassin said:

No recent ones but I have been kicking myself for the last 2 & a half years. I've always had GAS for a through-neck 2xP Precision type. If it was vintage MIJ and had a Jazz-width neck, then it would be perfect. Essentially, one of the 2-pickup variants here:

1457751622_Fernandes1980Through-NeckPBasses.thumb.jpg.1e076c01b0542b50c09f7d0139e7666e.jpg

Rarer than a Brexit benefit, never marketed outside Japan - in fact something I'd never seen outside of a catalogue.

Came within a fag-paper of buying one from @Beedster, who IIRC imported it from Japan but didn't get on with the narrow neck. Bailed at the last moment because... because... I DON'T KNOW WHY!!!

Didn't even save any pics of it. Buggerbuggerbuggerbugger. :(

One on Reverb at the mo!

4C1EE159-392D-4E75-9ED1-4591360ED152.thumb.png.a477b93f395c6fc3a644f4cb1fe04f78.png

I was offered an exchange once for a 1961 fender Jazz which in the 80’s was just an old bass, the guy wanted my old battered BSA starfire for it and I told him to do one. 
Even though the Starfire would have been worth a few quid now too (I can’t even remember what I did with it or where it went) 
I somehow think I should have done the deal. 
It did play like butter too 🥺

i was trying to chase down a wal... i heard that mik karn was trying to offload a bass (i had no idea he was not well at the time)

but on further enquiries it turned out to be a travis bean ...it was only some time later that the penny dropped on what i had just passed up on.

Edited by Musicman666

My "one that got away" was a Wal Mk 1 with shedua front and rear facings that I believe I attempted to buy on this very forum for 1700 GBP years ago. I had already transferred the money through PayPal, when the seller suddenly told me the deal was off. He had already packaged the bass and taken it to the post office, but had some issues there because of the size of his package (ha!). He told me he saw it as a sign that he shouldn't part with it, and decided to keep it. He transferred the money back to me (again through PayPal) minus almost 100 GBP in transfer costs, conversion rates from Euro to GBP and back and I then had to struggle to get that back. 

And there was a Status S2 Classic 4-string that I narrowly missed out on at first, but was still able to buy 11 years later (!) when it popped back up for sale on the very same website (leftybass.com).

Somebody offered me a Status Jonas Hellborg as a trade on my Stingray and I turned him down. I didn't want it then but golly do I want it now. If anyone knows where one is, ideally for the £750 it was offered in trade for...

hellborg-jpg.288173

Very recently I saw a 1980 EBMM 2 EQ Stingray on Facebook Marketplace for roughly half the price of an identical model on Reverb. Now I can’t confirm if the FB offering was a scam or just a post by an idiot, but it was a long way from me and frankly if I bought another bass right now I’d be looking at a divorce. 

A few years back, someone on here sold a Washburn Pat Badger signature prototype. Bantam style body shape, active EMG P/J (with reverse P pup). I could tell how awesome it sounded just by looking at it. It was up for around £450, which I thought was an absolute steal, but missed it by a couple of days. 

Being an old geezer I remember when used stuff was cheap , and the term “vintage” hadn’t come into play. Used meant cheap , and I wish I had been able to invest at the time. Could have picked up EB3s for around $300. Pbasses were 4/5 hundred bucks , some were pre CBS , there was no distinction at the time. 

8 hours ago, WillyPete said:

Someone sniped a Fender Cowpoke from me today, with 2 seconds to go.

I was watching that (on ebay?); more out of interest since I have one which had some work done and was converted to passive; I still need to get it refin'd.

There was a Cowpoke neck going at a couple of Bass Bashes and retrospectively I wish I'd grabbed it.