Why become a member? ×

Where do you store your bass gear?

ianrendall

I have two music rooms.

One at the front of the house and one at the back with a scullery between it and the living room/kitchen area.  My housemate practices uke in the front room and I practice bass in back.  Two combo amps, four basses and a clutch of ukes are stored in the front room.  I keep my bass of the day on a stand near the telly in the living room for finger exercising without amp.  I have a further combo and ext cab stored in the back room.

We're detached and I have no spouse.  One day, when I've properly sorted out the last of my late Mum's vast collection of stuff, I hope to have the room to invite friends back for music sessions before I refill the place with my own clutter.

I know when I'm well off.

(I realise this is likely to sound sacrilegious, but...) I have very little bass gear these days so more or less anywhere there's a bit of space. 1 headless bass, 1 small amp, 1 small cab and a couple of pedals don't really take up much room. o.O

As it happens it's all in the spare bedroom, but could just as easily be in the lounge or the dining room without really getting in anybody's way. Probably not the kitchen though...

Edited by leftybassman392
Added content

Baby No2 is due here next month, so I no longer have the option of a spare room. 

But, it forced me to clear the cupboard under the stairs, which is actually a decent size. Also, means that I don't have to lug gear up and down the stairs anymore! 

1 hour ago, M@23 said:

Baby No2 is due here next month, so I no longer have the option of a spare room. 

But, it forced me to clear the cupboard under the stairs, which is actually a decent size. Also, means that I don't have to lug gear up and down the stairs anymore! 

I'd suggest that it might be best to store the bass gear under the stairs instead. Babies do rather poorly there, in general, except a certain Harry Potter (but he was fictional, I think. Wasn't he..? Yes..? I thought so...). :|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Haha 1

Amp (covered), multi-fx and lead bag in the garage. A couple of basses under the bed, empty cases in the wardrobe, a guitar or two in the front room. Everything else in the study - 3 of my basses, my eub, my son's bass, one of a mate's that I'm supposed to be fixing... plus the piano, keyboards, electric drum kit, flute, cornet, ukes, and the bits & bobs of the current guitar build. My trombone lives in the loft

I built a cupboard in the hall for amp/cables bag, gig bass cabs, merch boxes and bass case.

The double basses live in the alcove next to the fireplace along with 1 electric bass and a mandolin, with a shelf above for acessories.

The remaining electric basses and cabs live in the rehearsal room at the guitarist's house.

5 hours ago, Dom in Somerset said:

Single, living alone , all gear in the living room, on the walls , on the floor, on racks, on the sofa. Maybe that's why I'm single?

This.  Except my lad lives with me again, so I had to get the kit out of his room so he could fill it up with his own crap stuff.

Some people seem to have shops, not storage... :) Under the stairs seems to be a very popular option, and I have the great good luck to 'own' the cupboard under the stairs, to which I've fitted a 5-lever mortice lock. I have to leave enough space to sit down in there and shut the door, for when I need to cry in private. :|

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Double bass on it's stand in the living room. Acoustic bass on it's stand in the sitting room along with my Ampeg B200r combo (and the Hi-Fi and our vinyl collection). Gigging cab (BF Compact) and amp plus basses (3) and cases and all other paraphernalia in my study upstairs. or in the hall after a gig and it's midnight! PA in the garage (which is accessible from the house). Fortunately my wife likes music and supports the band. I'm very lucky and I know it.

Edited by phil.c60

Bass 1, in the corner of the living room, mostly hidden by sofa. It's a nice retro looking jazz and does not look too bad poking it's head up. 

Bass 2, on longterm loan at my mates, where it annoys his wife not mine:)

Electric gtr: hangs on wall in living room. Beautiful 335 in candy apple red, missus can't argue with hanging art on the wall! 

Acoustic gtr: not so pretty but also on the living room wall. Road worn = shabby chic in this case. 

Amp (head) : under the stairs.  

Cab: garage. 

Strings, cables n crap: my studio... by which I mean a drawer in the dining room which also contains a usb lead and an audio interface :facepalm:

Edited by funkydoug

8 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I have a room. The wife is very supportive and when we viewed this house the room sold as a small dining area was the one she said “this is for your basses” - it’s an office too, but it’s a lovely space.

So you never dine?  No wonder you are as thin as a whippet!

7 hours ago, paul_5 said:

Spare room / study / cat’s bedroom.

When we still had the cats, one of them used to follow me wherever I practised in the house.

She'd find a spot just off the ground where I like to believe she found the best bass tone.  She'd be totally relaxed no matter what I was practising with.  She wasn't deaf but as kittens they'd both found that my waist height living room speakers were the best perches from which to view the birdies through the window.  They'd sit on them for ages either preening or gazing outside.  I suppose they got used to the rhythm and volume of my music very early in life.  Loud musical noises were of little threat to them.  I miss her during practise sometimes still.

Sorry, I got a little nostalgic.  Carry on.

• Like 1