Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

13 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

looks great but 34" scale only......for now

ATM these are not being made to order but as and when Alan can.  But a nudge here and there...

So, I've had a chat with Gregor Fris, and he said he will pass on the concerns around communication to Holger. They are aware that they're having an issue dealing with emails, and are working on improving that. 

Although I know it may not suit everyone, he said the best way to contact currently is via FB or Insta - it is a separate team dealing with these enquiries, including himself I believe, and probably Marc Stranger-Najjar. If you message Sandberg socials, you will certainly get a quicker response.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRBboy said:

So, I've had a chat with Gregor Fris, and he said he will pass on the concerns around communication to Holger. They are aware that they're having an issue dealing with emails, and are working on improving that. 

Although I know it may not suit everyone, he said the best way to contact currently is via FB or Insta - it is a separate team dealing with these enquiries, including himself I believe, and probably Marc Stranger-Najjar. If you message Sandberg socials, you will certainly get a quicker response.

Thank you for getting involved and getting a response, though surely Gregor has better things to do. Why are they prioritising social media comms, with a separate team dealing with those enquiries ? if they know there's an issue they should address that as the priority surely - do the basics first.

Instagram and faceache, are the fluff on top of a serious business model, not a substitute for or the basis for one, imho of course. 

I've decided to spend my money with a UK business, it's a bit of a poor show that we consume so much and make so little really, the UK should really have a robust musical instrument manufacturing business landscape, there's enough people to support one, and enough imaginative people to create the products, and plenty of people who would rather make things other than fast food, I am sure.

• Like 2

@Aidan63 It’s absolutely everyone’s right to spend where they wish to spend, but as said before Sandberg are definitively not in the big company arrogance bracket - they are very much a family company with a small workforce, this I can say with great assuredness with personal comms, many stories from others and also having been out and visited the factory and spent time with the team.

Build time is of course an issue, but, it’s due to the items being quality and a small team.

Unless it’s changed the configurator is there to do that, configure a bass and then the code generated can be given to a relevant ‘dealer’ to get what you need.

I can’t help thinking that Britains relationship with Europe may be a factor in how things proceed, but also Sandberg sits in that position of not being a big manufacturer like a Fender, but not being boutique/luthier/artisan type zone. if you go back to 2015 and the Sandberg subtle shape change on their basses it was driven largely by Fender saying to retailers, if you continue to sell Sandbergs we won’t send you our basses to sell. They are also not as aggressive as Hans at Warwick.

Anyways - hope you get what you need, Sandberg will always be there and be quality.

• Like 10

15 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

Thank you for getting involved and getting a response, though surely Gregor has better things to do. Why are they prioritising social media comms, with a separate team dealing with those enquiries ? if they know there's an issue they should address that as the priority surely - do the basics first.

Instagram and faceache, are the fluff on top of a serious business model, not a substitute for or the basis for one, imho of course. 

I've decided to spend my money with a UK business, it's a bit of a poor show that we consume so much and make so little really, the UK should really have a robust musical instrument manufacturing business landscape, there's enough people to support one, and enough imaginative people to create the products, and plenty of people who would rather make things other than fast food, I am sure.

Having worked in technology for a while now email is becoming ever more problematic for businesses. Spam, spoofing, phishing and layers of protection used by ISPs and businesses themselves to counteract the menace, such as Mimecast and numerous MS 365 protections makes delivery of email problematic and a bit of a headache for businesses. The issue may well be down to whatever technology they employ to protect themselves having settings that need to be relaxed to prevent mail getting trapped. This is a fine balance as opening the net too widely can cause chaos if the wrong mail gets through the system.

Basically email is no longer a guaranteed way of getting in touch with a business. it’s also a method of communication that doesn’t engage with the younger generation, so I am not surprised that it’s not a priority and social media is preferred.

Sandberg appears to be a company that makes high quality instruments and have a high regard and good reputation for customer satisfaction so maybe worth persevering with unless you are on a tight schedule?

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 4

As someone who spent my working life in sales and marketing, I'm finding this debate over Sandberg's comms very interesting. The bottom line is that every business theoretically needs to communicate effectively with its existing and prospective customers. I say 'theoretically' because the one exception is when a business can't meet existing demand for its products. With a 2-year waiting list for customer orders, you'd have to say that's where Sandberg are at.

However, lifting the lid off that situation is pretty much like opening a can of worms. You could write a book about it - lots of people have. Let's just say that, in business terms, it's unsustainable and will probably bite Sandberg in the bum sooner or later. Certainly over-reliance on social media doesn't help you much when a significant segment of your market demographic doesn't use it, either properly or at all.

Cuzzie, well done for posting your experiences and sticking up for a company you obviously believe in.

I think we are all united in wanting what's best for Sandberg, but I'm not sure they're going the right way to get it.

• Like 4

On 15/03/2024 at 04:24, Aidan63 said:

I have made three more attempts to contact Sandberg by email, using their website, service@ and home@ email addresses and still no reply. Why bother having a contact form on the website and hiding your sales phone number ?

Any company that is only open to using social media for customer contact can do one afaic

I'd say it's typical big company arrogance, their way or no way.

What's the point of having a configurator if you won't discuss the details with the customer.

If they can't be bothered to deal with a potential individual customer in order to make a sale they are unlikely to be responsive once they have the customer's money. If they replied and said I need to go through Bass Direct or another dealer they are happy to use as intermediary I'd understand that but no reply at all ? wtf

I love the Lionel fretless but they won't be getting my money for a fretted one, they have lost a sale, I'd much rather give my money to a UK luthier who will actually appear to be interested in making me an instrument, or even give Fender too much money for a JMJ with a finish I hate but a pickup and neck I like 😲🙃

hi! Marc here from Sandberg!

first and foremost, I hope i’m not breaking any rules for the forum/this thread. if I am, someone kindly let me know (or give me a swift kick in the butt).

as for your frustrations, I can assure you that it’s not intentional avoidance. some of the insight provided in this thread is spot on, in that we (like many other companies) have had a number of issues with emails either getting to us OR getting to people. anything from spam filters to the email servers people us (eg Google) rejecting our emails entirely for a variety of reasons, most recently the SMTP authentication certificate. these are just a couple very real and often very frustrating things we’ve encountered and are working to fix that!

to address your specific concerns/inquiry, please don’t hesitate to contact me at [email protected] (yes, “.com” - I live in Chicago. you are also welcome to CC my personal email at [email protected] to make sure I see it).

thanks for bringing this to our attention!

-Marc

• Like 12
  • Thanks 8

@tegs07 spot on as usual

@scrumpymike decent insights for sure 

@sandbergmarc I don’t think rules are broken, you are offering to help someone.

Happy to say I am slightly biased, but it’s based on personal and friends experiences, one of which (for a friend) involved Hölger personally replying to something and going over and above what would be expected - that won’t happen in most companies.

i am saying this with no knowledge - but a big company probably has a tech division that can sort problems mentioned - Sandberg is ‘family’.

In true appreciation thread style - here is my old Shape MarloweDK complete with dog, toy and a bit of foot…

IMG_0906.thumb.jpeg.05b117e46d5ce00159cbdf9783d53c4e.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If you don't want this Marlowedk give it to me, I love that model 😁

About the communication problems, I had the same problem. I send an enquiry about my Enigma 5 but never answered me, a little bit dissapointing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, juanbcn83 said:

About the communication problems, I had the same problem. I send an enquiry about my Enigma 5 but never answered me, a little bit dissapointing.

There is a queue!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, sandbergmarc said:

first and foremost, I hope i’m not breaking any rules for the forum/this thread. if I am, someone kindly let me know (or give me a swift kick in the butt).

as for your frustrations, I can assure you that it’s not intentional avoidance. some of the insight provided in this thread is spot on, in that we (like many other companies) have had a number of issues with emails either getting to us OR getting to people. anything from spam filters to the email servers people us (eg Google) rejecting our emails entirely for a variety of reasons, most recently the SMTP authentication certificate. these are just a couple very real and often very frustrating things we’ve encountered and are working to fix that!

to address your specific concerns/inquiry, please don’t hesitate to contact me at [email protected] (yes, “.com” - I live in Chicago. you are also welcome to CC my personal email at [email protected] to make sure I see it).

-Marc

Hey Marc, full marks for jumping onto this in such a timely way. This is the kind of thing that restores/strengthens our faith in the Sandberg brand.

• Like 4

On 16/03/2024 at 12:52, sandbergmarc said:

-Marc

That's superb Marc.

Its great when a company has an input on our BC forum. 

It makes a big difference to buyers when they have someone they can talk to. I just hope you don't get bogged down in messages now :laugh1:

Many thanks

Dave 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

That's superb Marc.

Its great when a company has an input on our BC forum. 

It makes a big difference to buyers when they have someone they can talk to. I just hope you don't get bogged down in messages now :laugh1:

Many thanks

Dave 

bring ‘em on!

❤️

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 17/03/2024 at 05:39, juanbcn83 said:

hi! happy to get you sorted! just sent you a PM

• Like 2

Hello,

I's true that I had a bit of difficulties to join Sandberg when I had a problem with my TM5 SL. Then someone here suggested to try via FB and it works..

Once I got in contact with Dustin, everything went smoothly.

;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shiveringbass said:

Hello,

I's true that I had a bit of difficulties to join Sandberg when I had a problem with my TM5 SL. Then someone here suggested to try via FB and it works..

Once I got in contact with Dustin, everything went smoothly.

;)

glad Dustin was able to get you sorted! 

• 2 weeks later...

So my 2017 Sandberg Cali II VT4 HCA got some new pick ups yesterday! Went with the EMG GZR set. Their push fit set up is something else! 

Decided to go all passive, as I'm not a fan of on board preamps, and have enough tone shaping on my board.

Also binned off the bridge pickup, I don't like how close it is to the neck pick up, so it never gets used... so away it went!

cant wait to give this a proper blast!

20240328_073532.thumb.jpg.2623927aa698d83f32b3a364404df9ba.jpg

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

So my 2017 Sandberg Cali II VT4 HCA got some new pick ups yesterday! Went with the EMG GZR set. Their push fit set up is something else! 

Decided to go all passive, as I'm not a fan of on board preamps, and have enough tone shaping on my board.

Also binned off the bridge pickup, I don't like how close it is to the neck pick up, so it never gets used... so away it went!

cant wait to give this a proper blast!

20240328_073532.thumb.jpg.2623927aa698d83f32b3a364404df9ba.jpg

Nice but think i would have left the old bridge pick up in place but not connected rather than a hole.

Never realised the J pick up was so close to the P on them.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

Compared to a Fender P's pickup positioning, are the coils just reversed but in the same general position or is the treble coil in the Fender position and did they move the bass coil closer to the bridge?

I do like a reverse P + J, combined they give such a classic rock and metal tone! Back in the 80s and early 90s when many rock bassists were playing Spector, Kramer, Charvel and other PJ's (or a Fender Jazz Special for that matter, like Duff) the bass tones were so fat! I love that Spector tone on Operation:Mindcrime by Queensryche for example, if only the mix wasn't so bright and thin. 

• Like 1

I have the VM4, Fender PJ active and a Godin PJ but i'd have to say the Fender and Godin are far deeper sounding than the VM4. I prefer my VM4 to be honest as the active circuits means i have more variety and range of tones but it doesn't have that deep warm P tone the others do.

I'm not a fan of the VM4 in passive mode tho as it just seems so weak. 

Dave

43 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I have the VM4, Fender PJ active and a Godin PJ but i'd have to say the Fender and Godin are far deeper sounding than the VM4. I prefer my VM4 to be honest as the active circuits means i have more variety and range of tones but it doesn't have that deep warm P tone the others do.

I'm not a fan of the VM4 in passive mode tho as it just seems so weak. 

Dave

I like my VM4 passive, though the last but one gig I did I went active at half time to boost the bass after an audience request. My 71 P with flats is the deepest bass I own. 

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 1

On 15/03/2024 at 13:33, scrumpymike said:

Good for you mate - couldn't agree more and I wouldn't put up with it either!! Luckily for me, those nice (and responsive!) folks (or should that be Volks?) at Thomann had what I wanted in stock.

A couple of observations:

Following my initial skirmish with the user-unfriendly Sandberg website, I ended up contacting the lovely guy at Classic and Cool. At the end of our nice long chat, he confessed that it's hardly worth his while spending time on the Sandberg brand any more because prospective customers disappear when they find out there's an 18-month waiting time on orders (he was surprised when I told him that it's now 2 years!!). I'd say it won't be long before Sandberg's distribution network is reduced to one company, namely Thomann. There's obviously a special relationship there, presumably based on the fact that they're both in Germany and that Thomann have the funds to buy for stock. 

Comms with Maruszczyk are similarly dire!

The only reason they can get away with it is that their products are of consistently high quality and generally don't need after-sales support.

I got my Superlight Lionel via Classic & Cool.

I got it in 1 year last March. I suspect the model and what custom options a person wants has an impact. The aging process takes a quite a bit more work so they might even do them in batches. I knew in advance that the waiting list was going to be at least a year.

Bass Direct carry them too - as do GuitarGuitar but I don't know if GG accept the custom orders.

But yes - all orders and quotes for unusual stuff have to go via a dealer. The configurator cannot possibly have every option on it. I had a chat with Mark, exchanged a few emails about spec and paid a deposit. That locks the price in and the balance is paid when lands at Sandberg UK distribution.

I'm still playing mine every day. In hindsight a PJ set up might have been more versatile than just a P but I'm also nervous about getting it routed out for a J at the bridge.