Why become a member? ×

Songs with Odd Time Signatures

mcgraham

One of the oddest must be Schism by Tool

"the song starts in 5/4 for one measure followed by 21 measures of 6/4 (or 5/8 and 7/8 alternating), up to the first interlude, which is a bar of 3/8, three bars of 13/8, and a bar of 10/8. (This can be also interpreted as four 13/8 bars, but played with a 3/8 upbeat.) The next verse is eight bars of 6/4 followed by another interlude that fits the same pattern as the first. The next section is four bars of 6/4 followed by one bar of 11/8. Another eight-bar verse in 6/4 follows, with an interlude containing the same as before, except the final 10/8 bar is replaced with an 11/8 bar setting up the middle section, which is four bars of 7/4 before settling into a pattern of alternating 12/8 and 15/8, one bar each, twelve times. Following this, there are three bars of 4/4, a bar of 2/4, and four bars of 4/4 setting up another section, which is two bars of 9/8 followed by a bar of 10/8, that pattern again, a single bar of 9/8 followed by a 13/8 bar. This leads to an alternating set of 9/8 and 5/8, appearing four times before a bar of 9/8 and a bar of 6/8. Near the end, there is a 6/4 meter for eight bars, followed by eight bars of 4/4 to end the song. In all, the song changes meters 47 times. The band has jokingly said that the song is in "6.5/8"."

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schism_(song)"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schism_(song)[/url]

[quote name='harryharold' post='414466' date='Feb 19 2009, 04:30 PM']yeh i know, its not until you walk with it that you realise, unless its on a compilation and its called 7/4 shoreline, i hate that they do that, i missed the joy of discovering a weird time signature.[/quote]

I was referring to the Birthday Party tune.

Anyway, who cares. How do I get that bass sound?

I love listening to Meshuggah- most of their songs have a backbeat in 4 but with increasingly twisted rhythms in a variety of odd time signatures played against them.

[shameless self promotion]If you check out my band's myspace (link in sig) "The Scaven Cleaver" has a breakdown in the middle which is a cycle of 3 bars in 5 then a bar 7, with a backbeat in 4[/shameless self promotion]

I once looked at a piece by a composer named Brian Ferneyhough which was in 4/12. For those who are wondering, a 12th note is an 8th note triplet.

[quote name='bremen' post='414455' date='Feb 19 2009, 04:19 PM']It is? I tried counting it in 4 and it just wouldn't fit. Stick it on your ipod and go for a walk, the 'one' is alternately on left and right foot.

Maybe i have odd feet...[/quote]

Nick the Stripper is in 5/4, and a mighty fine tune.

Edited by Kirky

Any song that's used in an advert, as they cut out odd beats and half-beats here and there to shorten it. Current example: Suspicious Minds, can't remember what it was advertising. Really annoying example - You've got a friend off the AA adverts.

Tubular Bells - main theme. I think it's 4/4 with one 3/4 bar every other time through so it drops a note.

In 4/4 but doesn't seem like it - Music, by John Miles. The first instrumental section seems to be in odd timing but according to the sheet music, it's 4/4. And it's always fun to watch people try to dance to it after they've got up on the dancefloor when we're playing the first slow section.

Edited by tauzero

• 7 months later...

The cat on the mixer>the gas almost works by Fairport (7/4 > 5/4)

Smeceno Horo by Planxty (christ knows the sig, but rockin the uillean pipes...) [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LTeV7RUPnM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LTeV7RUPnM[/url]

I hung my head by Sting is pretty cool IMO.

The obvious one is Money - Pink Floyd (7/8)

Keep It Greasey - Frank Zappa (not got a clue how to count it)

Tom Sawyer - Rush (7/8)

Whipping Post - Frank Zappa (9/8)(I think!)

In fact...Most of Zappa's catalogue!

The Dance of Maya - Mahavishnu Orchestra (?)

Sold To The Highest Buddha - Gong (?)

Thrice have some good ones. They mess around with times a lot. Examples:

'Trust' is 5/4 (I think) verses with a 6/8 chorus.
Cold Cash And Colder Hearts has a 5/4 breakdown/outro
Silhouette is 6/8 (really awesome drum beat with the hi hat or cymbals doing every beat and the kick drum playing an off beat rhythm) and then has 4/4 and 7/8 parts.
I think the Melting Point of Wax and Abolition Of Man have changing time sigs too.
A Subtle Dagger has something in 5 too I think

I could go on, they have loads.

Does anyone else find that they sort of "naturally" compose stuff in unusual time signatures? I do this all the time, and it's in no way contrived - I think I've just spent so many years listening to prog & the more experimental end of metal that I don't know what's "normal" any more. :)

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='628571' date='Oct 17 2009, 10:52 AM']Does anyone else find that they sort of "naturally" compose stuff in unusual time signatures? I do this all the time, and it's in no way contrived - I think I've just spent so many years listening to prog & the more experimental end of metal that I don't know what's "normal" any more. :)

Jon.[/quote]

Yup, but i blame my original timings on my s*** cocept of rhythm.

Ocean colour scene's Riverboat song is a good one. the drummer's playing a pretty straight forward 6/8, but the tuplet* over the first 3 quavers gives the bass and rhythm guitar lines that stuttering rhythm that makes it feel like it's much more complicated.

* Anti pedant note - I know the second of the tuplet quavers is split into a dotted semiquaver and semiquaver, but it's still a pair of tuplet quavers over the first half of the bar.

was introduced to this last night. the 'nobody's laughing' lyrics get a little bit tiresome. but a fantastically natural 'odd' rhythm!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRGtY_gvvYE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRGtY_gvvYE[/url]

Edited by wotnwhy

I see that "Take 5" has already been mentioned, but I'll add "Unsquare Dance", also from Dave Brubeck. In 7/8 at a nice tempo. With spoons, too!
Otherwise, check out Tool (Generally) as they love to mix it up a bit, in spite of the fact that I think that they're better when they stick to 4/4 (Stinkfist, for example)

Is it me or do many odd signatures not flow as well as even ones? "Money" is a bit of an exception.
Two others that spring to mind; "Golden Brown" by the Stranglers and "(I want to be) An American)" from West Side Story (? Musicals not a strong suit!), which are very strange!

Did I really just cite Brubeck, Tool, The Stranglers and Bernstein/Sondheim in one post? [gets coat!]