Why become a member? ×

Do you ever feel that bass is just too commonplace an instrument ...

Barking Spiders

I've been thinking about getting hammered......but at my age it's the 3 weeks recovery that is daunting

Being serious, I'm thinking about keyboards, having played piano as a yoof and having a Yamaha keyboard in the attic. Keyboards is not very unusual in the instrument dept but anyway...

These days I think focusing on the actual instruments rather than the music that they make is a mistake.

Unless you are able to use it as a gimmick in the way that bands like the White Stripes and Royal Blood manage to make very ordinary music seem interesting because they don't have a "conventional" band line up.

No, never
Bass, with long graceful neck, floor shaking voice and head turning capability plus habit of getting people to dance is just too awesome.

The only thing that I’d have as a second horse to ride, is piano - I quite fancy being able to play piano simply as they much more easy to find around and about

It's not an either or, of course :)

Agreed, if you are into planning mastery as a professional player on a particular instrument, then the practice time becomes a bit prohibitive for mastery of many more - but most of us can make quite respectable progress on a second or third instrument while not losing the edge on the primary one. And I would argue that each new instrument becomes progressively easier than the previous one and, indeed, makes you a better player on those earlier ones.

I started out with 6-string acoustic, moved onto 6 string electric, then tenor sax, then alto sax, then bass and even an outing or two bashing on my bongos. Other than not getting my bongos out too often in public (I think there are laws about that :lol: ) for most of our gigs I now play all of those.

I think enthusiasm is all it takes, really. If you have that, you'll find a way around all the rest of the challenges, musical or general life getting in the way :)

Edited by Andyjr1515

Never. Perhaps Its not the instrument but the way you have been programmed to play it. There is no right or wrong way, just your own way. If you follow the well used learning path you will probably get what you, and everyone else, expect. If you do what you have always done don't be surprised if you get what you have always got.

Its a musical instrument, the only limit to its creativity is your own imagination.

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1508837693' post='3394691']
It's not an either or, of course :)

Agreed, if you are into planning mastery as a professional player on a particular instrument, then the practice time becomes a bit prohibitive for mastery of many more - but most of us can make quite respectable progress on a second or third instrument while not losing the edge on the primary one. And I would argue that each new instrument becomes progressively easier than the previous one and, indeed, makes you a better player on those earlier ones.

I started out with 6-string acoustic, moved onto 6 string electric, then tenor sax, then alto sax, then bass and even an outing or two bashing on my bongos. Other than not getting my bongos out too often in public (I think there are laws about that :lol: ) for most of our gigs I now play all of those.

I think enthusiasm is all it takes, really. If you have that, you'll find a way around all the rest of the challenges, musical or general life getting in the way :)
[/quote]
I should add - and can't quite put my finger on why - that, even though playing bass is by far my weakest competence of them all, in the band situation it is head and shoulders the most enjoyable. I usually get to play bass for 4-5 of our set list and they are always, always the most satisfying... :)

[quote name='MrDaveTheBass' timestamp='1508838210' post='3394697']
I'm still trying to master the Tibetan Anus Flute. It's a bit niche though, and I'm still having trouble finding an appreciative audience...
[/quote]

If you need any help, thid video might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXp4JUFOz8E

[quote name='MrDaveTheBass' timestamp='1508838210' post='3394697']
I'm still trying to master the Tibetan Anus Flute. It's a bit niche though, and I'm still having trouble finding an appreciative audience...
[/quote]

Just advertise on BC, lots of Anal people on here. :D

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1508849230' post='3394832']
Bet it was still an amazing experience though.
[/quote]

"Though"??? My brother in law plays trombone in two brass bands and even the local competitions are brutal. I can only imagine how competitive, nerve shredding and nit picking a national comp would be. Respect.

I don't think bass is too commonplace. Perhaps it's more common than it used to be, but compared to guitar it's far less common.
I often pop along to open mics and jam nights. I'm frequently the only bass player there. Loads of guitarists or singer guitarists, quite a few singers.
There's sometimes 2 or 3 drummers, usually more than one - sometimes even four!
If you want a less common instrument but love the bass - try double bass. Definitely very few DB players around

I play DB, plus a little guitar, bit of Bouzouki and have just started Ukulele
But I'll never stop playing bass unless it becomes physically impossible

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1508850731' post='3394845']

"Though"??? My brother in law plays trombone in two brass bands and even the local competitions are brutal. I can only imagine how competitive, nerve shredding and nit picking a national comp would be. Respect.
[/quote]

It wasn’t meant with any kind of disrespect. The fact the guy played at the Royal Albert hall is enough for me to offer him the greatest respect.

😊

When people ask what instrument(s) I play and when I tell them "bass", I often just get a blank look in return (I usually just say guitars now, it saves a lot of having to explain) - so I wouldn't say it was too commonplace since most people don't even know what it is and how a bass guitar differs from other guitars.

Edited by darkandrew

One of the instruments I play - and occasionally get paid for playing - is the melodeon. Not exactly a mainstream instrument - you may have to look it up to find out what it is.

Still a bass player first & foremost, though!

Graham

Edited by Graham S