Why become a member? ×

Taking Extended Leave From The Bass

Supernaut

Ever since the pandemic, the bass has took a back seat to much more important things in my life. 

I'm not quitting but rather taking an extended break. Maybe I don't have the motivation to gig anymore? Maybe other things bring me more happiness? 

Has anyone else took a break to come back at a later date?

I suppose I took a break during the pandemic.  I was worried during the lockdowns that I had fallen out of love with playing bass - I think I picked up and played a bass twice in as many years.  I was giving some serious thought to jacking in the bands.  However, I decided to go back to rehearsals once they were allowed to see how I felt and I'm glad I did.  So yes, I took a break (albeit enforced) and came back.  What I realise now is that I have no love for playing bass by itself (unless I'm learning new songs) - I derive my pleasure in it by playing with others in bands.

If you want to take a break, by all means do so.  Usual stuff applies - don't have a fire sale of all your gear right away etc.

• Like 2

I took a break about 7 years ago after the last band finished.

Didnt pick up a bass for about 3 years and sold all my gear.

It did wonders for my life - I could concentrate on work and myself without all the hassle of being in a band.

Weirdly though, and pure luck, when I decided to return I auditioned for a band and got the gig, and it's been full on again since then, and I love it.

Edited by la bam

Yep, I took a break from music in general from 1991 to 1996, didn`t play at all, go to any gigs or even buy any music. I was just sick of gigging and playing every weekend, and wanted to be in the pub with my mates - some ambition huh.

Then I started up again, just buying CDs, bought myself a Fender Stratocaster and started up a punk covers band, one gig say every 2 months or so, fizzled out after a couple of years but the flame had been re-ignited.

Been in bands ever since then and have realised that a lot of my dislike for gigging in my early years, without going into it too much was actually signs of a drink problem. Now unshackled from booze I love gigging, but at 56 have to accept my limits.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with taking a break  - I've had a couple of lengthy complete breaks from playing, 1 voluntary and 1 due to injury.

If you are just fed up with the time/energy drain of being in a band and gigging, it might be better to spend a small and manageable amount of time on learning something new musically that interests you (not things that are mandated by the needs of being a supportive band player) - the older you get, the harder it is to regain your momentum so having a reinvigorating change is better than a complete layoff.

I've taken two breaks from gigging in 45+ years - first time for a year when my wife was expecting our daughter,

and then later the Covid years.

By the time my daughter was born I was actually missing it a lot, and then a few months later got offered a place

in a resident nightclub band which I loved. The Covid 'break' was much different - an enforced hiatus which made

me both sad and a bit angry at the same time. Now we're back doing it again I still love gigging but realise I'll 

probably be contemplating how it's going to work out as possible retirement looms. Can't see me ever giving

it up completely though, at least not while I'm able to manage it.

Edit - just realised after reading the post above that I did have a few weeks off after breaking my shoulder.

Started gigging ASAP afterwards though, playing keyboard bass as I couldn't manage my Stingray for a while!

Edited by casapete
Update

Yes. I switched to guitar for years which gave me a fresh perspective and was a nice change. Then in 2019 I took a full year out of music apart from one or two acoustic gigs. I sold off almost everything. It was liberating and a brilliant year. All the time and energy that went into bands and guitars went into rc cars, something I’d wanted to do since I was a kid. 
When I came back to bass it was from a much better place. Now I’m back playing bass for gigs every week and guitar now and then. I own no rc cars and am enjoying what I do again. 

Edited by gafbass02

I've had a couple of voluntary breaks. The first was for around 3 years and was because I was fed up with what the band were doing (never changing set, 'wing it' attitude, same gig different venue etc). I became disillusioned with the whole playing live thing and my motivation disappeared. I clearly recall the last gig I played before this break - I was stood on stage at a club in the Welsh Valleys playing only root notes to songs I didn't really have to think about, thinking about how much I could sell my amp for. 😀  I did a little recording at home but played very little and sold most of my gear. I returned to dep, ironically for the same band, as a favour. The set list was very similar to the one I'd left behind several years before but my attitude had mellowed a little and I had a fresh perspective on it. I brought a couple of new tunes to the band and the depping became permanent. I had to invest in a bass amp and a second bass to replace the stuff I'd sold, but that was no hardship.

The second break was for about 18 months when my mum was ill and I was looking after her. It wasn't practical to be too far away at gigs as she was seriously ill and I was on call. I stepped down so the band could get a bassist in. (As it happens they never actually got a regular bassist but made do with deps - nothing to do with keeping the slot open for me). I didn't sell any gear this time but I found that the break helped me refresh once again. After my mum passed away, I needed things to get me back on my feet and playing live was one therapy that helped. I depped for a while, did some short lived band projects and then fell in with a couple of old band mates to gig regularly. I spent most of lockdown working in one of the field hospitals and my down time was spent getting better on the bass.

Both breaks gave me the space to recharge the bass playing batteries and if you're feeling a little jaded or disillusioned I'd recommend a break as one way of overcoming it. Play as little or as often as you feel like, think carefully before selling gear (although a clear out can be therapeutic too). Only come back to the gigs when you're ready. I kept in touch with my mates in the bands I'd been with, went to see their gigs etc so I didn't cut myself off 100%.  

Good luck.

Very similar experience to a few others... was in bands through my teens & twenties (bass of course), then took time out after one band imploded, life got in the way and didn't think about it for a few years. Was still into music & buying CD's, just wasn't that interested in playing.

The then local college did adult education courses, and they had a Music Technology course, did that for something to do. Of course, doing music tech, you need something to record, so that started off playing again, then that started off buying guitars & basses, as well as other bits of music tech (4 tracks, DAW's, audio interfaces, drum machines, etc.). In the end, that led onto to playing guitar in a band, which was kind of all consuming because I was writing the songs as well. 

Had to take a break from that when the kids were born, then we relocated, so that all had to take a back seat. So, again, life got in the way, and didn't think about it for a few years, until something came up and a band opportunity arose. Been through a few line up changes, but the guitarist & I are sticking with it. Currently doing some recording in a local studio.

In the early 2000s after a band I had dedicated most of my non-working hours for the previous 13 years split up I took a break from bands.

However this co-incided with my discovery that my very first band from the late 70s/early 80s had acquired a bit of a cult following and a couple of rather impressive review including one by Johan Kugelberg and as a result of this the Hyped To Death label were keen to release a CD of our back catalogue. Therefore I spent a very pleasant 2 years slowly working my way through digitally restoring about 5 hours worth of recordings and along with my old band mates deciding which songs should go on the CD and then designing the sleeve artwork to go with it. It was a pleasant low-key alternative to my previous musical activities; although I think having a definite outcome (having the music released on CD by someone else) most certainly helped.

When I was ready to join another band, I looked for one where I could simply turn up to rehearsals and gigs and play bass, nothing more was expected of me, in terms of song writing, recording, organising gigs etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Has anyone else took a break to come back at a later date?

I put it down for three years. It was hell coming back but well worth the effort. If I had known how hard it would be to get it back I like to think I would have maintained my practice, but at the time I had nothing to practice for and solo bass doesn't amuse me.

I put the bass down for three years when doing my accountancy studies. As soon as they were complete, and I was looking forward to getting back into playing bass, I accidentally slammed a car door on to the index and middle fingers of my right hand. This stalled the big comeback by a few more weeks.

Currently on a bit of a break after leaving my last band a couple of months ago.  Just bought a digital piano, so I'm trying to learn some stuff on there. Having a break from bass, which I do regularly, usually means I'm playing guitar instead... or in this case piano. I'll be back to bass sooner or later.

I stopped for a while about 25 years ago, just got tired and dispondent with the whole nonsense of trying to write, create and do band stuff.

There was one key moment where I questioned why I was bothering with it all; had a fire sale but hung onto an old Precision bass just in case.

I came back slowly.  2000/2001.  A neighbour knew a (very good) drummer who had a lovely home studio, so we had a chat, I bought a Bass POD and we we just jammed at his place with everyone on headphones.

In my 20s I was playing regularly in function bands and on a semi-pro basis, to earn extra dosh while I was doing my engineering studies. Over the last 20+ years I've taken several breaks from bands due to marriage failures, bringing up kids, serial dating, further professional qualifications and other interests. It's not just the bass that's taken a back seat but all my instruments. Music tastes have also permanently shifted from guitar based stuff towards electronica so there's been very little that's inspiring me to play bass. Recently though I've been doing occasional depping which has been enjoyable but just a handful of gigs a year is enough to satisfy. It's clear I was never cut out to be a pro.

1 hour ago, Saul Panzer said:

A forced break when I injured my back earlier this year, couldn't physically hold up enough weight to lift the thing up for nearly 2 months.

That would be the same as me. Can lift it for about 3-4 hours but after that it gets way too heavy. two months? forget it!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Can lift it for about 3-4 hours but after that it gets way too heavy. two months? forget it!

3-4 minutes would've been enough at that time, best I could manage was sad glances and plucking a string on the neck to remind myself what they sounded like.

I think taking a break can be a good thing if you haven't fallen out of love with the instrument, makes the heart grow fonder and all that.