Why become a member? ×

I have been ripped off (by Mick Mason of Leicester - Facebook scammer/thief)

prowla

33 minutes ago, ped said:

Facebook Marketplace. Complete free for all - some great folks but millions of complete wasters.  

Ive sold a few things through FB marketplace without issues, but I’m getting quite a few time wasters at the moment. FB is always a last resort anyway. 

44 minutes ago, ped said:

Facebook Marketplace. Complete free for all - some great folks but millions of complete wasters. 

“pay peanuts, get monkeys”

Since introducing a fee to sell here I can count the number of problem sellers on one hand. 

Only use PayPal, NEVER gift, unless you’re giving an actual gift. 

out of interest - did it make a big difference to the amount of stuff the mods had to get involved in? 

5 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

This particular situation is shitty, but I don't think is representative of things in general. The majority of people want the best for themselves and for those around them. I'm glad that the fee helps to keep things sensible here, but FB doesn't seem very Mad Max to me- and while I feel a sense of comfort listing on Basschat, FB has actually been more successful for me recently.

Must admit most of the stuff ive sold this year has been on FB, with no issues at all. The only difference i can see is they have all been strangers, and as mentioned by Ped, not very talkative. Ive had time wasters from both places. I definitely feel safer selling on here though. 

I've been buying and selling for years on almost every platform that allows you to do so and apart from one bad experience, which was later resolved, I've not had a bad turn. Mostly it's because I am overly vigilant and only conduct business when I have done as much due diligence as can be done or the transaction is face to face, payment first, or goods delivered first (in a few rare cases). If you keeps your wits about you and don't walk a path that can lead to this kind of action you will mostly be very safe. Sometimes our want to buy at a good price or want to sell at a good price leaves us open to being a target. Sometimes, it's just rotten luck! 

Edited by binky_bass

Yeah not bad places to sell if you’re a trustworthy basschatter - but be extra careful when buying from someone who might not be!

@LukeFRC yes drastically - we didnt have a huge problem before but we did have one or two that I can remember. And since FB marketplace/groups took off its actually been good for us because it motivates people to sell, and once you’ve decided to try a free platform I think people are more likely to go the paid route too. It means more gear floating around and that’s all good as far as I’m concerned. BC is more concerned about the quality of our marketplace than quantity of adverts. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The seller has apparently seen this thread and is now claiming that delivery of the goods was attempted, but they won’t give me the proof of that, so I don’t know. 
ive asked them to point out precisely what is untrue in what I’ve posted and I will happily retract/correct it. 
meanwhile, they’ve still got my money. 

UPDATE: I HAVE NOW RECEIVED MY REFUND.

Edited by prowla
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

@prowla, he’s a chancer.

He’s said he’d refund you tonight, but apparently delivery has been attempted...but logically only one of these could be the case, surely? If he actually had posted it then he wouldn’t be offering a refund as he’d no longer have the goods in his possession. It simply doesn’t add up. He’s just frantically adding lies on top of lies to try and get you off his back.

Edited by Billy Apple
  • Like 3

He said he posted it, but it didn't arrive, so I agreed that he could try posting it again; after several days with no confirmation of posting I asked for the refund, which he agreed to.

He said it had been returned to him and gave me a screendump of the delivery proof; on looking at the tracking number (PN518894078GB), the track & trace info only shows it being in the Midlands (I'm in Berkshire).

QcgTrVZ.png

He's now threatened me with legal action for slander and I've responded that if he points out anything I have written which is untrue, I will be happy to withdraw or correct it.

I've subsequently found that someone else was given that same tracking number.

Edited by prowla
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Does he not think you know your own address?? This actually makes me livid. Perhaps send him this screenshot indicating the approximate distance between your address and the allegedly “delivered” package:

4AD559C1-6FBA-4947-B114-790E7BA4CC5A.thumb.png.16db277d62310b25b53b63ecdc9fe978.png

I think it’s name and shame time on all the Facebook gear groups you’re a member of. Tag him in the post and cry foul play from the rooftops. 

• Like 1

Also, if delivery had actually been attempted to the intended address (I.e. yours) it would be logged on that tracking page as a failed delivery attempt, not simply returned to sender and marked by Royal Mail as “delivered” as though everything were fine and dandy.

Once again, stories not adding up...

• Like 1

I would tell him he’s got until 6pm tomorrow, then if he hasn’t refunded you in full, then you’re reporting him to the police. Bearing in mind he’s on probation or whatever for a past fraud offence, surely the last thing he wants is to be arrested again for the same crime.

Edited by Basinski
  • Like 1

What an absolute dipstick this guy is. I hope you get your money back and that he gets his comeuppance for being a liar and a fraud. The leopard has not changed its spots, which is rather stupid. Give him a deadline to refund you otherwise go to the police. He's taken the time to do a screenshot of the so called failed delivery, probably the same screenshot he's sending to loads of people whose money he has taken, so he has the time to go to online banking and refund you. If he isn't doing that he's either keeping your money or he's already spent it, both are good reasons to report to the police. 

If the guy has a gambling problem it’s likely the cash is gone and he’s desperately trying to find some way to replace it. This is how things escalate, I’ve seen it happen and it’s desperately sad. The likelihood is that more people will lose out to pay you back. I’m not saying you shouldn’t persevere, but a chat with someone more official might be wise as others are likely to be affected too.

• Like 3

Yeah I bought a couple of things from him too, about £230. Said he had sent them, his daughter had sent them. Nothing. Then he said he was in hospital with covid! Then he said he had sent them again, nothing. He has now refunded by Paypal echeque so waiting for it to clear. If it doesn't it'll be a police matter I reckon. Someone else put something on FB in the group he was selling in and it was removed almost immediately. He said he's seeing for slander and knows the mods well on there. Some people are just Richards

• Sad 1

On 18/12/2020 at 08:01, walshy said:

Yeah I bought a couple of things from him too, about £230. Said he had sent them, his daughter had sent them. Nothing. Then he said he was in hospital with covid! Then he said he had sent them again, nothing. He has now refunded by Paypal echeque so waiting for it to clear. If it doesn't it'll be a police matter I reckon. Someone else put something on FB in the group he was selling in and it was removed almost immediately. He said he's seeing for slander and knows the mods well on there. Some people are just Richards

Yep - he said his daughter sent them.

On 18/12/2020 at 08:12, Doctor J said:

Convicted fraudster clearing attempting to defraud multiple people. Why isn't this with the Police already?

On 18/12/2020 at 07:57, binky_bass said:

As others have said, set a deadline for a refund, say 48 hours, if that fails then its police time. With a crime reference number and the evidence you have you will likely be able to request a charge back from your bank. Failing that, draft a short 'letter before action' and take him to small claims court. Maybe find others that have been out in the same position by him and all raise the claim together. Round up any and all evidence you have and keep a solid record of conversations etc. This will help with any route you take. Don't let this guy get away with it, he needs to be taught that his actio s have consequences, for your sake and for others he'll very likely scam in the future. 

He didn't pay the refund last night, so I'm putting the timeline together and will be progressing it today.

Edited by prowla
  • Like 1

Please folks, no more comments about what may or may not happen to him if he ends up in jail. Especially given that he's seen this thread and is making legal threats. Polite advice only please.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I wouldn't worry too much about his idle legal threats.  Unless you've lied to the good people of Basschat, you've been nothing but factual so not sure where he thinks he can go with it.

I do recognise this daughter posting things story from another recent Facebook sale story, although I was actually on his side as I recall in an argument that broke out!  I think the buyer posted about him being a conman as he hadn't received the item, but it was less than a week after buying it, which seemed in isolation a bit OTT, and the seller had provided them with a tracking number that showed he had just posted it a few days later than he said.  Don't remember seeing the outcome, but I'm now wondering if it is the same guy posting stuff to himself?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, binky_bass said:

As others have said, set a deadline for a refund, say 48 hours, if that fails then its police time. With a crime reference number and the evidence you have you will likely be able to request a charge back from your bank. Failing that, draft a short 'letter before action' and take him to small claims court. Maybe find others that have been out in the same position by him and all raise the claim together. Round up any and all evidence you have and keep a solid record of conversations etc. This will help with any route you take. Don't let this guy get away with it, he needs to be taught that his actio s have consequences, for your sake and for others he'll very likely scam in the future. 

That’s right, I had to do similar a few years ago. I did get my money back and it didn’t take too long. Make sure to keep a log of all correspondence, and all your messages and emails, the bank will ask for them.

Edited by Basinski