Why become a member? ×

The lesser of the Minogue sisters appearing in the west country next year

Barking Spiders

I've always considered Danni 100 x more sexually appealing than her sister and never the got the fuss about K's 'ar$3. I prefer more of a booty on tha ladies. Anyway, I digress. So, KM is slotted into Glasto's sunday afternoon 'legend' spot next year. When i heard the news I had to check to calendar to make sure I hadn't done a Rip van Winkle and it wasn't 1 April. I know a lot of blokes will go on about her so called award winning jacksie but the simple fact is her' vocals are thin and nasal and most of the disposable fluff she's come out with was written by supposedly professional songwriters. So, does  anyone among us ageing geezers think she is a 'legend' and deserving of the slot?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mep said:

I won't be going to Glastonbury but will be seeing her at the Eden Project in July. 

I was going to say "westcountry"? Glastonbury's over two hours north from me. Eden is westcountry. 

(Tongue in cheek disclaimer for the argumentative types) 

I don't know why anyone gets upset over these Glastonbury bookings, it's a mainstream pop festival and Kylie is a mainstream pop star whose been churning out hits for three decades. I'd have thought that qualified her for 'Legend' status in the eyes of the average Glastonbury goer. 

I'd be fairly content to have had her longevity and success, as would many more on here I'd imagine. 

Never mind keep knocking her. 

• Like 4

For years I assumed that Kylie couldn't really sing, based on the fact that her vocal tracks always sound quite heavily processed.

Then a few years back I heard her do a stripped back 'unplugged' performance (might have been on Radio 1's live lounge) and it actually turns out she has a pretty decent natural voice and can carry a tune, well her tunes anyway.

No-one can deny she's famous and she's certainly had a successful career over a 30 year period despite very serious health problems at times. Leaving aside any physical attributes, I think she probably deserves her status.

Incidently, I saw Danni Minogue some years back in the stage show Notre dame. She could certainly hold a tune.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maude said:

I was going to say "westcountry"? Glastonbury's over two hours north from me. Eden is westcountry. 

(Tongue in cheek disclaimer for the argumentative types) 

I don't know why anyone gets upset over these Glastonbury bookings, it's a mainstream pop festival and Kylie is a mainstream pop star whose been churning out hits for three decades. I'd have thought that qualified her for 'Legend' status in the eyes of the average Glastonbury goer. 

I'd be fairly content to have had her longevity and success, as would many more on here I'd imagine. 

Never mind keep knocking her. 

Cant say I'm really 'upset' as I don't give a monkeys about Glastonbury. Never been there, don't want to ever go there. I was more questioning her status as 'legend' . As far as I can see she started out as one of SAW's pop poppets and has pretty much followed the same path ever since.

34 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Cant say I'm really 'upset' as I don't give a monkeys about Glastonbury. Never been there, don't want to ever go there. I was more questioning her status as 'legend' . As far as I can see she started out as one of SAW's pop poppets and has pretty much followed the same path ever since.

Fair enough. I don't really know what qualifies anyone as a legend. Yes she started as one of the multitude of SAW acts but the rest fizzled out pretty quickly. She's as, if not more, popular thirty years down the line, and not just relying on a back catalogue, as she was at the start of her career. Her music's not my cup of tea but that's not bad going in the fickle music industry. Wether that qualifies her as a legend? Well who's to say. She'll go down a storm in that slot at Glastonbury though and that's what matters I suppose. 

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Never been there, don't want to ever go there.

I went once. It was GRIM. Proof that no one should ever go to a festival where the weather is not 90% guaranteed good. It was beyond awful.

4 minutes ago, owen said:

I went once. It was GRIM. Proof that no one should ever go to a festival where the weather is not 90% guaranteed good. It was beyond awful.

Which pretty much rules out every festival held in the UK.

My experience of playing festivals, is that only one I've done in the last 5 years when it didn't rain was the one where we played indoors in a hall while the "audience" were outside enjoying the sun.

18 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Which pretty much rules out every festival held in the UK.

My experience of playing festivals, is that only one I've done in the last 5 years when it didn't rain was the one where we played indoors in a hall while the "audience" were outside enjoying the sun.

The Rebellion Festival for us punkers is wisely held indoors, given that we’re all too old to be out in the elements for too long.

• Haha 1

I guess to a certain generation their parents were teens when "I should be so lucky came out" and they were growing up through "can't get you out of my head" so legend... Not to the jazz/ rock/ funk crowd here but to many, many people probably. 

I saw Danni mime for twenty odd mins back in 2002. She was very, very unconvincing.  I'm sure she'd be decent company over a cup of coffee, or even in a lapdancing bar if you believe tabloid stories from when she was a judge on X Factor, but I wouldn't watch a "performance" of hers if it was happening in my garden.

Hm. While I'm not a big fan of either Minogue, I believe Kylie has worked hard throughout her career, and thoroughly deserves being called a pop legend. (Pop, that is, memorable, lightweight, singalong stuff.)

I wonder whether some of you would have the same dismissive attitude if Justin Timberlake - or some other comparable male artist - had been offered the slot. Including the mention of his derrière 'trousersnake' I think it was, in his case.

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
  • Like 3

Thou shalt not diss the One True Kylie...

I have a whole thesis on 'Kylie is more punk than the sex pistols' - short version. They were basically a manufactured boy band, the Bay City Rollers in Vivienne Westwood. Kylie does what she wants (which is pure joyful pop) and is definitely very much the boss of Kylie.inc.

And is awesome. I love her.

• Like 7

My wife says she's related Kylie Minogue. I've poured scorn on this assertion, but she's adamant...so I've started to use it as a 'tenuous claim to fame'.  :D 

Kylie has put in the hours to build her fanbase. There are enough people out there who like what she does, all the best to her. She's certainly a lot better than some newer artists, even early stuff has more appeal than the 'tinned' music being pushed out now by others.