Why become a member? ×

Pubs banned from loud music

Al Krow

85 dB examples:

Car wash at 20 ft (89 dB); propeller plane flyover at 1000 ft (88 dB); diesel truck 40 mph at 50 ft (84 dB); diesel train at 45 mph at 100 ft (83 dB). Food blender (88 dB); milling machine (85 dB); garbage disposal (80 dB). 2 times as loud as 70 dB. Possible damage in 8 hour exposure.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

They might as well ban live performances though.

"Landlords and managers must take 'all reasonable measures' to stop singing on their premises by customers in groups of more than six, and dancing by anyone."

No dancing? No point.

I gigged last Sunday (20 Sep), and then both days on the weekend just gone (26 & 27 Sep). The landlords/landladies took "all reasonable measures" and were greeted with complete cooperation from the punters at all three gigs, no table was allowed to have more than six people, people danced by jiggling in their seats, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves - a lot - and video is available to back all that up . I would refer you to my esteem colleague @Silvia Bluejay for this.

Gigging is indeed dead for anyone who wants it that way. All anyone has to do is to decide not to bother trying to find gigs.

I prefer to be a bit more positive, and as a result I am now landing my first indoors gigs of the Autumn.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

The landlords/landladies took "all reasonable measures" and were greeted with complete cooperation from the punters at all three gigs, no table was allowed to have more than six people, people danced by jiggling in their seats, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves - a lot - and video is available to back all that up . I would refer you to my esteem colleague @Silvia Bluejay for this.

Even when drunk, punters who care about their local will do their best to avoid getting it into trouble.

I'm not sure why the Govt chooses to blame pubs for a spread that mostly appears to come from people's interaction in other places. :(

Punters having fun in a Covid-safe way:

• Like 2

I think (at least part of ) the theory behind the loud music thing is that if the music is loud, then people will shout to be heard... thus pumping out more CV.

In my world though music and talking at pubs are mutually exclusive. When the music is on I listen only to that. When I want to talk there shouldn't be any music.

• Like 1

In Scotland, there's been no music allowed whatsoever since the pubs reopened. They need to keep the sound off if they are showing football too. All live music is specifically banned too. To me, a pub is all about the social aspect. At home I've got better beer (I make my own!), a more comfortable seat and a better view of the TV. But I'd still rather have a few pints with my friends, even better if there is a live band.

To sit in a quiet pub with one friend and limited social interaction sounds rather dull. I'll stay at home for now!

George

6 minutes ago, geoham said:

In Scotland, there's been no music allowed whatsoever since the pubs reopened. They need to keep the sound off if they are showing football too. All live music is specifically banned too. To me, a pub is all about the social aspect. At home I've got better beer (I make my own!), a more comfortable seat and a better view of the TV. But I'd still rather have a few pints with my friends, even better if there is a live band.

To sit in a quiet pub with one friend and limited social interaction sounds rather dull. I'll stay at home for now!

George

Yup we can’t really see how we’ll be gigging for a long time to come (based mainly in around Edinburgh). We’ve resorted to getting us all in a rehearsal room and just trying out lots of new songs from a wide range of styles... all those ideas we had considered but never got round to so we’re gonna embrace it and hopefully the other side of this we’ll have honed another bunch of great cover tunes which has our stamp on them!

12 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Gigging is indeed dead for anyone who wants it that way. All anyone has to do is to decide not to bother trying to find gigs.

I prefer to be a bit more positive, and as a result I am now landing my first indoors gigs of the Autumn.

I suspect gigs might be a little thinner on the ground out here in the sticks. That notwithstanding, it's not for want of trying that we are unable to find suitable dates, although it doesn't help when one of your band members is at-risk themselves and another has a wife who is. We haven't just been sitting on our thumbs waiting for them to drift in -- our gig-getting members are experienced enough in this lark to know how to go about working with suitable venues. They just aren't there. 

Edited by Rich

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

... although it doesn't help when one of your band members is at-risk themselves and another has a wife who is. We haven't just been sitting on our thumbs waiting for them to drift in -- our gig-getting members are experienced enough in this lark to know how to go about working with suitable venues. They just aren't there. 

Understand what you mean about the health issues - my main band had had exactly that with the singer/guitarist having one set of serious issues and his wife having an even more serious set. They were both on full shielding for over six months, and that's the main reason we got so few beer garden gigs once they re-started in July.

I've been finding that most venues are as confused and puzzled as everybody else, and that there's a certain element of 'rabbit in the headlights' and people freezing. I've been talking to about 20 venues where I gig regularly and trying to gently steer them towards pushing the envelope a bit and seein g what music they can manage.

At the risk of re-starting a tired old debate, it helps a lot if bands recognise that the current economics of running a pub do NOT stretch to paying for a band!

• Like 1

It's the Daily Mail so without reading it I'm guessing it's a headline to antagonise middle class homeowners and make them fearful of something, possibly to do with foreigners or cancer and its Megan Markle's fault. Is there a picture of Princess Di somehow levered in to the article? 

• Like 4

We used to play regularly in a bar that had a noise limiter. We argued that if our expensive gear was suddenly shut down and then powered up again there would be catastrophic results. The bar agreed that we wouldn’t go through their limiter circuit but that we must comply with the light that came on. We used to use it as part of our lighting and smirk to each other as it flashed. 

On 28/09/2020 at 21:56, Happy Jack said:

85 dB examples:

Car wash at 20 ft (89 dB); propeller plane flyover at 1000 ft (88 dB); diesel truck 40 mph at 50 ft (84 dB); diesel train at 45 mph at 100 ft (83 dB). Food blender (88 dB); milling machine (85 dB); garbage disposal (80 dB). 2 times as loud as 70 dB. Possible damage in 8 hour exposure.

Years ago when we were more or less starting, we played at a dance. One of the organisers was walking round with ear defenders on all evening and even measured the noise levels. He proudly told us that we were louder than a Tornado jet taxiing. (He was right into his ATC stuff)  Thing is, we only had a 100 watt vocal amp and the vocals were clear in the mix so we all thought he was just being a right twatt.