Why become a member? ×

What is it with BC and hostility??!

Bassislife16

BassChat is a considerably less fractious environment than it was when I joined and it's been even more matey than ever during its most recent evolutionary cycle.

There's a natural churn to the forum (beyond which we also lost a clutch of regulars during that period which some have dubbed 'The Weird Times') but an influx of fun, witty and informed people have added much lustre to our common enterprise during the last couple of years. 

Yes, there are localised outbreaks of snark; contextually inappropriate political pronouncements continue to make themselves unwelcome. But there's a generally more relaxed feel to the place; mad rants tend to be greeted with a quizzically raised eyebrow or gentle mockery rather than feverish declarations of war; most importantly, people are no longer completely losing their sh*t over the issue of mixing driver sizes in a multi-cab rig (afaik).

• Like 6

I mostly avoid the off topic forum. That's because I know I don't cope well with opinions which differ from my own. This is a character defect of mine and not a fault of BC or other posters.

The handful of times I've been bewildered by people getting overheated about amplifier ratings or the shape of a headstock is hugely outweighed by the amount of helpful, informative posts I've read. I've also download free transcriptions, received invaluable technical advice, found a fantastic tutor, discovered lightweight cabs and instruments which have prolonged my career, met some truly remarkable, kind, selfless people, been introduced to stunning bands and bass players, received and given practical help to and from fellow Basschaters, and been relieved of a staggering amount of money I could ill afford to lose in the market place.

The good outweighs the bad. Sadly, for some, confrontation and dispute are entertaining and simple to ignite. These people seldom care about those they hurt.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

portantly, people are no longer completely losing their sh*t over the issue of mixing driver sizes in a multi-cab rig (afaik).

I don't care what anyone says about physics, electronics, or the nature of sound. A mix of 1x15 and 2x10 (or 4x10) sounds great to me. 

No! No! Let's not start that.

Walk away. WALK AWAY! 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Yes, there are localised outbreaks of snark; contextually inappropriate political pronouncements continue to make themselves unwelcome. But there's a generally more relaxed feel to the place; mad rants tend to be greeted with a quizzically raised eyebrow or gentle mockery rather than feverish declarations of war; most importantly, people are no longer completely losing their sh*t over the issue of mixing driver sizes in a multi-cab rig (afaik).

Yes, that bit puzzles me.  I can understand getting heated over the political stuff that can make a big difference to people's lives and wellbeing, and I've definitely done it myself.  But to do so over the minutiae of bass amplification, flats vs. rounds, whether 4 strings are enough (etc etc) seems plain daft!

Basschat is mostly reflective of people in general, most are fair minded, friendly and good company, with a few idiots thrown into the mix.

Two things I've found helpful, don't post when alcohol is involved and wait ten minutes before hitting the 'submit reply button' on contentious issue. Sadly I have not always followed my own rules 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beer of the Bass said:

Yes, that bit puzzles me.  I can understand getting heated over the political stuff that can make a big difference to people's lives and wellbeing, and I've definitely done it myself.  But to do so over the minutiae of bass amplification, flats vs. rounds, whether 4 strings are enough (etc etc) seems plain daft!

But that's the whole point, it's Basschat not Politicschat. I totally understand all the great debates - Flea v King, Jazz v Precision, 10's v 12's, BBOT v High Mass and Heft versus Class D - in that context. I simply do not understand why bassists feel the need to do politics on a bass forum?

And if you ever find yourself feeling a little depressed by posts here, simply find the latest contribution from Skank and the world suddenly seems a far more reasonable place :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Something which often gets forgotten when we talk about moderation on the forum is just how incredibly handsome @ped is.

I'm completely heterosexual but he's so lush I'd go down on him, no question :i-m_so_happy:

Nooooo ! You've put pictures in my inside place !!!

They will never fade.........

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, mikel said:

We all know what opinions are like, and it would be boring if everyone had the same. BC is 99% good crack and good advise.

no problem with different opinions, it's what most of the threads are about, it's when some can't except someone else's without resorting to insults

8 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Not the ideal comment for that post in this thread??

Move along now, snowflake.

4 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

no problem with different opinions, it's what most of the threads are about, it's when some can't except someone else's without resorting to insults

Glad to be of service. (Assuming snowflake is considered an insult in these parts?)

It’s also true that people will generally post things on a forum that they probably wouldn’t say in person to a (relative) stranger. The comparative security and anonymity of posting online (hence the keyboard warrior phrase!). 

Dont mistake forum opinions for fact. A forum is a vehicle for people to air their opinions, and has been said by others, not everyone reacts well to their viewpoint being challenged. FWIW the opinions on here are rather mild compared to some of the places I’m a member - and I have typed many a reply and deleted it before hitting Post ☺️

2 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

It’s also true that people will generally post things on a forum that they probably wouldn’t say in person to a (relative) stranger. The comparative security and anonymity of posting online (hence the keyboard warrior phrase!). 

Dont mistake forum opinions for fact. A forum is a vehicle for people to air their opinions, and has been said by others, not everyone reacts well to their viewpoint being challenged. FWIW the opinions on here are rather mild compared to some of the places I’m a member - and I have typed many a reply and deleted it before hitting Post ☺️

You see, the world is like this now - everybody has a soapbox via social media and online forums. Historically these people had no platform in which to spout their unquantified opinion. Somebody ask for gear advice? Step forward random person with no certifiable credentials to offer their unconsidered view. Call them upon it and their world starts to wobble. These are also the same people, that seem to buy in the madness of PC the world seem to be stumbling into.

for the record.... If somebody spouted bull to my face in the real world, I’ll call them on it, just as I would on here.

• Like 1

I don't really recognise the picture painted by the OP. Basschat is one of the warmest, friendliest places I've been a contributor to.

One thing that comes to mind is that it's easy to mistake the intentions that the author of a post had and to draw offense where none is due. Try to imagine they're written by nice people with smiles on their faces and winks in their eyes (but not in a Werthers Original way).

• Like 4

I’ll chip in and agree with @stewblack  I use the forum for what it is, an amazing source of reference from some pretty knowledgeable folk, that , most of the time, have no agenda and are not trying to sell you a bass, amp, cab etc. I have met and continue to stay in touch, even made friends with several people on here, all more accomplished bass players better than me, but on here we are all the same. I have been given some fantastic advice about gear and recommendations that have made me part with cash and not regretted it. 

I think if a thread gets heated and you take offence, walk away, swipe left or however you wish to navigate away, if it’s directed at you then report it if you feel that strongly. I also firmly believe that some people write things in a way that comes across as being hostile but isn’t meant to be, it’s just how they write. I may be wrong, usually am.

I think this is a fantastic forum , you aren’t going to like everyone, there will always be differences of opinion but there’s a lot of people you will like who’s opinion you will take note of. 

There are a few on here with some amazing one liners that look like it’s hostility, but actually they make me roll up laughing, oh the irony.... 

Anyway, that’s my 2 pence worth, the first in 2019. I hope the grammar police are ok with the ramble, now off to the ‘ Amps Vs Wattage’ thread with my wooden spoon. 😃

Edited by bassfan
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

As far as I can see that rarely happens, and if it does the culprit is usually called out or moderated.