Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

I used LaBella on my 5 strings bass and I love the result.

The sound change completely and the bass are not so versatile in terms of different sounds but you get a "vintage" tone that I love.

I'm interested on playing a Thomastik flats but at the moment I'm happy with DR Black beauties.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Has anyone put flats on their Sandberg?

If so, which flats did you use.

I tried a set of Status flats on my Lionel VS4 fretless, they were awful, lifeless, toneless and quiet, I've put the LaBella tapewounds it came to me with back on, I do have a set of Chromes to try. I liked D'Addario half rounds much more than the Status flats. Passive bass with Sandberg pickup.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I put Low Tension Flays (i think they were LaBella) and quite liked the tone but guitarist wasn't so keen so i went back to my usual D'addario nickels.

It obviously doesn't have that top end zing but it made the Glam songs sound very studio like and it reduced any string noise to almost zero.

I'm now using Elixir nickels.

Dave

• Like 2

When I just got my Lionel there were Pyramid flatwounds on it. It sounded very unbalanced on the bass. I liked the A, D and G but the E-string was overly boomy and considerably louder than the other 3 strings. I blame that on a poorly calibrated string set, not on the bass. I have the stock Sandberg roundwound strings on it for now and it's much more balanced, but I don't like the feel and the low tension. I may try a set of LaBella's on it, I hadn't expected to like them but when I played the Gibson LP Jr DC Tribute and Sire U5 of the previous owner I quite liked that thumpy tone and the feel of the strings - and on a P they just make sense to me!  

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I put Low Tension Flays (i think they were LaBella) and quite liked the tone but guitarist wasn't so keen so i went back to my usual D'addario nickels.

It obviously doesn't have that top end zing but it made the Glam songs sound very studio like and it reduced any string noise to almost zero.

I'm now using Elixir nickels.

Dave

If a guitar player wants to tell which strings I have to use it's probably and wouldn't be very polite. Why do the bass players have to adapt our sound (bass, amp, strings...) for the "good sound" of the band but the guitarists don't? If we are a group we have to work for sounding better but together not adapting to a "reharsal music legend". I'm tired of that comments from other guitarists.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, juanbcn83 said:

If a guitar player wants to tell which strings I have to use it's probably and wouldn't be very polite. Why do the bass players have to adapt our sound (bass, amp, strings...) for the "good sound" of the band but the guitarists don't? If we are a group we have to work for sounding better but together not adapting to a "reharsal music legend". I'm tired of that comments from other guitarists.

To be honest i did ask what the band thought of the tone with the flats but the guitarist was the one who spoke his mind. I'd rather have an honest opinion in a band than to remain silent.

The guitarist is no longer in the band. (his choice i have to add)

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

NBD 

Decided to pull the trigger on this, arrived today. New to Sandberg, wanted a new Fender Jazz to replace a Mexican deluxe a regrettably sold 3 years ago, but heard good things about Sandbergs and having shopped around saw this in sale (Bit of a bargain)

had a quick run-though, one issue/possibly, it seemed a bit quiet, noticed the pick ups specially the neck was very low only about 2mm above the body and bridge maybe 4-5mm figured this was not right? So lifted them both 2-3mm higher and it sounded allot better., enough that I had to role volume back bit when boosting pre amp to about 75% 

strings look like Daddarios but label says Sandbergs own brand, can anyone confirm, they seem a bit on the higher tension side might have to change them, see if they bed in.

add some real photos later, its much more yellowy:butterscotch than the stockings photo (not in a bad way)

https://www.bassdirect.co.uk/product/sandberg-electra-ii-tt4-creme/

IMG_3518.jpeg

IMG_3521.jpeg

IMG_3520.jpeg

IMG_3522.jpeg

IMG_3523.jpeg

IMG_3524.jpeg

Edited by Rollin Thunder
  • Like 10

31 minutes ago, Rollin Thunder said:

NBD 

Decided to pull the trigger on this, arrived today. New to Sandberg, wanted a new Fender Jazz to replace a Mexican deluxe a regrettably sold 3 years ago, but heard good things about Sandbergs and having shopped around saw this in sale (Bit of a bargain)

had a quick run-though, one issue/possibly, it seemed a bit quiet, noticed the pick ups specially the neck was very low only about 2mm above the body and bridge maybe 4-5mm figured this was not right? So lifted them both 2-3mm higher and it sounded allot better., enough that I had to role volume back bit when boosting pre amp to about 75% 

strings look like Daddarios but label says Sandbergs own brand, can anyone confirm, they seem a bit on the higher tension side might have to change them, see if they bed in.

add some real photos later, its much more yellowy:butterscotch than the stockings photo (not in a bad way)

https://www.bassdirect.co.uk/product/sandberg-electra-ii-tt4-creme/

IMG_3518.jpeg

Congrats, it seems a very good bass. Despite the adjustments I think that it's better that a mexican jazz bass.

Real picks will be welcome, thanks for posting

On 11/04/2024 at 18:53, chris_b said:

LaBella 760FS-S on my Cali ll SL TM 4 SHORT. Band plays drop-tuned by a semi btw.

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 1

On 17/04/2024 at 09:51, Rollin Thunder said:

Cut cheese with the G string, stock strings rarely stay on any new bass, like tyres on a brand new 🚴 bike!

Well the strings seem to have settled in, warmed up a bit now, not as thin and zingey give them a reprieve until my new set of Newtone strings arrive.