Jump to content
Count Bassy

Slightly overrated bass palyers

Recommended Posts

Thing is, whilst I don’t disagree, isn’t that what most Internet forums consist of?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, owen said:

And yet, everyone who has been mentioned at the very least has, or in general is, earning a living playing bass. So by definition they are doing it right. Cos we would all love to. Maybe some of us have and have moved on. Maybe some of us still are. It is a lesson that there are so few "name" players on here because there is always someone who wants to have a pop. It is like my mate who is 6'5" and huge going out on the town. Every bloke who wants to prove themselves wants to fight him. Why do forums get such a kick from saying "yeah, not bad but...... you know......"?

Everyone who has been mentioned has had commercial success which means they do not have to have a day job. They must be proper gutted that they do not measure up to what the BC Massive see as doing it right. 

As artists, whether it be music, or painting, cinema, they are all open to criticism, rightly or wrongly. Goes with the territory of the job.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the OP was just having a bit of light-hearted fun with how perceptions differ.

which is a terrible thing to do and I hope they will one day see the error of their ways.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/10/2020 at 11:42, Drax said:

Paul McCartney will always be the most famous bassist that has ever lived, so guess he’s always going to be the most under/over rated player in the world. 

Although... my mum was a Beatles fan, and was somewhat nonplussed when I told her that Mr. McCartney was a bass player, rather than a guitarist.

He may well be the most loved bass player by folks who never knew there was such a thing as bass... ever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if all the subjective thread were closed, we wouldn't have much to chat about.

Except facts.

FACT! 😗

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Although... my mum was a Beatles fan, and was somewhat nonplussed when I told her that Mr. McCartney was a bass player, rather than a guitarist.

He may well be the most loved bass player by folks who never knew there was such a thing as bass... ever.

Haha. So.. your mum thinks Macca is seriously overrated as a bass player 🤔 

He’s strangely not far off the recurring ‘famous people who also play bass’ category on here 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Drax said:

He’s strangely not far off the recurring ‘famous people who also play bass’ category on here 

Not a bad point!

He's not only known more as a Beatle and a songwriter than a bass player, but there are are lots of people out there who don't know what a bass player even is! 😄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Not a bad point!

He's not only known more as a Beatle and a songwriter than a bass player, but there are are lots of people out there who don't know what a bass player even is! 😄

I think there are lots of people out there who don't know what a songwriter is either!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the non-musicians I speak to have no idea what a bass guitar is, or how it differs from a normal guitar. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to separate players who are not to my taste from those who hold a higher standing than their playing deserves, but...

The only ones who spring to mind are Steve Bailey and Cody Wright. Not sure how the former got to be chair of the bass dept at Berklee, while the latter seems to be the poor man's Bobby Vega.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, TKenrick said:

It's hard to separate players who are not to my taste from those who hold a higher standing than their playing deserves, but...

The only ones who spring to mind are Steve Bailey and Cody Wright. Not sure how the former got to be chair of the bass dept at Berklee, while the latter seems to be the poor man's Bobby Vega.

 

Cody - indeed, he'd never popped into my head but yeah, can get with your comments.

For me, there's something about his personality that doesn't come across too well on social media. That's true for a quite a few bass players... some are absolutely loathsome.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the bass player in a band does what is required of a bass player in that band, he is doing a great job.  So what if he plays root notes or basic patterns.  If it works for the band, it works.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rocker said:

If the bass player in a band does what is required of a bass player in that band, he is doing a great job.  So what if he plays root notes or basic patterns.  If it works for the band, it works.

Have to say this is pretty much what I think.  Seems to me to be a lot of snobbery/jealousy involved here.  Adam Clayton seems to get universally panned for playing root notes.  Cliff Williams get universally applauded for playing root notes.  I guess AC/DC has more street creds than U2 😂

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/10/2020 at 12:47, Lozz196 said:

Who knows if Dee Dee Ramone could play slap-bass in the way that Flea does? Certainly not needed in The Ramones but that doesn’t mean he couldn’t (tho I do have my suspicions it wasn’t his bag).

On the strength of his short lived rap career, I'd be inclined to agree! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Manwithvan said:

Jermaine Jackson?

Many people must think he recorded some famous Motown bass lines.

 

When really it was Carol Kaye...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wolverinebass said:

I'd say JTUK is really overrated. Despite my view he's still a legend in his own mind.

I wonder if the tickled trout are putting bands on

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we all have it wrong - the OP’s title wants Bass Palyers not Bass Players - can we start again.....

Edited by Cuzzie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rocker said:

If the bass player in a band does what is required of a bass player in that band, he is doing a great job.  So what if he plays root notes or basic patterns.  If it works for the band, it works.

While that is undoubtedly true, I'm not sure that means that the bass player in that band is overrated (or underrated for that matter)

4 hours ago, Paul S said:

Have to say this is pretty much what I think.  Seems to me to be a lot of snobbery/jealousy involved here.  Adam Clayton seems to get universally panned for playing root notes.  Cliff Williams get universally applauded for playing root notes.  I guess AC/DC has more street creds than U2 😂

I think that Cliff might be a slightly more accomplished bass player, but that is essentially correct. Both are playing simple lines, which are exactly what is required for those two stadium filing rock bands.  

Edited by peteb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paul S said:

Have to say this is pretty much what I think.  Seems to me to be a lot of snobbery/jealousy involved here.  Adam Clayton seems to get universally panned for playing root notes.  Cliff Williams get universally applauded for playing root notes.  I guess AC/DC has more street creds than U2 😂

Agree, something I’ve never really understood (not the street cred but, AC/DC much cooler).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 4000 said:

Most of the non-musicians I speak to have no idea what a bass guitar is, or how it differs from a normal guitar. 

Yes my partner for one. She cannot see A difference except that “that ones a bit bigger”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Paul S said:

Have to say this is pretty much what I think.  Seems to me to be a lot of snobbery/jealousy involved here.  Adam Clayton seems to get universally panned for playing root notes.  Cliff Williams get universally applauded for playing root notes.  I guess AC/DC has more street creds than U2 😂

He doesn’t always play root notes, listen to “please” and “bad” but sometimes that’s just what Is needed and we as bass players should not shy away from that as if we were guitards...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...