Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

I've always read that Sandbergs are 'brighter' than Fenders. Is this really the case? Do they simply need an EQ tweak to get in the same ballpark? I'm assuming it's the pickups.

I keep looking at California VTs with the reverse P/J config wondering if it would add something 'more' to a passive Fender US P bass and not sound 'less'. 

Edited by Tee

7 minutes ago, Tee said:

I've always read that Sandbergs are 'brighter' than Fenders. Is this really the case? Do they simply need an EQ tweak to get in the same ballpark? I'm assuming it's the pickups.

I keep looking at California VTs with the reverse P/J config wondering if it would add something 'more' to a passive Fender US P bass and not sound 'less'. 

Are you comparing active Sandbergs with passive Fenders?  If so, I'd generally expect that even flat, an active bass has the potential to sound 'different'.  

Otherwise basses constructed in exactly the same way from the same materials will sound similar.  Saying that I've found that body woods of Sandbergs are by and large lighter than Fenders (poss better seasoned) and iirc they are smaller than Fenders.  Sandbergs also have a zero fret and better quality bridges (IMHO), which potentially alters the tone.  

1 hour ago, warwickhunt said:

Are you comparing active Sandbergs with passive Fenders?  If so, I'd generally expect that even flat, an active bass has the potential to sound 'different'.  

Otherwise basses constructed in exactly the same way from the same materials will sound similar.  Saying that I've found that body woods of Sandbergs are by and large lighter than Fenders (poss better seasoned) and iirc they are smaller than Fenders.  Sandbergs also have a zero fret and better quality bridges (IMHO), which potentially alters the tone.  

I agree with all the above but do find the pickups are a bit brighter too (both the Sandberg and to a lesser extent the Delanos). I swapped out the pickup from my passive Sandberg P for something a little darker and prefer the sound, not that I had a massive dislike for the original. 

They definitely feel far better made and better appointed than Fenders. I recall the bodies are vibration treated (don't ask me what that is or if it's applied to every Sandberg) but the bodies certainly seem to "sing" more. 

• Like 2

I'd agree with that too.

I've got a passive Lionel (shortie precision) and the stock pickup was brighter and more mid scooped than a trad P bass pickup. It was a very good modern sound - just not the sound I wanted for that bass. So I put an Aguilar AG4P in it for 1960s goodness.

I'm the wrong person to ask about Jazz types though - I have a TT4 Superlight but as with every Jazz type I get everything gets ripped out and replaced with EMGs and an EMQ EQ. They are the sound in my head and nothing is right without them! There was nothing wrong with the Black Label stacked J's in it. They worked very well, but EMG Js are just my thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

What I mean is simply 'flat', whether in passive mode or active. From what i've heard in demos the active preamp doesn't appear to add a huge amount of colour which I appreciate. I'm just wondering if 'brighter' equals weedier or less good in a mix etc.

So, my newly acquired heavy aged VS has been returned 😞

The bass looked, played and felt great. The sound could be tamed and sounded good enough in the gig I did with it,  but compared to other basses, the pick-up and two band EQ combo sounded harsh and “brittle”. I did consider swapping out for something else, but at the end of the day, it’s an expensive instrument and I shouldn’t need to muck about with it. I p.ex’d for a Japanese Sadowsky PJ, it’s heavier and doesn’t play quite as nicely, but it’s a much sweeter tone.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

How are you guys rating the Forty Eight? 

Out of nowhere I've found myself fancying one. When I first saw them years ago I didn't like the look of the upper fret access (who needs to go past the 15th anyway?!) and the fact it was bolt-on, but that's just me being a bit weird.

Seems like having the neck set so far into the body helps with the neckdive that this sort of shape usually brings? Some positive reviews on youtube.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scrumpymike said:

Anybody in a band that covers All Right Now. That's been me since around 1970 folks 😎

I've played it a couple of times at jam sessions back in 80's but not recently. I've not even heard a covers band do that one in many years.

I always found the first verse bassline very tricky 😁

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Haha 4

Hi, I have a question for a Sandberg players.

I have an Enigma 5 that I'm in love with that. As I said on my first message on this topic, is one of my favourite basses because it has a very good sound, comfortable neck, lightweight....

But in the last months I'm thinking about the neck pick up, sometimes I feel that I could need a little bit more low-end sound, more vintage if I can say.  The current pickup is very good but a little bit more agressive and I'm looking for a more vintage sound, more deep and warm if is possible.

Has someone change a pick up on this model? It's complicate because of the shape, but I want to know if is possible and if someone has changed.

Thanks

Returning to  "The Central".   
After the excitement of a new offering and in the light of experience, what's the current feeling?   
I have a VM4, tried Stingray for the first time yesterday, and was mightily impressed with the "Punch" - quite different to what I'm used to.   How does the the Central compare generally and particularly in that characteristically  punchy Stingray sound? 
I like almost everything about the Sandberg VM4 and to have a second bass with similar "topography" but with a different "sound" would be great!   

31 minutes ago, Pirellithecat said:

Returning to  "The Central".   
After the excitement of a new offering and in the light of experience, what's the current feeling?   
I have a VM4, tried Stingray for the first time yesterday, and was mightily impressed with the "Punch" - quite different to what I'm used to.   How does the the Central compare generally and particularly in that characteristically  punchy Stingray sound? 
I like almost everything about the Sandberg VM4 and to have a second bass with similar "topography" but with a different "sound" would be great!   

I did read somewhere about a guy that has had many Stingray's over the years but since buying the Central he's a convert so that kinda said it all to me.

I tried a few MM basses years ago and couldn't take to the neck. I love my VM4 and Marlowe basses and the quality is 2nd to none for me.

I do quite fancy the natural Central that someone posted further back on this thread.

Look forward to reading the follow up to your question.

Dave