Why become a member? ×

Tried a Rickenbacker...

LukeFRC

So a local guy offered me a 4003 in a trade for one of my Warwick’s - looked nice but what an odd thing to play, arrow straight neck, random bits of metalwork in the way, and a kinda non descript sound .... finger style it was meh, it wasn’t built to slap and there was a bit of a nicer grind when using my fingernails like a pick... I hated it.

So I figured... ild ask here... 

what are they good for? (video links help too ;) ) 

I’ve never played one, I’m not even sure I’ve seen one in real life up close. I think they sound incredible in the right context though. I’ve heard Nick Beggs playing one with Steven Wilson and it sounded brilliant, perfect for the music being played.

1 minute ago, Cat Burrito said:

They seem to be the current hate figure on Basschat. I think if you want one, get one, if you don't, they probably aren't for you. I love mine but it is part of a varied collection. I'm using it on a New Wave-esque project but it probably wouldn't suit some of my other ventures. 

Pretty much agree CB. Mine got a fair bit of use in my previous 80s band but not so much in the Glam Rock band I’m in now. Very distinctive sound and fun to play - not a problem finger style if you fit the bezel. Lots of sounds available if you play with the knobs - just like a Jazz (not in sounds obviously)

2 hours ago, martthebass said:

Popcorn ordered, feet up on the sofa.....eventful evening of Ricky bashing programmed.

But seriously two very marmite bass manufacturers at almost opposite ends of the bass spectrum.

Maybe - but we probably did that last week didn’t we? 

Honestly want to know what they are good for and what kinda sounds you get from them 

Listen to Chris SQUIRE, Lemmy, Paul McCARTNEY, Geddy LEE, Roger GLOVER, Cliff BURTON and some others. They make it sound right. I had one a long time ago, sold it after one week, hated it so much. A friend of mine had one and he had a great sound, funny, no ?

• Like 1

Rickenbackers are used by many in the classic rock, hard rock, stoner rock and doom fraternity, particularly bands inspired by classic rock. 

So have a listen to anything by Sleep, Kyuss, Graveyard, etc you get an idea of what they are used for, though in actual fact when you listen to them you are more likely listening to a 4001, but the 4003 will get you into that kind of territory. Of course you don't need them to play any type of music, but I have always thought that they have a very distinct sound. I like them and would buy one, but probably won't.

First Tool album (Undertow) is a Rickenbacker as well. 

48 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Listen to Chris SQUIRE, Lemmy, Paul McCARTNEY, Geddy LEE, Roger GLOVER, Cliff BURTON and some others. They make it sound right. I had one a long time ago, sold it after one week, hated it so much. A friend of mine had one and he had a great sound, funny, no ?

You’re absolutely spot on. I think it’s one of those instruments that in the right hands and playing the right music sounds perfect. I’d forgotten about Geddy Lee playing one. My favourite bass period of his was the Wal era.

Edited by ambient

They are definitely a "marmite" bass. The litigious actions of the current CEO has not done much to endear people to the brand either. However I won't be selling mine even though I don't play it often. 

I find my P fills out my trio better. There is a good range of tones on tap, and they sound great when you get them clanking. They can also do a range of fuller tones, but just not the P sound I'm enjoying at the moment 

10 minutes ago, thodrik said:

Rickenbackers are used by many in the classic rock, hard rock, stoner rock and doom fraternity, particularly bands inspired by classic rock. 

So have a listen to anything by Sleep, Kyuss, Graveyard, etc you get an idea of what they are used for, though in actual fact when you listen to them you are more likely listening to a 4001, but the 4003 will get you into that kind of territory. Of course you don't need them to play any type of music, but I have always thought that they have a very distinct sound. I like them and would buy one, but probably won't.

First Tool album (Undertow) is a Rickenbacker as well. 

When I saw Yob on the Clearing The Path.... tour, the bassist was using a Rick - best live bass tone I've heard, sat in the mix perfectly; also Pat Bruders was playing one last time I saw Down and it sounded great.

Conversely, since the bassist in Clutch started using one, I've found their live sound has deterioted - sounds like he's got the neck pickup soloed, giving it too much bottom end.

I've never played one that I thought was a serviceable instrument irrespective of the price tag which reflects the general feeling that they are inconsistent and there are far less good ones than there are meh or bad ones. The question should be "what is one of the well made Riks good for?" as the average one you pull off a shelf probably won't be up to much. Worth keeping that in mind when listening to known Rik players on albums, they will have probably found a few until they got one with "that" sound we all associate with the instrument. The ones I've played sounded and played like cheapo basses, although I've never gone to much trouble to try many out.

Maybe some people will never get on with them (the poorly placed metalwork and iffy necks put me right off) but I'd be up for playing more until I found a good one. Although they're ugly the new 4003 5 strings look a bit more practical.

I love the look and the neck shape/profile on them but realise Rickenbackers divide opinion more than almost any other bass..

In my first band as a young kid fresh out of school, I had a Ricky copy, and then eventually, saved up enough money to buy one - it was my first real bass and I loved it. And at the time, it fitted the post-punk music I was playing really well... it had a brilliantly aggressive, clangy and raucous tone to it that cut through tall buildings at 100 paces..

However, as soon as I changed band and the style of music I was playing, I needed a different bass, so I traded it for a P bass.

Still miss it though..

Interestingly, I find my 2004 Gibson Thunderbird has a very similar neck profile to my old Rickenbacker and I really enjoy playing it for that reason.

I also found that a lot of bass players that I looked up to when I first started playing were Rickenbacker users, such as McCartney, Chris Squire and Barry Adamson for example, and they made them sound great IMO.

I`ve only played two, but thought they were great. Played well, sounded superb - wasn`t in a band setting so can`t say how they sat in the mix, but going through a repertoire by The Jam on a Rickenbacker just felt and sounded right. I agree about the current CEO and his Ricktroopers, not doing much to endear the brand imo.

6 hours ago, SubsonicSimpleton said:

If you have an unsightly tattoo on the inner forearm of your picking arm, you can save all that money on expensive laser removal treatment and simply leave the body binding on your Rick do do its magic.

They are not the most ergonomic and comfortable basses. Playing a non-cs on your knee is like torture after half an hour or so. Still iconic though :)

11 hours ago, Graham said:

When I saw Yob on the Clearing The Path.... tour, the bassist was using a Rick - best live bass tone I've heard, sat in the mix perfectly; also Pat Bruders was playing one last time I saw Down and it sounded great.

Conversely, since the bassist in Clutch started using one, I've found their live sound has deterioted - sounds like he's got the neck pickup soloed, giving it too much bottom end.

Clutch were a disappointing the last time I saw them in 2015. I thought it was maybe the venue (the Academy in Glasgow) but the support band Planet of Zeus sounded bloody great.

When I first saw them in about 2004 the bassist was using a Gibson EB3 through an Ampeg rig and it sounded great. 

1 hour ago, Wolverinebass said:

Conversely, I happen to think his Wal sound was awful. Thin, weedy and insipid. I say that as both a Wal and Rick owner.

Wasn’t that what he wanted? I seem to remember him using very narrow gauge 030 - 090 Rotosound strings then, the same as Mark King. His worst sound for me was the later jazz bass. I was listening to a live album a few days ago, the bass sound got annoying after a while.

• Like 3