Why become a member? ×

The worst song you have ever heard.?

bubinga5

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1485303838' post='3223040']
Bat out of hell is a particular one that gets me shouting at the radio if it comes on.
[/quote]

Anything by meat loaf makes my eyes bleed.
the guy is just horrid,

Edited by funkgod

I don't know how I could have forgotten this but absolutely the most boring song I've ever heard is Stranglehold by Ted Nugent, for my money one of the sh1ttiest 'professional' guitarists I've had the misfortune to hear as well as being an obnoxious right wing bellend. More than half the 8.22 running time is inane noodling over a tedious flanged one note bassline. Utter bilge.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1485303838' post='3223040']
Bat out of hell is a particular one that gets me shouting at the radio if it comes on. Though I dislike pretty much anything that comes under the banner of 'classic rock'.
[/quote]This has me turning the radio off, it's too damned long and that wasp in a jam jar tone has no place in that production (I don't understand how Jim Steinman couldn't hear how bad it sounds).

The other thing that has me reaching for the off button is anything by The Doors: turgid, monotonous, self indulgent meanderings, I really don't understand their appeal or level of success.

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1485427302' post='3223848']
I don't know how I could have forgotten this but absolutely the most boring song I've ever heard is Stranglehold by Ted Nugent, for my money one of the sh1ttiest 'professional' guitarists I've had the misfortune to hear as well as being an obnoxious right wing bellend. More than half the 8.22 running time is inane noodling over a tedious flanged one note bassline. Utter bilge.
[/quote]This is literally playing on the radio as I type. I remember loving it as a teenager, but now it's a case of, "Get on with it!"

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1485427846' post='3223858']
The other thing that has me reaching for the off button is anything by The Doors: turgid, monotonous, self indulgent meanderings, I really don't understand their appeal or level of success.
[/quote]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I find Jim Morrison's voice to be a bit of a disinterested drone a lot of the time too to be honest.
Most of my mates seem to love them and I'm glad they enjoy it but can't abide their music at all myself.

Spice Girls "Wannabe". Every time I hear that flat, tuneless vocal line "Tell you what I want what I really really want..." I just want to smash the radio, house, car, world....you get the picture. Same goes for American Pie by Madonna. Although Don McClean quite likes it, because, and I quote "I own the publishing rights".

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1485452218' post='3224083']
Just heard what is probably the worst I've heard in a while. I think it's called thunder, by AC/DC. Boring, cliched and the vocal was like finger nails down a blackboard.
[/quote]
You have only just heard it? It was released in 1990 and wasnt cliched when released, may have been copied since.......

Edited by T-Bay

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1485452563' post='3224087']

You have only just heard it? It was released in 1990 and wasnt cliched when released, may have been copied since.......
[/quote]

I tend not to listen to radio stations that play this sort of thing. I tend to hate most of what they play.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1485453766' post='3224105']

I tend not to listen to radio stations that play this sort of thing. I tend to hate most of what they play.
[/quote]
Even still, it has been around a long time and used on a lot of adverts, tv programs etc.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1485097881' post='3221076']
Personally I can't imagine how this utter pile of tripe got made, released and even sold enough to get into the charts [url="https://youtu.be/1LaY1qXt9K4"]https://youtu.be/1LaY1qXt9K4[/url]
[/quote]

I grew up in the 80's. Hard to know where to start with bad music... I'll take your Vanilla, and raise you the utterly terrifying Daphne and Celeste...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_98h4HQUaWo

Going back a little further, one of David Bowie's few mistakes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SQdBxVjZx4

...and why was this ever unleashed on an unsuspecting population? A weapon of mass distraction if ever I heard one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkYkeeM8qIA

I could go on, but I'll leave it there or I'll be here all night :gas:

There was a time in the 80s when there was a flurry of hyper-twee 'indie' pop made by atrocious bands like Prefab Sprout, Fairground Attraction, The Bluebells and Deacon Blue. Among the most irksome pieces of [email="c@ck"]c@ck[/email] are ..
Sprout's one that has the line 'hot dogs, jumping frogs, Albuquerque'.
Perfect, sung by that woman who looks like a librarian
Real Gone Kid..plinky keyboards, terrible girly background vocals, cheesy strings (not the kids snackfood)
Young At Heart..I mean this band named themselves after a flower and the song has a bloody fiddle solo
Come on Eileen ..as does this woeful karaoke singalong

Edited by Barking Spiders

Just heard what is probably the worst I've heard in a while. I think it's called thunder, by AC/DC. Boring, cliched and the vocal was like finger nails down a blackboard.
[/quote]

Sounds like you are talking about 'Thunderstuck'. Indeed, not pleasant at all.
Although, on release, I thought it was called "Cliche and Pastiche".
All in my humble opinion of course. :D

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1485079135' post='3220868']
Writing a song like that no doubt takes more skill than it might seem on the surface. Yes, it's an awful piece of music in some respects. But I can hear it in my head right now and I haven't even needed to click on the YouTube link. That's one helluva ear worm, no doubt about it. Same thing with the Birdie Song.

The KLF used a similar approach to Doctorin' The Tardis, as described in their book The Manual (worth a read for anyone interested). Again, they make it sound easy when writing this sort of stuff - and making it work - is actually rather difficult.
[/quote]

Having read "The Manual" I don't think it's at all easy. The list of things they suggested you would have to do in order to have a manufactured hit required a lot more effort and commitment that most people would be willing to put in. Unsurprisingly only one other artist managed to have a hit using The Manual as a blue print and they only made it to number two - Bring Me Edelweiss by Edelweiss

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1485104496' post='3221135']
Of course you know that John Cage's people sued Mike Batt's people over copyright infringement of 4' 33"...
[/quote]

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-11964995"]A great story, but entirely made up as a publicity stunt, which obviously worked extremely well as people are still believing it[/url]

And even if it had been true, any sensible court would never have upheld the claim, as 4' 33" is not a silent piece. Admittedly no music is performed by the musicians for the duration of the piece, but it's actually all about the ambient sounds in the venue when there is no music playing on stage. Mike Batt's "One Minute Silence" is a track on a CD and therefore it will be complete silence.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1485507580' post='3224397']
There was a time in the 80s when there was a flurry of hyper-twee 'indie' pop made by atrocious bands like Prefab Sprout, Fairground Attraction, The Bluebells and Deacon Blue. Among the most irksome pieces of [email="c@ck"]c@ck[/email] are ..
Sprout's one that has the line 'hot dogs, jumping frogs, Albuquerque'.
Perfect, sung by that woman who looks like a librarian
Real Gone Kid..plinky keyboards, terrible girly background vocals, cheesy strings (not the kids snackfood)
Young At Heart..I mean this band named themselves after a flower and the song has a bloody fiddle solo
Come on Eileen ..as does this woeful karaoke singalong
[/quote]

I like Prefab Sprout. When Love Breaks Down is a cracking song. Still, horses for courses, eh?

[/quote]
I think you may mean Thunderstruck if I may stick one's oar in.... I used to love DC but the way they have become soooo overused and overhyped etc, they are the same as Dire Straits to me now.

"I just called to say I Love You" by Steveie Wonder.

What makes it worse is the fact it seems to go on for aeons and just when you think the torture is almost over.... *KEY CHANGE*. Aaarrrrgggghhhh!!
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwOU3bnuU0k[/media]

Edited by matski

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1485511614' post='3224443']

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-11964995"]A great story, but entirely made up as a publicity stunt, which obviously worked extremely well as people are still believing it[/url]

And even if it had been true, any sensible court would never have upheld the claim, as 4' 33" is not a silent piece. Admittedly no music is performed by the musicians for the duration of the piece, but it's actually all about the ambient sounds in the venue when there is no music playing on stage. Mike Batt's "One Minute Silence" is a track on a CD and therefore it will be complete silence.
[/quote]

Aaaaah, but as a fan of Mark Ellen's late lamented HORA (Hoary Old Rock Anecdote) on the original version of the Word magazine podcast I'm rarely one to let common sense and facts get in the way of a cracking rock 'n' roll yarn! ;)

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1485452563' post='3224087']
[/quote]

Not cliched? You're possibly oblivious to the fact that by 1990, AC/DC had been re-hashing the same three chord riff & 5-note guitar solo for seventeen years! :lol:

Firmly in the "should have jacked it in after Bon Scott died" camp.

this makes me squirm grinding my teeth.
and has a keyboard solo that will make you just laugh its so bad and puke at the same time. :(
WARNING..
do not watch if your eating or by anything thats too expensive to throw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBYV_7a0FQs

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1485771649' post='3226466']
and has a keyboard solo that will make you just laugh its so bad and puke at the same time. :(
WARNING..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBYV_7a0FQs
[/quote]

Not sure Toni Tennille was that impressed with his contributions either.
New Toy Synth time?
Did you clock some of the looks she gave him?....
I think he was sleeping in the spare room that night...:)

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1485771649' post='3226466']
WARNING..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBYV_7a0FQs[/media]
[/quote] Terry Wogan was great on keys !

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1485654086' post='3225647']
Dont know if this has made it in yet but it gets my vote ...utter sh*te you can take it and ram at right up your jaxy !
{Ricky Martin -- Livin La Vida Loca}
[/quote]
It's actually a lot of fun to play, if you go heavy on the ska like we do B)