Why become a member? ×

Am I weird because I've never played guitar?

thepurpleblob

5 hours ago, thepurpleblob said:

As above. I've never picked up a guitar. Never played one. Never been interested. Went from a percussionist (the classical variety) to a bass player and never regretted it. 

The only significant downside is that guitarist show me chord shapes and the answer is, "you're wasting your time there mate". 

I was wondering how many other people here are bassists without the seemingly obligatory intermediate step of playing guitar? And how do you feel about it?

You sir, are my hero....

I relented recently and bought a guitar (or two) just to learn some jazz chords to help with expanding my phrasing...

I started on guitar in 1969 and gigged on guitar until about 1985.

The bass player in the band I was in couldn't make a gig.  The singer asked me to play bass for one gig.  It was the best thing I ever did.  After that gig I never ever played guitar on stage again.  That was in 1985.

I've played bass ever since.

But it's been a great advantage being able to read a guitarist's chords - especially for unrehearsed deps gigs and for jams.

Frank.

I play guitar too and echo previous comments about helping to follow the guitarists or learn new songs. For example, we occasionally play American Pie as an encore. I've never learnt the actual bass line and haven't listened to the original Don McLean track for years but because I learnt to play the chords on an acoustic guitar ages ago it helps me improvise what to play on bass. Only another bass player would realise I'm winging it!

My first instrument was drums (as a kid & I was terrible) but I started seriously learning guitar around 2004. It helped me massively and I have played lead in a couple of bands. I'm currently exclusively bass across all my bands at present but the guitar definitely gets you thinking with a different side of your brain. Even if it isn't your favourite instrument it is definitely worth having some knowledge around. 

I always wanted to be a drummer but back in the day they were expensive, to noisy for a semi on a housing estate, and without transport a none starter. So I learned to play guitar and sing. I was in bands from the age of 14 singing and playing guitar, but I was always a drummer at heart. I play bass now, in one band, and drums in another. I have always had a guitar and have a strum sometimes but my heart is in drumming, and bass.

• Like 1

I play both, starting on bass in my early teens as my mate learned guitar at the same time. Played mostly bass until my mid 20's when I had a dormant period until my early 40's. i then bought an electric guitar and learnt to play that through the guitar mags and lessons from a local teacher (who is one of the best guitarists I have ever come across). Bought a bass just for 'old times sake' and started noodling and I began to remember what I got from holding down the low end. Joined a blues band, sold off a few guitars to finance more basses. I play acoustic now as I do the odd open mic night but hardly ever pick up my electric guitar although always enjoy it when I do.

I think a better understanding of chords and modes had helped my bass playing, but I reckon I could have got there without it

I wear odd-coloured socks, with rules about which colour goes on which foot. I also forage for wild mushrooms. I can identify pretty much every petrol engine configuration by sound. I got my forum name because I didn't eat my crusts! 

There's a few for starters...

Edited by BreadBin
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I wear odd-coloured socks, with rules about which colour goes on which foot. I also forage for wild mushrooms. I can identify pretty much every petrol engine configuration by sound. I got my forum name because I didn't eat my crusts! ...

Yeah, just like everyone, but why 'weird'..? o.O

xD :P

• Haha 1

Played bass since 1982 but never played guitar or had the urge to.

In my early teens I briefly tried saxophone then settled on clarinet; learned to read music and played in the school junior orchestra, but gave it up after a couple of years.

It was much later, aged 19 that I took up bass and never looked back.  But I've long since forgotten how to read music and never felt the need to re-learn. I don't use tab either so only play by ear, but find that I can memorise melodies and improvise pretty well.  But above all;  I still derive an incredible amount of enjoyment from playing bass on my own terms.

On 14 April 2018 at 18:37, mikel said:

I always wanted to be a drummer but back in the day they were expensive, to noisy for a semi on a housing estate, and without transport a none starter. So I learned to play guitar and sing. I was in bands from the age of 14 singing and playing guitar, but I was always a drummer at heart. I play bass now, in one band, and drums in another. I have always had a guitar and have a strum sometimes but my heart is in drumming, and bass.

Similar for me too, wanted to be drummer but considered too noisy by the folks. Mate had a guitar so I went for bass, saved my cash & my folks surprisingly stumped up t'other 50% too buy a jazz copy & a little amp. Still obvs a bass player but have drummed in bands too. Also picked up a bit of guitar, chordage only really & a bit of fumble fingered keyboardage too. I always equate my bass playing in a percussive sense rather than melodic?

I know a few of the classic chords , and to be honest it is easier to 'play a song' on a guitar , though I can do the same on a piano , a bass is far more discretionary when it comes to accompaniment.

though to make a bollocks of my argument, to 'play a song' might indicate a confidence in an ability to sing it :$

I love playing fingerstyle acoustic guitar, especially with a slide,  but cant get to grips with electric/lead style playing  at all. There are no electric players that particularly inspire me  unlike bassists and acoustic merchants. Heresy to say it here but most of all I like playing drums and percussion best but these are more antisocial for my neighbours

I've got the obligatory pawn-shop acoustic guitar and I know about 4 chords. I've got no real interest in learning to play it properly -- the world is full of guitarists who are better than I could ever be. I do however wish that I'd learned to play piano when I was young.

4 minutes ago, discreet said:

Never too late!

Problem being the lack of time, piano and funds xD When I was a nipper, my folks had a really quite nice upright Joanna in the front room. They'd had it for donkey's years. I completely ignored it and eventually they gave it away to the local British Legion hall. Oh how I wish that I'd sat down and actually learned the bloody thing. >:( 

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

Problem being the lack of time, piano and funds xD When I was a nipper, my folks had a really quite nice upright Joanna in the front room. They'd had it for donkey's years. I completely ignored it and eventually they gave it away to the local British Legion hall. Oh how I wish that I'd sat down and actually learned the bloody thing. >:( 

Time being the real problem. I make sure young master discreet puts plenty of time in on the piano. He's not that keen, but he's up to Grade Four now. I'm sure he'll thank me for it... one day... :D

I had a cheapo acoustic 6 string for about 5 minutes in a vain attempt to learn some chords and stuff but it never developed. I think it was lack of time on top of other interests and still would be so I've never had another go. If I need to programme chords into the Macmillan 12 step I just cheat and look them up. When I was at school I was in a band as the singer and wasn't required to play anything.  I came to the conclusion that though I could carry a tune I probably wasn't quite good enough to hack it as a lead vox. Ended up teaching myself bass from scratch one summer whilst still at college when I had enough time to do it.