Why become a member? ×

Is this the future of music?

Hellzero

Doesn't everyone going on about lighter gear? I can't see anyone setting up a pub gig every weekend unloading robots.

Can they play cannibal corpse or improvise jazz.

Oh.. basschat musically related items for sale ad

Seller...I've got a fully automated relic robot for sale. It's a green BAP 2088 series II

Buyer..What's the weight?

Seller...Just under 3.8 tonnes and requires a 380 v three phase connection.

Buyer..Would you trade in for a double auto DD 177 robot drummer.

Seller.. No too heavy for my back

Buyer..I'll throw in a heavy duty padded robot strap..

Well..i prefer humans

Edited by SH73

I'd have liked to say that it shows that the composer will always be more important that the musicians, but unfortunately the "performance" was so obviously fake even before the "robots" rebelled, and the music was such a conventionally mainstream slice of electronica, that I'd feel embarrassed if I did....

"Is this the future of music?" Yes it is.

Rock music is a minority interest. Jazz fans can be counted in thousands globally.

A bass guitar is about as sexy as a tuba to the average 16 year old.

No youngsters are getting any traction: the phenomenal Hadrien Feraud and Mohini Dey are astounding players but get no significant exposure for music (as opposed to gear endorsements).

Old world heroes are gone and forgotten: Jaco, Jack Bruce, Chris Squire, Greg Lake, John Wetton, John Entwistle...

It's all gone. Electric bass guitar will be functionally gone in the next generation (7 years) except for retro appeal in a break in a EDM DJ set.

We are the last generation.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1505588376' post='3373064']

Rock music is a minority interest. Jazz fans can be counted in thousands globally.

No youngsters are getting any traction: the phenomenal Hadrien Feraud and Mohini Dey are astounding players but get no significant exposure for music (as opposed to gear endorsements).

Old world heroes are gone and forgotten: Jaco, Jack Bruce, Chris Squire, Greg Lake, John Wetton, John Entwistle...

It's all gone. Electric bass guitar will be functionally gone in the next generation (7 years) except for retro appeal in a break in a EDM DJ set.

[/quote]

Sorry, I really can't agree with you on that. Firstly, the track in question is music in part, but it's essentially video entertainment, and contains little of what countless millions of people around the world (including me) surely still yearn for - some lyrical concept they can identify and connect with, and a theme or a melody that touches the soul in some way. The piece we've been discussing doesn't depict the future of music as a whole, although it may be a small part of it. Music will continue to be made in countless ways as it has since a caveman first hit a log with a rock. Electric bass will remain as long as you or I keep playing it, which I certainly will until I'm no longer physically able to do so. I'm hoping that will be more than 7 years, of course! :D

[/quote]

you need to get out more ;)

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1505644909' post='3373287']
And be subjected to 'Sex on Fire' or 'Mustang Sally' by a cover band.... no way.

Hunkering down for the apocalypse...
[/quote]

:lol: yeah, well... you may have a point there :lol: but (hopefully) there's more than that where you live. There certainly is over here. Some really interesting bands are very young, and so is the audience, and I hate them with passion for having all that talent and drive when at their age I was still playing throwing stones in the sea (the life guard didn't like me much at the time)

[/quote]

I've spent the last 18 years in music education and I can't agree with this.

I run a team of peripatetic music staff who give instrumental lessons at our school. In the last few years, I've seen a decline in students wanting "classical" instrument lessons (brass, woodwind etc) which may be down to the change in our intake, but piano/keyboards, guitar, bass and drums have stayed steady. Drum lessons have, (whisper it) increased in popularity. Yikes.

The kids I teach (media students mostly) listen to a range of stuff from Arianna Grande to Metallica, with a healthy dose of J and K Pop thrown in. Lots of them listen to EDM, but there's still an audience for music created by people playing instruments rather than programming. The two best-selling albums of the year so far are by Ed Sheeran and Rag 'n' Bone Man - quite "traditional" sounding artists.

I have no doubt that the way young people approach practical music making will change over time and there may come a day when the instrumentation that we hold dear will become as marginalised as crumhorns and sackbuts, but I think we're good for quite a few years yet.