Why become a member? ×

Tried a Rickenbacker...

LukeFRC

On 05/02/2022 at 23:44, Clarky said:

Actually really enjoying it! Played it this evening and the neck, weight and body contouring all suit me better than the 4003 it replaced

Sorry to see that you're moving your 4003S on now. I totally understand why; there's loads of Ricky users that find them really comfortable to play but I'm certainly not one of them. If there was an FSO that sounded like a 4003 I'd sell mine in an instant, but there isn't so I'll just have to continue suffering for my art (just like my audiences).

• Like 1

Yep, playing the 4003S at home - when I wrote those words - was rather different to the one gig I played with it. It (the ergonomics) just didn't quite sit right with me and, having played Fender Ps and Js primarily for decades, I am conceding defeat! Edit: I still preferred the 4003S to the slab bodied 4003.

Shame but as the Flashing Blade said "Its better to have fought and lost than never fought at all"

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Yep, playing the 4003S at home - when I wrote those words - was rather different to the one gig I played with it. It (the ergonomics) just didn't quite sit right with me and, having played Fender Ps and Js primarily for decades, I am conceding defeat! Edit: I still preferred the 4003S to the slab bodied 4003.

Shame but as the Flashing Blade said "Its better to have fought and lost than never fought at all"

Although fitting the pickup bezel was a bit of a trial in itself I found it made the 4003 a bass that I could play verses one that I really couldn't. 

It doesn't matter what basses I have got or what basses I have had, I still feel unfulfilled because I have never had a Rickenbacker. The problem is, every time I play one it reaffirms my conviction that I could never adjust to playing one. As someone who cut his teeth playing Fenders, a Rickenbacker is a whole host of practical problems getting in the way of my usual technique. 

I never got to try a 4004, mores the pity, and now they don't make them anymore. I still periodically get the idea in my head that I should get a Rickenbacker 4003, despite all good sense to the contrary. Or at least until recently. What's worse is that, if I understand correctly, they are now no longer lacquering the fingerboard on 4000 Series basses! That will change the tone significantly I would think, and for the worse. That me out, I'm afraid.

It  now looks like me and Rickenbacker will never consummate our relationship. So near but so far. ☹️

37 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

Sorry to see that you're moving your 4003S on now. I totally understand why; there's loads of Ricky users that find them really comfortable to play but I'm certainly not one of them. If there was an FSO that sounded like a 4003 I'd sell mine in an instant, but there isn't so I'll just have to continue suffering for my art (just like my audiences).

You mean like this?

https://retrovibe.co.uk/product/retrovibe-t32-telenbacker-bass-32-medium-scale-hot-yellow-with-black-binding-and-hardware/

I really love the yellow (there are other colour options available) and am constantly tempted by one of these.

6 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

You mean like this?

https://retrovibe.co.uk/product/retrovibe-t32-telenbacker-bass-32-medium-scale-hot-yellow-with-black-binding-and-hardware/

I really love the yellow (there are other colour options available) and am constantly tempted by one of these.

That looks interesting but if it's a slab body with binding then it's worse than a 4003S. I can't see from the photos whether there is any forearm contouring?

Edited by Sparky Mark

1 minute ago, Sparky Mark said:

That looks interesting but if it's a slab body with binding then it's worse than a 4003S. I can't see from the photos whether there is any forearm contouring?

I can't say for sure, but it looks like a slab. 

It might even be worth giving them a shout and seeing if they can put some Ric style pups in a J or P body for you. There's a strat style body and that mentions available to custom order, so i'd say it's worth a shout if you were interested

https://retrovibe.co.uk/product/retrovibe-t30-strat-bass-30-6-short-scale-metallic-blue-gorgeous/

Or, if you were feeling creative then just buying some Ric pups from them and chucking them in a 2nd Squier. I've been toying with that idea for a while, but am a total hack when it comes to wood work!

It looks like you could chuck them in a P and hide any mishaps behind a scratch plate

image.thumb.png.1514be7258c9d9d005f3fd747375d82b.png

Edited by Jonesy

1 minute ago, Jonesy said:

Or, if you were feeling creative then just buying some Ric pups from them and chucking them in a 2nd Squier. I've been toying with that idea for a while, but am a total hack when it comes to wood work!

Many thanks for this information but I think the sound of 4003 comes from the combination of pickups, through neck construction and maybe even the bridge and headstock designs. I don't think a bolt on FSO will ever get close enough to satisfy my Ricky tone goal.

Yeah, I think you're right and all of those will help add to the tone in some way shape or form. Not to get into the tone woods argument, but the all maple body would have a part to play too.

However, I still want to have a go one day if I ever feel brave enough. I reckon the pups and positioning will play the biggest part and potentially get me in the same ball park. It'll def do for any gigs where I don't want to bring my Ric.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Misdee said:

It doesn't matter what basses I have got or what basses I have had, I still feel unfulfilled because I have never had a Rickenbacker. The problem is, every time I play one it reaffirms my conviction that I could never adjust to playing one. As someone who cut his teeth playing Fenders, a Rickenbacker is a whole host of practical problems getting in the way of my usual technique. 

I never got to try a 4004, mores the pity, and now they don't make them anymore. I still periodically get the idea in my head that I should get a Rickenbacker 4003, despite all good sense to the contrary. Or at least until recently. What's worse is that, if I understand correctly, they are now no longer lacquering the fingerboard on 4000 Series basses! That will change the tone significantly I would think, and for the worse. That me out, I'm afraid.

It  now looks like me and Rickenbacker will never consummate our relationship. So near but so far. ☹️

I never got on with my 4003, however having acquired a 4004 Cheyenne (as I prefer the unfinished 'board) I find it so much nicer.  There is a 4004 Laredo on Reverb at the moment for a reasonable price and they have the lacquered fingerboard.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

Many thanks for this information but I think the sound of 4003 comes from the combination of pickups, through neck construction and maybe even the bridge and headstock designs. I don't think a bolt on FSO will ever get close enough to satisfy my Ricky tone goal.

Have you not seen the ''air guitar, tonewood" YouTube? 

1 hour ago, ead said:

I never got on with my 4003, however having acquired a 4004 Cheyenne (as I prefer the unfinished 'board) I find it so much nicer.  There is a 4004 Laredo on Reverb at the moment for a reasonable price and they have the lacquered fingerboard.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

I hadn't realised that one version had a laquered board and the other didn't . 

On 31/03/2022 at 14:00, Sparky Mark said:

On reflection, I am withdrawing my 4003S from sale and will give it some more time to see if I can bond with the bass. I should fit the bridge pickup bezel and see how that works for me before making hasty decisions

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clarky said:

On reflection, I am withdrawing my 4003S from sale and will give it some more time to see if I can bond with the bass. I should fit the bridge pickup bezel and see how that works for me before making hasty decisions

Definitely worth a try, it’s a great sounding bass. The reason I moved mine on was that I couldn’t cope with the weight. Those bezels are brilliant and make the whole thing far more playable for fingerstyle. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Clarky said:

That's a very good idea. I can't even get on with Fenders with pickup covers fitted, so ditching the Ricky cover was absolutely essential to me giving it a fair trial.

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Clarky said:

Night n day mate!

• Like 2

I have tried one twice in my life. Once years ago when the strings were most likely dead. I was underwhelmed as I was expecting the Geddy clank. 
I had another go in Guitar Guitar a couple of years back and I loved it. Quite unusual to what I was used to (Fenders, Spector, Gibson, Sandberg) but I felt that I could easily get used to it and the strings were nice and fresh so I could get the full range of tone. What put me off was the ridiculous price tag, so I declined. 

On 31/03/2022 at 18:48, ead said:

Do you think the laquered board makes a big difference to the  overall tone on a Rick? 

I have always presumed it does, mostly on the basis that I find a very significant difference between laquered and unlaquered maple fingerboards on other basses. The recieved wisdom that maple is brighter is more a result of the laquer than the wood when I compare laquered and unlaquered  maple boards. I wouldn't want to buy a bass with a diminished "bite" , considering the sound that Rickenbacker are famous for.

TBH I can't say that I have noticed a great difference, but I haven't had the fortune to own more than one Ric at any one time so it's more from memory.  I listened to a few demos online of a Laredo vs a Cheyenne before taking the plunge (through good headphones) and the differences were pretty minimal to my ears.  In the context of ripping it up in a live band I very much doubt you'd hear much at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Ordered one from Andertons this week, don’t know when it’ll arrive? Apparently I’m 6th on the waiting list. Tried one in guitar guitar a couple of years ago and liked it, but only just got round to ordering one.