Why become a member? ×

Unpaid to Play?

This was on our local Facebook page:

Calling all budding musicians and bands!
We are running The South-West’s first ever pop up alcohol free bar! This will be a celebration of alcohol free drinks which includes 4 full fridges and 6 taps of draught AF beer and cider, come and see how far AF drinks have come!
The event is running for 4 Saturdays from 10th-31st July from 12pm-8pm at Wayside Farm, Evercreech, BA4 6QW and it would be great to have some live music. This has been big outlay for us so can’t pay but can offer you drinks on the house and of course you can drive home! 😉

First reply: Sick and tired of young musos being asked to perform not nothing....their teachers didn't provide the lessons for nothing!
Organiser reply: Sorry didn’t mean to offend. Just thought it might be nice to offer up an opportunity rather than playing recorded music

Don't think the organiser realises if they are playing recorded music they may need a license  they buy and we all know the other arguements: expect the organisers are paying themselves something etc etc, why are musicians 'fiscally invisible'?

I guess the upside is there won't be drunken idiots climbing on stage or asking you to play 'Sweet Caroline'

Some musicians just like playing to a public, and don't consider it to be a job; they probably like the change from whatever work they do during the week to pay the bills. It's certainly the case for our band; we've never charged for what we play, and do it because we want to. We play rarely (I'm now retired...), and all our gear was bought just for ourselves, whether we play out or not. Not all musicians are professional, and many give a high level of performance. If asked to play for nothing, it's simple enough to just decline or accept, isn't it..? B|

• Like 7

Of course, but if you play for free it creates a precedent.

However we did a free gig 3 weeks ago ( I agreed to do it for drinks and food). On the day was told we got our first drink free and that was it. I grudgingly did the gig and bit my tongue at the next rehearsal only to be told we'd got 3 paying gigs from our exposure at the free gig. ( It appeared no-one was paying attention to us and as it was the first outside  event in that village for 14 months everyone was just enjoying chatting)

• Like 2

It has always been the case, playing music is perceived to be "fun" ( which it is of course) and consequently they balk at the idea of paying you for it..."why pay when they'll do it for nothing" is kind of institutionalised thinking

Edited by Waddo Soqable
  • Like 2

If it's a general 'if you don't mind not being paid, please come along and play' type thing then fine - it's up to you if you take them up on their offer or not.  I do object to events messaging us direct and asking us to play for nothing, but we usualy reply saying that we would love to play for free - will they be supplying a PA, travel expenses and food and drink for the day?

I honestly don't think there's any malice or greed behind these requests, most people just have no idea of what's involved in putting a band on. 

Just before plague, I was a punter at a beer festival where they had a bunch of bands & solo artists playing for free.  The festival provided  stage but no PA, so each artist was loading in, setting up & soundchecking a seperate PA, plus there was no stage management to make sure bands didn't overrun their set. It was utter facking chaos  - the punters spent more time watching bands setting up and breaking down than actually playing.

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

Of course, but if you play for free it creates a precedent.

However we did a free gig 3 weeks ago ( I agreed to do it for drinks and food). On the day was told we got our first drink free and that was it. I grudgingly did the gig and bit my tongue at the next rehearsal only to be told we'd got 3 paying gigs from our exposure at the free gig. ( It appeared no-one was paying attention to us and as it was the first outside  event in that village for 14 months everyone was just enjoying chatting)

The horrible cynic in me is wondering if they'll actually happen, as keeping to promises doesn't seem a high priority. 

I think it's too easy to see this pay/no pay situation as a binary, black -v- white thing. In my experience, it's anything but.

Right now I'm involved with four bands.

1. Junkyard Dogs - a fully commercial pubrock band, playing together for many years. Under normal circumstances we would not accept no-pay gigs. During Covid we volunteered to play two freebies to help certain venues stay in business. Immediately post-Covid we volunteered to play one more freeby simply because we were so rusty after eight months that we'd have been embarrassed to ask for money. Apart from that, all the gigs in our 2021 diary are paid, and more-or-less properly.

2. Damo & The Dynamites - a fully commercial rock'n'roll band, playing together for three years. Under normal circumstances we would not accept no-pay gigs. During Covid we volunteered to play two freebies to help certain venues stay in business. Immediately post-Covid we volunteered to play one more freeby to help a venue with no music budget (yet) but where we expect to get many further paid gigs. Apart from that, all the gigs in our 2021 diary are paid, and more-or-less properly.

3. Soul Seniors - a Lockdown project which has more-or-less survived, but we're a long way from being tight and I'm the only member with any recent gig experience. We've played no gigs at all yet, and we'd jump at the chance of playing a few freebies. Don't much care why they're not paying or what excuse they're giving ... we need some low-stress no-pressure gigs to gel properly, and we'd be playing for nowt because that happens to suit us just now.

4. Fat Walters Band - a band that died a few years ago but suddenly revived last month. The format of the band has changed radically, again I'm the only member with recent gig experience, the repertoire is about 50% different from before, and the choice of material is - frankly - not commercial. Very few venues would be prepared to pay us, and we're far more likely to be offered mid-week gigs for beer money.

If the mini-fest in the OP were reachable from here, I'd have no problem in offering the latter two bands. Stealing bread from the mouths of starving musicians? Bollocks. If the organisers have no budget for music and have come right out and said so, then what's the issue? No band is getting paid, and the mini-fest will have to put up with whatever music is available free. In my case, that would be my two weaker bands, neither of whom are actually good enough (right now) to charge a fee anyway. 😂

Edited by Happy Jack
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1