Why become a member? ×

This year's Hootenanny

tauzero

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1482780905' post='3202722']
While we're on definitions:
Joolzolland: an artist who's talent falls far short of the esteem in which the public and major broadcasters hold him.
[/quote]

Don't mock the afflicted.

His compulsion to a boogie woogie piano accompaniment to absolutely any piece of music, from classical to hip hop, is a serious medical condition.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1482871518' post='3203266']
Okay, Gregory Porter. Anyone know what's going on with that hat when he's indoors? Or, is there something I don't know about like alapecia or cheomo and I've put my foot in it.
[/quote]

Yes... we're all wondering. It's not just for bilateral toothache is it?

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1483354844' post='3206397']
I have to say, Christine and the Queens, the number they did with the dancing, was fascinating. Highlight of the show for me.
[/quote]

She was the only thing worth watching it for IMO - very talented lady.

The rest was often pretty painful/cringeworthy. Particularly the re-imagining of I Got You Babe as a creepy incest song.

It still amazes me that they can hear how great the likes of Gregory Porter and Rag n Bone Man are but booked Roy wood and Chaka Khan who were both awful (from a totally objective point of view based on how they sound now, not based on the past glories!).

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1483374619' post='3206640']
It still amazes me that they can hear how great the likes of Gregory Porter and Rag n Bone Man are but booked Roy wood and Chaka Khan who were both awful (from a totally objective point of view based on how they sound now, not based on the past glories!).
[/quote]

+1. I too though RW's vocals were very iffy indeed on 'See My Baby Jive'. Chaka too. Full marks for the (I think) original key, but it's a modern symptom of acts carrying on like they did 40+ years ago. It pains me to say it, but play by all means, but pass on the vocals. This applies to numerous acts!

Geddy's vocals came in for serious criticism over the last 10 (+?) years on Rush tours. Macca too. These guys can still play to perfection, but vocally?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1483377842' post='3206689']
Thought Gregory Porter was the highlight for me but afraid the Big Band Arrangements rather sanitised his approach, came across very MOR.
[/quote][quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1483377842' post='3206689']
Thought Gregory Porter was the highlight for me but afraid the Big Band Arrangements rather sanitised his approach, came across very MOR.
[/quote]
Hootenanny Rules:
1. Lots of boogy woogie piano.
2. Lots of Big Band.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1483374839' post='3206644']
Dont know why musicians moan about the content of the Hoot, after all it has to appeal to a huge range of tastes. Sadly we rarely have gigs at New year so we tend to watch it every year. Can think of much worse as a build up to 12 o clock.
[/quote]

I just think it's due a re fresh, new host(s) and less boogie woogie.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1483380083' post='3206712']
Gregory Porter always seems M.O.R. to me. Is he not, really?
[/quote]

I agree. Massive soul fan here....but I've not been turned onto GP. I'm not sure what it is....but something leaves a little cold, the opposite of soul.