Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

Don't forget that for a small upcharge Sandberg will put any pickups you want in it.

I'm not a fan of their pickups in general but I adore the rest of the instrument so I'm happy to do pickup changes.

My TT4 Superlight now has EMG J set and an EMG EQ. I really like Bobby Vega's EMG Jazz sound and since I first heard him I have always put EMGS in jazz types.

My Lionel came with the stock P pickup and I had heard the pickup was a bit modern sounding. That proved to be true. So I swapped that for an Aguilar AG4P that I had. I wanted a more traditional mid pushed P sound. The 'berg pickup has too much bass and was too hot for a traditional sound. I debated asking Sandberg to do the pickup change when I ordered it, but as I already owned the Aguilar there was no point in buying another one!

• Like 3

If I was going to get a TM4 now I would be deciding between an EMG J and MM or an Aguilar J and MM.

I love those pickups but I'd be hard pushed to choose. Probably the Aguilar though as their MM is a bit more trad sounding.

Either that or I'd have to buy a pair of TM4s!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fretmeister said:

If I was going to get a TM4 now I would be deciding between an EMG J and MM or an Aguilar J and MM.

I love those pickups but I'd be hard pushed to choose. Probably the Aguilar though as their MM is a bit more trad sounding.

Either that or I'd have to buy a pair of TM4s!

Difficult decisions! Both great pickups.

After having a PJ set made for my bass build last year, I'd be going straight to Allan at Catswhisker pickups, best sounding, best value set of pickups I've ever had. 

• Like 2

My trouble is I don't really understand the fundamentals of pickups and electronics. For a start, I didn't realise you can combine passive pickups with an active pre-amp.

I haven't tried many but the only active package I've found to my liking is what's on my Vox Starstream  A2S.  That comes with Aguilar AG 4J-70 pickups and the Aguilar OBP-2 pre-amp. The thing is that the Vox has the J-vibe perfectly covered and I wanted something different from the Sandy.

• Like 2

I get that. I sometimes think about having my Lionel routed out for a PJ and putting EMGs in it.

And then I play it passively and tell myself to not be stupid!

Although I do wish I had a pair of Lionels so I could have one with flats and one with rounds.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

My trouble is I don't really understand the fundamentals of pickups and electronics. For a start, I didn't realise you can combine passive pickups with an active pre-amp.

I haven't tried many but the only active package I've found to my liking is what's on my Vox Starstream  A2S.  That comes with Aguilar AG 4J-70 pickups and the Aguilar OBP-2 pre-amp. The thing is that the Vox has the J-vibe perfectly covered and I wanted something different from the Sandy.

Generally, 'active' basses have passive pickups and an active preamp. The main exception being EMGs, although various other active pickups exist but seem rarely seen in comparison.

In very generalised terms, Alnico pickups will give you a warmer, more traditional sound, and ceramics will give a more modern, aggressive sound. The inductance of the pickup i.e. how hot it is also plays a part. Hotter pickups clearly will provide a more powerful sound, but that can be at the cost of 'tone' and being natural sounding. 

If I was looking to order a TM or VM, I think I'd go with @fretmeister suggestion of looking at alternative pickups. However, if you don't have much knowledge or experience of different types/brands of pickups, you're entirely reliant on the testimony of others to decide what you think will be best.

• Like 2

Hello guys!!!!!

So I may be a little out of date on pick ups as I haven’t been on it as much as I normally am.

back in my day the TSBS used to have Seymour Duncan’s in.

But as a very brief brush stroke

as a rule I find the split coil Pick up to be their weakest offering.

Delano’s are more ‘hi-fi’ for want of a better word. It doesn’t make them sterile, they have character, but if you are someone who likes pre-amps, other baked in sounds - this is a really good option - it will let that sound go through and won’t colour too much

In house Sandberg ones - well at least the old ones in my MarloweDK are more vintage sounding and really are the bees knees. It has enough punch to not be weak if you solo’s the neck pup and can approach that P sound (evidently not there tho). These will also take effects etc brilliantly, but they are a nod to yesteryear and vintage.

black labels - they were prolly designed for when the superlight bases came in as they need more oomph. Delano is a right hook/power slap to the face - Black labels are a big old gut punch - not over powering, but very punchy and if you like slap bass these will do you right.

i haven’t read all the posts, but as an aside if you want to know what my ear hears dUg Pinnick, Glenn Hughes,Billy Gould, Mike Inez, muzz skillings, Pat Badger - all have bass sounds I like

if you can hear a sound bite the Perfect P bass pick up for me is the Creamery 58P - that’s where I sit, but I do love modern stuff too!!

hope that helps!

gotta get back to work!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Hello guys!!!!!

So I may be a little out of date on pick ups as I haven’t been on it as much as I normally am.

back in my day the TSBS used to have Seymour Duncan’s in.

But as a very brief brush stroke

as a rule I find the split coil Pick up to be their weakest offering.

Delano’s are more ‘hi-fi’ for want of a better word. It doesn’t make them sterile, they have character, but if you are someone who likes pre-amps, other baked in sounds - this is a really good option - it will let that sound go through and won’t colour too much

In house Sandberg ones - well at least the old ones in my MarloweDK are more vintage sounding and really are the bees knees. It has enough punch to not be weak if you solo’s the neck pup and can approach that P sound (evidently not there tho). These will also take effects etc brilliantly, but they are a nod to yesteryear and vintage.

black labels - they were prolly designed for when the superlight bases came in as they need more oomph. Delano is a right hook/power slap to the face - Black labels are a big old gut punch - not over powering, but very punchy and if you like slap bass these will do you right.

i haven’t read all the posts, but as an aside if you want to know what my ear hears dUg Pinnick, Glenn Hughes,Billy Gould, Mike Inez, muzz skillings, Pat Badger - all have bass sounds I like

if you can hear a sound bite the Perfect P bass pick up for me is the Creamery 58P - that’s where I sit, but I do love modern stuff too!!

hope that helps!

gotta get back to work!!

I think our aural tastes are similar: those pickups in the Marlowe DK are the Alnico V ones, the same as in the TT Passive 😉👌

I too think they're absolutely fantastic

Edited by TRBboy
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

I think our aural tastes are similar: those pickups in the Marlowe DK are the Alnico V ones, the same as in the TT Passive 😉👌

Nice to hear we are both legends!!

popped it in to try to give context as we all hear things differently.

to add to what I said on black labels I would imagine Tim Commerford loving them, but also you pop them in someone playing funk, they would also give you that Shazam.

Nowt against Delano’s, brilliant pick ups, but you just gotta use em right.

Some Sandy’s also had Haussel pick ups - now they are great, very meaty even the jazz ones - they are practically a P pick up

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRBboy said:

Yep 100% my MarloweDK has that older style J tone. 

Dave

• Like 2

So, first a reminder. A few days back I shared on here my intention to buy a short-scale Cali ll SL TM but decided against it because of helpful feedback on here suggesting that the active tones would not be 'old school' enough for my tastes. I've been exchanging e-mails with Thomann since and now share the dialogue with you guys, starting with their response to my initial doubts arising from the posts on here!!

A: "Please ignore the Chats ...

90% of all Sandberg basses are with active preamp and Sandberg / Delano Pickups.
Sandberg is one of the most successful bass brands at the moment.
It can´t be so bad.

Especially for the SL basses with Paulownia body, you need the active preamp.
It helps you to get a great, powerful sound.

I can't recommend a passive SL version. And we don't have them in our assortment.

But I think, if you are looking for the lightest, best sounding and most easy playing bass - I can´t offer you something else.
It has a nice full modern sound."

Q: "I will follow the advice from my Basschat friends on the Sandberg Appreciation Society forum because a) they understand the sounds I like and b) they also know the sounds of the various Sandberg pickups. This is why online special-interest forums are so helpful.

So, I am looking for a TT with old-school Alnico V pickups and paulownia body BUT I am not prepared to pay premium price for special order. Does my original choice the Cali ll SL TM have Alnico V pickups?"

A: "The Standard Sandberg pickups T4 are ALNICO V, made by Delano
On these pickups the neck pickup is reverse wound and polarized.
This causes the bridge and neck pickup to operate in humbucking mode when they are both turned up.

The T4 Black Label are Ceramic, more clear in sound and more output.
And also the M4 has Ceramic, more clear in sound and more output."

Q: "Just to be clear, does this mean that Cali ll SL TM is fitted with: 1 x T4 Alnico V + 1 x M4 Ceramic?"

A: "Yes, plus the active preamp with passive mode."

I've ruled out the SL TM so looks like my options are to go for either 1) an active SL TT and hope I can live with the tones, or 2) a passive ash-bodied TT and hope it's not at the top end of the weight range.

P.S. Why on earth Sandberg can't weigh all their basses before they pack them beats me - Maruszczyk do!!

Mmmm not sure what to make of all that Mike.

I do love my Sandberg basses both have different tones. ie modern or vintage.

Not wanting to detract from your Sandberg quest but are there other manufacturers that might offer something closer to what you want or need.

I've only tried the ones i own VM4 and Marlowe so my advice is quite limited there. 

I'm wondering what or where you'll end up with this one Mike.

All the best with it whatever route you take.

Dave

Good evening to you all, I’m hoping someone maybe able to shed some light on an issue with my Cali v1 VM4. 

I hadn’t played this bass for a few months but wanted to take it to rehearsal so thought I’d check the battery etc. When I plugged it in there seemed to be an issue with the electronics, it was very noisy, seemingly an earthing issue as when I touched the pick up “pan pot” it stopped. It was only the pan pot, nothing else. So I turned it full up and down several times and left it a while and came back to it and it seemed ok. Played it at home that night and all seemed well. The following night plugged in again the problem was back but this time the output dropped to barely being able to hear it in both active and passive mode. 

Thinking it was a dirty pot, I removed the guard, checked all connections as best I could and used a magnifying glass to carefully check for any obvious problems or signs of dry joints. Nothing stood out as being untoward so sprayed a little Deoxit on all pots and connectors. Left it overnight to evaporate in the hope it would solve the issue but when I tried it there was still no output. I’ve checked the battery, tried different leads and double checked by using battery and leads into my TT4 which worked fine.

Have any of you folk had anything similar with your Sandberg bass (or other) that you’ve fixed?

Sorry for the long post but I’m baffled. Thanks in advance for any help,

Don.

• Sad 1

Yes I sprayed all the pots, turned them several times, sprayed the jack socket and then the lead jack (older planet waves type as it’s a snug fit to ensure good contact) and checked all connections and couldn’t find a thing. I recall someone on here sold a Glock loom for spares because they had some kind of problem that they couldn’t sort out, I just don’t remember what they said.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DJ '65 said:

Good evening to you all, I’m hoping someone maybe able to shed some light on an issue with my Cali v1 VM4. 

I hadn’t played this bass for a few months but wanted to take it to rehearsal so thought I’d check the battery etc. When I plugged it in there seemed to be an issue with the electronics, it was very noisy, seemingly an earthing issue as when I touched the pick up “pan pot” it stopped. It was only the pan pot, nothing else. So I turned it full up and down several times and left it a while and came back to it and it seemed ok. Played it at home that night and all seemed well. The following night plugged in again the problem was back but this time the output dropped to barely being able to hear it in both active and passive mode. 

Thinking it was a dirty pot, I removed the guard, checked all connections as best I could and used a magnifying glass to carefully check for any obvious problems or signs of dry joints. Nothing stood out as being untoward so sprayed a little Deoxit on all pots and connectors. Left it overnight to evaporate in the hope it would solve the issue but when I tried it there was still no output. I’ve checked the battery, tried different leads and double checked by using battery and leads into my TT4 which worked fine.

Have any of you folk had anything similar with your Sandberg bass (or other) that you’ve fixed?

Sorry for the long post but I’m baffled. Thanks in advance for any help,

Don.

I would contact [email protected] and pose the question to them. I had a similar problem with one of my previous Sandbergs, and it turned out to be a fault with the blend/pan pot. Apparently there was a known issue with some they had. They posted me out a replacement free of charge. Good luck! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

So, first a reminder. A few days back I shared on here my intention to buy a short-scale Cali ll SL TM but decided against it because of helpful feedback on here suggesting that the active tones would not be 'old school' enough for my tastes. I've been exchanging e-mails with Thomann since and now share the dialogue with you guys, starting with their response to my initial doubts arising from the posts on here!!

A: "Please ignore the Chats ...

90% of all Sandberg basses are with active preamp and Sandberg / Delano Pickups.
Sandberg is one of the most successful bass brands at the moment.
It can´t be so bad.

Especially for the SL basses with Paulownia body, you need the active preamp.
It helps you to get a great, powerful sound.

I can't recommend a passive SL version. And we don't have them in our assortment.

But I think, if you are looking for the lightest, best sounding and most easy playing bass - I can´t offer you something else.
It has a nice full modern sound."

Q: "I will follow the advice from my Basschat friends on the Sandberg Appreciation Society forum because a) they understand the sounds I like and b) they also know the sounds of the various Sandberg pickups. This is why online special-interest forums are so helpful.

So, I am looking for a TT with old-school Alnico V pickups and paulownia body BUT I am not prepared to pay premium price for special order. Does my original choice the Cali ll SL TM have Alnico V pickups?"

A: "The Standard Sandberg pickups T4 are ALNICO V, made by Delano
On these pickups the neck pickup is reverse wound and polarized.
This causes the bridge and neck pickup to operate in humbucking mode when they are both turned up.

The T4 Black Label are Ceramic, more clear in sound and more output.
And also the M4 has Ceramic, more clear in sound and more output."

Q: "Just to be clear, does this mean that Cali ll SL TM is fitted with: 1 x T4 Alnico V + 1 x M4 Ceramic?"

A: "Yes, plus the active preamp with passive mode."

I've ruled out the SL TM so looks like my options are to go for either 1) an active SL TT and hope I can live with the tones, or 2) a passive ash-bodied TT and hope it's not at the top end of the weight range.

P.S. Why on earth Sandberg can't weigh all their basses before they pack them beats me - Maruszczyk do!!

Mike, as I see it (and if I'm understanding correctly), you have two options to get what you want, if you don't want to place an order via a dealer, and buy a stock bass.

1) Buy a TT Passive to get the Alnico V pickups, and later retrofit an active preamp (Sandberg/Glockenklang or other) IF you feel you need it (I don't think you would)

2) Buy a regular TT and be prepared to replace the pickups IF you don't like them.

Regarding weight, they vary as any basses do, but generally the painted alder bodied versions are slightly lighter than the stained ash bodied versions. The other advantage of ordering what you actually want is that you can request a 'light' piece of wood. I've done this before and it worked out well. If you wanted a stained finish, you could upgrade to swamp ash and request a light piece. My Classic Booster was very light, and my current TT5 Passive is pretty light.

I think it would be well worth you getting some quotes to order what you like, just to understand what that looks like. It might not be as bad as you think.

• Like 1

Hi Mike, 
Is popping down to Classic and Cool Guitars in Teignmouth an option?   Mark seems to have 3 TT's (and a VT) there at the moment and it might help eliminate the active option (or not) and let you try out the weight?  He's really helpful and has some well priced examples.   I bought my customised VM4 from him and  tried a TT Superlight there more recently  (and it was very impressive - luckily he sold it before I could buy another expensive bass I really don;t warrant!!)!!).  Good luck, 

• Like 1

My Superlight Lionel is passive and it sounds like a proper vintage precision.

I think Thomann have over done it a bit in their chat.

Do the Superlights sound different - Yes. They tend to have a snappier faster responding sound with a little less low end.... with all other things / setting remaining constant.

Do the Superlights actually need active circuits to "overcome" the perceived lack of low end? - No. The bass and / or low mid controls on any bass amp can add or subtract far more low end than any choice of wood could ever do. My SL TT4 (Original Cedar wood) does have EMGS and the EQ in it. I use the Treble control a lot, and I use the bass control to reduce the lows in boomy rooms. I don't boost it on the bass. I do boost the lows on my amp - but only a little more than any other J type bass. On my Lionel (paulownia) I cut the lows at 65hz.

Do I suspect that the Thomann people have plugged an alder body bass into an amp and then set up the amp and then plugged in a SL and left the settings the same? - Yes. And that's dumb. Every instrument needs something different. Strings make a vast difference too.

Do all active pickups sound modern? - No. The original EMG J set is designed to sound like 1960s J pickups but without the hum. This is why they are the choice J pickups for Bobby Vega and Guy Pratt. This is one of the reasons I really like them. With steel rounds I can do Marcus Miller with it. With La Bella Flats and a bit of foam - it's Aston Barrett. It's all about the strings and the EQ on the amp.

Does the "lack" of low end have any disadvantages? - Very subjective I think, so my view is very personal. To me, it's a bit like having an HPF built into the bass. I have 2 shorties and on the odd occasion when they are strung with the same strings I find I have to do less work on the Lionel to tame any boom. So overall I find it useful.

I recognise the difficulty though - it's a lot of money to bang down to risk not liking something. I got my SL TT4 from Bass Direct and I swapped the pickups within about 3 months. It's stayed the same ever since other than having a ramp made for it. On the back of that I was happy to order a SL Lionel.

Mike - if you are ever up near Northants you are welcome to pop in and try them out. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TRBboy said:

I would contact [email protected] and pose the question to them. I had a similar problem with one of my previous Sandbergs, and it turned out to be a fault with the blend/pan pot. Apparently there was a known issue with some they had. They posted me out a replacement free of charge. Good luck! 

Sorry for delay folks only just got in, many thanks for the info I’ll contact them now. I’ll let you know how it “pans” out. Sorry, I’ll leave now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, DJ '65 said:

Sorry for delay folks only just got in, many thanks for the info I’ll contact them now. I’ll let you know how it “pans” out. Sorry, I’ll leave now!

keep us posted on outcome.

Dave

• Like 1

I got a quick response from Dustin at Sandberg so I think for the sake of a few pounds I’ll order a new blend pot and swap it out anyway because I’m convinced that’s the problem. Thanks for your replies, I will update this when I get the pot.

If it helps anyone else out there here is his reply.

Hi Don,

I'm sorry you're having problems with our blend pot.

It is possible that the blend potentiometer is causing the problem if deposits there are causing a short circuit inside. It is best to remove them with compressed air.  The Deoxit solution may worsen the effect.

To identify such an error, you should check whether there is a short circuit in the blance pot. You do that as follows:

try to disconnect the balance pot from ground by removing it from the control plate.

Don't let the pot cover touch anything and try the bass again.

When it's working, there is a ground short circuit inside the pot

if this method does not help, we will have to look for the error further. the jacksocket could also be causing a problem

then the pot should be replaced.

These are the article numbers

Art Nr: EL00043

Art Nr: EL00042

you can order the spare parts here:

Webshop (Germany/EU)

https://sandbergshop.gambiocloud.com/

Dealer 

https://www.sandberg-guitars.de/dealer-germany/

https://www.sandberg-guitars.de/dealer-europe/

https://www.sandberg-guitars.de/dealer-america/

https://www.sandberg-guitars.de/dealer-asia-australia-africa/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi, i bought an old model california  from a friend. 

He says its a masterpiece, but i dont know, It could be a regular heavy aged model. (He bought It used from a friend of hes).

Is there anyway to know? 

I tried to write to sandberg but i got no answer.

The bass is awesome and he sold It pretty cheap, so either way its a win.

Im just curious

• Like 1