Why become a member? ×

Best cars for shifting gear?

Tech

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1483953760' post='3211296']
Passat estate is like a cave on wheels. Although basically the same car, the Passat has masses more room than the Audi A4. Audi A6 estate is huge though. You can get a surprising amount in a Toyota Yaris if you want something small and cheap.
[/quote]

That's because the Passat uses an A6 floor pan , not an A4.

One of the dangers of 'what car would you recommend for...' threads is that people just wind up telling you what they have (or have had) and why it's good for them (and therefore why it's good for you too). ;)

On a slightly more serious note, you might care to check out Tom Kent of this 'ere parish. He's actually done something resembling proper research on the subject and posted it on YouTube. I'm not in the market for such a vehicle (and even if I was I'd trust my own judgement and research skills rather than buy something because some bloke on the internet reckoned I should), but on the offchance that you might find it useful here's a link:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/user/TomKentMusic"]https://www.youtube....er/TomKentMusic[/url]

Edited by leftybassman392

Any estate will do the job or a mini-van type car like the renault kangoo and similar. If you think you'll need to carry more than one passenger choose an estate that folds the back seats individually or in a 2+1 type. There are some peugeot partners and other brands that come with 3 seats on the front.

I had a ford focus estate that had lots of storage, my current astra estate is a bit smaller but still carries all the band's gear for a venue that has PA, if needed.

Always a tricky one asking on here. Everyone has their own idea of what's good and what's not.

Passats are really popular, they're reliable and swallow the gear. Mine was great for that! I run a new Avensis estate now, which is bigger than the Passat... but the boot floor is higher, has a silly false boot floor and a flawed shape - it's crap at carrying gear. Not as bad as my friend's Insignia, but it's not great! Next on the shopping list is Mercedes E Class estate or Skoda Superb estate. They're apparently the biggest in class, and get good reviews. Also popular with taxis - so suits me!

I had a Citroen Berlingo for a few years. Incredibly practical, humongous payload space. Seats fold flat in 2 seconds, out in 20. Level push in, massive inside because of the ridiculously high roof - looks like an ice cream van. I once took me, drummer, guitarist and all our gear to a gig in it. On the downside it imploded after 60,000 miles but I think I was unlucky - you see plenty of old ones around. Plus of course they are incredibly ugly.

I'd say have a look at what's available locally. Don't get emotional - keep it as rational as you can. If you take a look at a relatively uncommon model (e.g. Saab estate) - keep in mind you'll have less choice when it comes to service & repair vs. a [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group"]VW/Skoda/Seat/Audi[/url] or a [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors#Europe"]Opel/Daewoo [/url].

Last thing you want to get stuck with is a car you have to go to the dealer every time for parts. Look into the top sellers for the year/reg you're looking for to stack the odds in your favour.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1484003853' post='3211956']
I know several players using Skoda Yeti's. A ton of room in them.
[/quote]

I have one - fantastic thing. Built like a tank, lovely to drive, surprisingly good on fuel, quite roomy - but not as roomy as a lot of cheaper cars, say Berlingo/Kangoo/Partner, and I think for the OP price was a big thing. One thing - nothing to do with load space - the Yeti will go up and down my steep road whether or not it is covered in frost, ice or snow. My old Berlingo went down sideways and that is where it stayed until it thawed! :)

Any larger estate should be fine. I've just run a Mondeo for 5 years, Passat, Octavia, Superb all quite acceptable with good reliability records and cheap to buy and run (except maybe the Passat). Larger estate rather than lifestyle - BMW 3 series, Insignia and A4 all look a bit pokey in the back to me, though all good cars in their way.
I'm now running a V70 which is great for lugging and, equally important, has lovely seats :)

I had an old Volvo 940 estate for a long time - huge amount of room in the back with the back seats folded down. I've got a settee and a massive fridge freezer in there before now!

It didn't have the same height as people movers do, but you did get a huge loading bay boot right up to the back of the driver's seat if required. Huge space, and lovely car too.

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1484050111' post='3212183']
Why do so many folks say 'avoid automatics'? I've had my first auto' for several years now, it's so relaxing to drive. The only downside is about 35mpg instead of 40mpg. In town traffic it's great.
[/quote]

Read the thread title again.

;)

I get the following in a Fiat 500L MPV Diesel:

RS210, RS212, BH500 in bag with all leads, Laptop bag, spares bag, 3 basses in soft cases (with spare amp and effects unit in pockets) and 2 X stands

That's without the back seats down. If I put one half of the back down I can also get my two guitarists amps and guitars in (plus them).

I get about 45 to the gallon and £30 a year tax.

Plus it's a seven seater so handy if I want to take the ankle biters and their friends out. With the boot seats flat it creates a level loading area.

Love it

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1484050546' post='3212187']
Read the thread title again.

;)
[/quote]
[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1484053716' post='3212221']
Surely an automatic has to be the best car for shifting gear, all other cars require you to do it yourself.
[/quote]

Exactly.

I have duly read the thread title again and I rest my case.

Edited by grandad