Why become a member? ×

What is it with BC and hostility??!

Bassislife16

13 hours ago, Billy Apple said:

For as long as I can remember there have been posters trying to get the rise out of others and people moaning about how BC is not what it was. When was the Golden Age of BC? BC has only been affected by the proliferation of other social media, not by a handful of 'long standing' members leaving.

My point is there used to be a larger group of mature minded posters, which gave a better oval feel to this place. it seemed a closer community back then.

I dunno, I would say that there was always a bit of feist even back then. I just think the balance of personalities have changed and people misunderstand discussion and argument as hostility. Most of the time it’s just misunderstood passion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

it's when some can't except someone else's without resorting to insults

I'd agree with @EBS_freakabout misunderstanding the intention of the post.

Using the quoted post above I could reply, "Its 'accept' you fookin' bellend". Meant comically, playing on the "without resorting to insults" part of the post, but with no smilies Paul might take offence, so I add a laughing emoji to show I'm joking with him, but now he thinks I'm laughing at him as well as correcting him. Could get totally out of hand due to misunderstanding how I meant the post. 

I'm a bit of a joker so take most posts of this sort as said in jest, but some more serious folks would take it straight and be offended. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Maude said:

Using the quoted post above I could reply, "Its 'accept' you fookin' bellend". Meant comically, playing on the "without resorting to insults" part of the post, but with no smilies Paul might take offence, so I add a laughing emoji to show I'm joking with him, but now he thinks I'm laughing at him as well as correcting him. Could get totally out of hand due to misunderstanding how I meant the post. 

I'm a bit of a joker so take most posts of this sort as said in jest, but some more serious folks would take it straight and be offended. 

I’m dyslectric you richard

See, now I don't know if you're proving the point of my post and messing with me, or genuinely dyslexic and pee'd off with me, or maybe even into trains of the diesel-electric type and are just plain crap at spelling. 😁

Anyway it was PaulWarning's post I quoted and corrected. 😉

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Maude said:

See, now I don't know if you're proving the point of my post and messing with me, or genuinely dyslexic and pee'd off with me, or maybe even into trains of the diesel-electric type and are just plain crap at spelling. 😁

Anyway it was PaulWarning's post I quoted and corrected. 😉

Hook, line and sinker.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Maude said:

I could find it very condescending when people pick up on grammatical errors when the intention is obvious, you may think it's in jest but it just looks (to some) like you're being a smart a*se :)

2 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I could find it very condescending when people pick up on grammatical errors when the intention is obvious, you may think it's in jest but it just looks (to some) like you're being a smart a*se :)

And here’s a fine example of making everything ok by just adding a smiley on the end.

10 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

And here’s a fine example of making everything ok by just adding a smiley on the end.

similarly - you're all a bunch of nasty pasties 😀

And what in the name of Jesus H Corbett is a nasty pasty? 🙂

Edited by Delberthot
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, josie said:

I've occasionally been sad to see spelling pedants jumping on dyslexics, but on the whole...

If you look at some of the deeply personal stuff on OT and the community of support there, BC is an oasis of civility compared to (what I hear of)  most other social media. 

Add my thanks and appreciation to the mods. Under-appreciated. 

Guilty plea re your first sentence, former teacher and still trying to get over  the "correct the error"syndrome...I'm working on it and liking all the good stuff on this site, technical and personal.In OT I even made a resolution for 2019, a first for me. Good vibes and wonderful support from almost everyone on here make it a good part of my day.😊

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

Which is why I didn't do it, until I used it to make my point, which wasn't actually about grammar but misunderstandings. Ahh b0ll0cks, what do I know about anything , I've just bought a banjo 😂

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Lest we lose perspective on how well folk generally do treat each other on here... 

"Family of father killed in front of son pay tribute to 'devoted, honourable man' as police arrest two over fatal train stabbing"

The world can be a crazy place sometimes: for the sake of a 3 minute argument a family is without a dad, a fellow music lover who would have turned 52 today,  and a 27 year 35 year old will be spending a decade behind bars.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Lest we lose perspective on how well folk generally do treat each other on here... 

"Family of father killed in front of son pay tribute to 'devoted, honourable man' as police arrest two over fatal train stabbing"

The world can be a crazy place sometimes: for the sake of a 3 minute argument a family is without a dad, a fellow music lover who would have turned 52 today,  and a 27 year old will be spending a decade behind bars.

Well said 

47 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

Agreed, unless it's done with grace and humour.  And a combination of autocorrect and small keyboards is often to blame for the error in the first place

1 hour ago, Maude said:

Ahh b0ll0cks, what do I know about anything , I've just bought a banjo 😂

This thread raises some interesting points, and I think that we could all learn from it.

However, what we should not do is have an extreme reaction & go crazy.

@Maude

BANJO!?¿

Are you ill?

Are you mad, man?

This is exactly the kind of dangerous behaviour I was talking about.

Good God man! You'll be buying a RickenTractor™ next!

;)

Edited by Teebs
  • Haha 2