Jump to content
Bassislife16

What is it with BC and hostility??!

Recommended Posts

Just now, timhiggins said:

ok ok everyone's really nice now can we please get on with the bun fights 😁

chocks away:whoopass:

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ped said:

I think you’ll find we’re well known for being a very open and friendly forum. Naturally things get heated now and then but usually during the holidays when people are stressed. At the end of the day, be the change you want to see. More often than not any ‘hostility’ is closed down by sensible members. Also, there’s a report button. 

I have to disagree, as a new member I’m already considering stopping using BC because of the unfriendly atmosphere that have been demonstrated to me by a few members, as a bloke with a memory like a siv and more problems to deal with everyday than a lot of people I just feel coming on here is developing more confrontations in my life rather than the virtual escape I intended it to be. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ped said:

Report button on mobile

2C6AD66C-2B2E-45D8-B26D-AFE938E16E39.jpeg

 

46 minutes ago, rollie 55 said:

yes it is a well mannered forum thats cool 

What I will say is the Mods and Admins are lovely and do their job very well to keep threads clean and idiot free. I’ll bear that report Icon in mind!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, timhiggins said:

ok ok everyone's really nice now can we please get on with the bun fights 😁

t2tjJDq.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is still the best place to find out about all things 'bass' IMO, whether that's double-bass, bass guitar, EUB, amps, cabs, FX etc, etc. 

Sure, some of the threads are a bit repetitious and some of the same topics produce the same arguments...which every now and again get a bit fractious..handbaggs at dawn and all that.. 😁

But by and large, those things are far outweighed by the positives that Basschat provides on tap, every day, week, month without fail! Gear advice, technical advice, music theory advice, support from a community of like-minded people (broadly speaking), for sale forums, off-topic debate & discussions.. The list of positives is almost endless. 

If there'd been somewhere I could get all this for free when I first started playing bass in the mid 70s, I'd have absolutely loved it. And I'm sure it would have made me a better bass player and musician. 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

For those on mobile browsers you can report here circled in green:

Don’t report @ped though!

5E6633B6-4C87-4125-83F6-D80794240A9D.jpeg

I was just about to report ped for being overbearing on making us use the "Report" button.  Looks like I'll have to report you & Dad too!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

This is still the best place to find out about all things 'bass' IMO, whether that's double-bass, bass guitar, EUB, amps, cabs, FX etc, etc. 

Sure, some of the threads are a bit repetitious and some of the same topics produce the same arguments...which every now and again get a bit fractious..handbaggs at dawn and all that.. 😁

But by and large, those things are far outweighed by the positives that Basschat provides on tap, every day, week, month without fail! Gear advice, technical advice, music theory advice, support from a community of like-minded people (broadly speaking), for sale forums, off-topic debate & discussions.. The list of positives is almost endless. 

If there'd been somewhere I could get all this for free when I first started playing bass in the mid 70s, I'd have absolutely loved it. And I'm sure it would have made me a better bass player and musician. 

Post of the week IMHO. 😎

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, xgsjx said:

I was just about to report ped for being overbearing on making us use the "Report" button.  Looks like I'll have to report you & Dad too!

i couldn't resist 😀

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bassislife16 said:

I have to disagree, as a new member I’m already considering stopping using BC because of the unfriendly atmosphere that have been demonstrated to me by a few members, as a bloke with a memory like a siv and more problems to deal with everyday than a lot of people I just feel coming on here is developing more confrontations in my life rather than the virtual escape I intended it to be. 

The forum is only as good as it’s members, so feel free to help us. Start by reporting the stuff you’ve just mentioned and we’ll get on it immediately. We always do. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on here every day, and have been for five(?) years - in that time I've complained about posts by TWO other members-

draw your own conclusions?

😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, timhiggins said:

i couldn't resist 😀

I gave myself a warning :)

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ped said:

The forum is only as good as it’s members, so feel free to help us. Start by reporting the stuff you’ve just mentioned and we’ll get on it immediately. We always do. 

Does that include you?  🧐   😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ped said:

The forum is only as good as it’s members, so feel free to help us. Start by reporting the stuff you’ve just mentioned and we’ll get on it immediately. We always do. 

Thank you Ped, I really appreciate you take the time to listen to this sort of stuff! I’ll make sure to keep an eye out :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think on the whole its pretty well behaved on here. I've noticed one or two repeat offenders being a bit spiky - it looks like theres a bit of history between them - and you get the odd person going off on a rant but thats reflective of life in general. 

Its pretty difficult to portray the tone of a conversation on the internet though and maybe some things get lost in translation and become heated. 

The positives massively outweigh the negatives to me though. And i would echo the thanks to the mods as well for keeping everyone in line :-)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've occasionally been sad to see spelling pedants jumping on dyslexics, but on the whole...

If you look at some of the deeply personal stuff on OT and the community of support there, BC is an oasis of civility compared to (what I hear of)  most other social media. 

3 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

A mainly male online community often equals testosterone fuelled keyboard rattling 🤣

I've been in one other such (and left it for that reason) but comfortable here.

Add my thanks and appreciation to the mods. Under-appreciated. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's t'internet, I'm afraid. People will type things they'd never dare to say face to face. Keyboard warriors and all that. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been here nearly 12 years and in that time I have blocked 4 members - 2 of which don't frequent the forum anymore. Considering that there are thousands of members, that's pretty good going. I've been on the receiving end of trolls and do-gooders and they can go and do one AFAIC.

I used to allow myself to get annoyed when someone said something designed to gain a reaction to start an argument or do-gooders who think that they are protecting the streets of bass land but now I figuratively walk away. The reasons being that I am sure the vast majority of us are decent people, things can be read differently to the poster's intended meaning and I'm sure that some of these people wouldn't say these things if face to face.

I like it here. Overall it's a good place to be and I won't let a small minority of argument starters spoil it

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m on here a lot,  not always posting but always reading, and learning about my passions ‘ The Bass’ , and music.  

IMO  The  majority of bc members are really nice  decent  honest  people  ,but there are a   few   who deliberately post  things just to annoy people and gain a reaction but they are quickly warned by the mods ,   this is the only social media I do because I feel I can trust bc 🙂.   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd agree that compared to other forums, including a popular US based bass guitar forum, Basschat is much warmer and more open .  I've only been a member for six months or so but I've found the other members I've interacted with to be extremely helpful, humorous and friendly.

I do get saddened by the threads that get started that don't put much consideration that this is a publicly open forum with both male and female members, I shall keep the report post button in mind for future.

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This place is great. As with any ‘community’ there will be people you agree with more than others or just get on better with for whatever reason. I have met loads of people off here and they have been brilliant without exception. There are a couple of people who seem intent on being offensive,  but the report button can be used as mentioned as above, or the far better tool - the ignore setting. Life is too short to waste it on negativity so just switch them off and the world is a nicer place.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This forum is a very warm and friendly place, with occasional spates of passion & strong opinion. People have different opinions & some are more ready to push them than others.

I'm very grateful for the friends & acquaintances I've made in the short time I've been on here, but I hate the idea that Basschatistas would be put off by the posts of others.

People can be stroppy, but its worth bearing in mind that things & problems happen in real life outside BC that can cause this - no excuse though.

The Admins & Mods do a fab job & I'm very grateful. :hi:

Play nice BC peeps, & if anyone wants a fight, I'll be in the car park after lasties ;)

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...