Why become a member? ×

Precisionitis

Guest MoJo

Whenever I find myself, as now, without a Precision bass or Precision-style bass, I find that I am constantly looking at P-basses for sale and trying to coax a Precision-like tone out of whatever I'm playing at the time. However, when I do possess a Precision, I find myself wanting something else.
Discuss.....

Agree. You just can't escape from the P bass. The sound is ingrained in the psyche, probably because it's everywhere and on so many classic recordings. Best to keep one handy. If you want something else, add it to, rather than replace, your P. You know you'll have to buy another otherwise.

What I get is more like "Pnewbassitis".

Even having one P with a phenomenal sound, wouldn't it be great if you get another, with a different phenomenal sound? Never mind the fact I've got 4 other perfectly great basses...

Seeing some cheapies about for around £80 it's so tempting to get one, work on it and make a great bass out of it.

As you know i have the same battle. Sometimes i think i should have kept my tony butler but it was never getting played. I now have a vintage modified precision but still use the jazz at every gig because i prefer the feel and the tone. Just bought an SPB3 to try on my precision to hopefully convince me to use it more.

I have never since I decided at 14 that I was going to play bass wanted a P bass or sound, even though my first bass was a cheapo P clone.

Get a secondhand Harley Benton-ish precision and stow it in a closet, under a bed, in a crawlspace or whatever, and move on.

Life's too short

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1488006020' post='3244916']
As you know i have the same battle. Sometimes i think i should have kept my tony butler but it was never getting played. I now have a vintage modified precision but still use the jazz at every gig because i prefer the feel and the tone. Just bought an SPB3 to try on my precision to hopefully convince me to use it more.
[/quote]

That 'Tony Butler' was a great P bass.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1488005870' post='3244915']

Even having one P with a phenomenal sound, wouldn't it be great if you get another, with a different phenomenal sound? Never mind the fact I've got 4 other perfectly great basses...

[/quote]

This! I have 3 Precisions and a Mustang (think short-scale P!), each with a different phenomenal sound (to me), and I still find myself hankering after more Ps.

I also know this feeling.
Solved by having flats on my '71 P, playing my other two basses (Jazz & humbuckered 5 string) at home/rehearsals/other appropriate gigs.....and just knowing that the P sounds better on almost every other gig/recording.

Si

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1488006020' post='3244916']
[/quote]

I find the SPB1 is more Precisiony. Have one in my bitsa.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1487985214' post='3244900']
However, when I do possess a Precision, I find myself wanting something else.
[/quote]

This part never happpens. I traded my Peavey Cirrus BXP for another P. I now have two Ps and need nothing else.

Same here really, I have 2 Fender P's, 2 Yamaha Attitudes (Basically precision Basses) and 4 Jazz Basses.

I play the Jazzes and really enjoy the sound of them, but for me there's something about the way a Precision feels straight away that is just right to me. Put my thumb on the pickup just behind the screw hole and I'm instantly happy.

I really should shift a couple of the Jazzes, but they are all great in their own way. Deciding which to let go would be difficult.

Me too, Phil!

Until I realised that after all the Jazzes, Travis Beans, Rickenbackers etc., what I really missed was my first bass. A 1962 P Bass with a rosewood neck and the classic flat wide neck of that particular year.

Feeling much better since I bought my USA 62 reissue with rosewood board last year.... Especially since I was given a set of tape wound flats by a kind basschatter!

Can you say "thud"?

Precision all the way for me, too - that is the tone that defines bass guitar as far as I am concerned. I have three 4 string basses that I will be keeping - 2 are JV Squier Precisons.

I found myself with a problem when I moved to 5 string basses and found that Fender/Squier 5 string Precisions were either a/ too heavy and/or b/ string spacing too wide. Solved by putting a Precision pickup into a MM Sterling 5 that was lighter with tighter spacing. Then I tried a Yamaha BB425 and find I am liking the P pup in that very much.