Why become a member? ×

When Do You Think Your Band Will Start Gigging Again ?

Bluewine

14 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Our April & May gigs have been cancelled but we still have a couple in the book for early June, but I have serious doubts that they'll happen. Next after that is late July, and I'm hopeful that that'll happen.

Sounds good Dave.

Daryl

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Interesting discussion. This might be a cultural issue.

In my conservative neck of the woods I believe. more people are going to come out in droves and get crazy more than those who stay home.

We had a big protest here in Milwaukee yesterday They want to open the State up now. They don't like our Governor's May 26th open date 

Blue

Looking at that protest movement to open things up again, I can see where they're coming from - they've lost their jobs, their income and their healthcare (I'm aware health insurance is usually part of the employment deal in the States). 

In the UK the government have agreed to pay 80% of an employers wage bill, so many employees will be kept on, even if the business they're employed by has to close temporarily. Welfare has been increased to better meet the needs of newly unemployed workers, and of course health care is provided free of charge in the UK.

It's sad that people in the USA have no choice but to risk their own health and their loved ones health, due to lack of government support.

Saying that, there are those within our government who are in favour of lifting the lockdown, in the UK, to prevent (as they see it) our economy being damaged beyond repair.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ambient said:

I think you’ll be waiting a very, very long time for a vaccine. They were warning today that there might never be one.

Exactly. The corona group of viruses are those that cause the common cold and related maladies. How many decades and enormous sums have been devoted to finding a "cure for the common cold" without success? Are they going to magically be able to find one for this? Isn't going to happen. Talk of a vaccine is just being put about to keep the populace quiet and compliant. 

• Like 3

Our band is looking at August, although in my mind that is very optimistic. I feel it will be more like October if we’re lucky. Also the government’s rumoured approach to the lifting of restrictions in stages includes keeping those over 70 at home for longer, which could damage our sales figures a fair bit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gjones said:

Looking at that protest movement to open things up again, I can see where they're coming from - they've lost their jobs, their income and their healthcare (I'm aware health insurance is usually part of the employment deal in the States). 

In the UK the government have agreed to pay 80% of an employers wage bill, so many employees will be kept on, even if the business they're employed by has to close temporarily. Welfare has been increased to better meet the needs of newly unemployed workers, and of course health care is provided free of charge in the UK.

It's sad that people in the USA have no choice but to risk their own health and their loved ones health, due to lack of government support.

Saying that, there are those within our government who are in favour of lifting the lockdown, in the UK, to prevent (as they see it) our economy being damaged beyond repair.

Agreed

They have a pretty big boost on unemployment compensation right now. Some will be making less money when they return to work.

They also gave everyone making under 99k $1,200.00 and $3,400.00 for a family.

Blue

10 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Gawd knows. If I had my way, I'd be back out there tomorrow. I'm a senior, too (67), but I don't buy into the mass hysteria about this. If I was frail or had health issues (or had contact with anyone who was/is), I'd be more concerned, but that's not the case.

I wish you well, but that is dangerous talk and without being rude ill informed.

Yes some potentially people with co-existing health issues have the potential to do worse, but there are plenty out there in the young, fit, healthy range who are doing very badly with C-19 and dying.

You cannot predict. Even if you are alright, if you are blahzay about it, you risk passing it to others who may not be so lucky. Unless you know something I or anybody else doesn’t know, I am not sure you can predict who will and will not so well with this.

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 12

Our next show is now a festival at the beginning of August. I won’t be at all surprised if that gets cancelled.

Next one after that is the beginning of September, same again with that one.

In fact, I won’t be surprised if all of our shows for the rest of the year get cancelled.

When we do get back to gigging I expect attendances to be down for a while as I can see a lot of people still not being comfortable with large gatherings.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Interesting discussion. This might be a cultural issue.

In my conservative neck of the woods I believe. more people are going to come out in droves and get crazy more than those who stay home.

We had a big protest here in Milwaukee yesterday They want to open the State up now. They don't like our Governor's May 26th open date 

Blue

Very true. However I think small gigs have been in decline in the U.K. for years. People just don’t go out that much anymore. 

im hoping for a light bulb moment for love independent bands and venues when People realise how good a night out is in a dive bar in a small town. 

we can but hope. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Yeah, Lozz I think all of the major US Festivals have been cancelled.

I always boast about our Summerfest here in Milwaukee ( Worlds Largest Music Festival). It's been officially cancelled. First time since it started in 1969.

Blue

I was at that one year in early 2000. It was really good. The only criticism I would have was the benches they provided were great during the day when it was quiet but at night when the bigger bands were on, people stood on them so if you didn't have bench space you had no chance of seeing the band. I heard Wolfmother but couldn't even get a glimpse of them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bassfan said:

My gut feeling is that we won’t be out gigging here in the U.K. until Aug/Sep. Lockdown restrictions will start to ease but I fear pubs/ clubs and gatherings (weddings/ parties) will be the last things to have restrictions lifted. 

+1

I suspect that most music venues and pubs will take a bit longer to get back in business, and because it's never going to be 100% safe (the virus will still be out there in the population) I imagine a certain % of the population might be reluctant to get back into crowded places anytime soon.

As far as my bands are concerned, we're hoping we'll still get some gigs this year, but we're focusing more on building up new material for next year. We are busiest with festivals etc, and this Spring/Summer is a complete write-off.

2 hours ago, joeystrange said:

Our next show is now a festival at the beginning of August. I won’t be at all surprised if that gets cancelled.

Yeah, sadly I can’t see it going ahead, gutted for all that were meant to be playing, it’s the highlight of the punk year.

Until I can land a rotational position instead of being ad hoc, I can't see us ever gigging again. I can't even plan a rehearsal never mind gigs. This was even before the lockdown. I really miss it. She says I should sell some of my guitars but I hold on to the hope that we will get back sometime. 

4 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

I wish you well, but that is dangerous talk and without being rude ill informed.

Yes some potentially people with co-existing health issues have the potential to do worse, but there are plenty out there in the young, fit, healthy range who are doing very badly with C-19 and dying.

You cannot predict. Even if you are alright, if you are blahzay about it, you risk passing it to others who may not be so lucky. Unless you know something I or anybody else doesn’t know, I am not sure you can predict who will and will not so well with this.

"Dangerous talk"? Dear me. You'd have been right at home in the GDR or the USSR.

OK, let's see your numbers. "Plenty out there in the young, fit, healthy range who are doing very badly with C-19 and dying"? Give us figures, please, together with proof that Covid was what killed them (none of this dying "with" the bug that the media is so fond of stating).

Over to you.

I just think it's impossible to say at the moment.

We lost a European tour and our UK tour would have started this week. That one has been rescheduled for October but personally I am not 100% convinced even that is anything other than optimistic.

Whatever happens I don't feel the world will ever be quite the same after this.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Gawd knows. If I had my way, I'd be back out there tomorrow. I'm a senior, too (67), but I don't buy into the mass hysteria about this. If I was frail or had health issues (or had contact with anyone who was/is), I'd be more concerned, but that's not the case.

That's handy, 'cos we're not f*****g selling it on Basschat as AFAIK. This is not the common cold/flu or anything like it. I know a couple of fit and healthy people that have gone down with this and they very nearly didn't make it back.

Your flippant comment is insensitive to those that have lost acquaintances, at the very least.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

"Dangerous talk"? Dear me. You'd have been right at home in the GDR or the USSR.

OK, let's see your numbers. "Plenty out there in the young, fit, healthy range who are doing very badly with C-19 and dying"? Give us figures, please, together with proof that Covid was what killed them (none of this dying "with" the bug that the media is so fond of stating).

Over to you.

I get the feeling that no figure is going to change your mind or view, and I really don’t fancy banging my head against a brick wall on this one, but I will tell you this - i work in Frontline and intensive care medicine, I have a lot of colleagues all over the country in frontline and intensive care medicine.

I know medics that have caught it and struggled with it and am an acquaintance of one of the sons whose father - a medic - seeing patients with Covid died within about 2 hours of falling ill, who was about the same age as you Dan.

I know about the level of care our PM had to receive.

I have lost a healthy uncle with it, and have a cousin younger than you who is intubated.

Is this worse than seasonal flu or some ‘bug’ as you call it - make your own mind up, and eventually the data will come, but whilst you are doing that I think it would be far better to not poo-poo it’s importance, observe the measures we are doing, and if after this is all over you are right and it was nothing to worry about, then happily I will buy you a beverage of choice to celebrate, because we are all winners then

• Like 11

Several people I know have had or still got this virus.  One sadly died , another very nearly died but is getting slowly better and another still suffering.  Other people I know have had symptoms coming and going. 

This isn't mass hysteria,  this is very real and its about time everyone started taking it seriously,  instead of thinking it won't happen to them..because it just might. 

• Like 3

I'm not particularly hopeful that any of the gigs we had booked until September/October are going to go ahead. Most in April and May had already been postponed, but I should imagine we will have guidelines through the summer regarding social gatherings as others have said here. I reckon a lot of the pubs and social clubs we normally play at will be having a hard time once this has ''cleared up'' and I don't know if trying to organise gigs will help or hinder that... Could convince people to come out, or might just be an extra cost for them to have us play to an empty room. Either way, we'll take it as it comes, being cautious and law-abiding in the process.

My trumpet player has had it, and while he isn't a young chap, he certainly isn't what I would have considered to be at risk or vulnerable. From what he has told the rest of us, it is a truly nasty and vile thing to get through. He is still recovering.