Why become a member? ×

Equipment Nostalgia

Geddys nose

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1481821631' post='3195472']
Still have my "Yankee",at least 20 year since I used it but still got it just in case.
[/quote]

What, just in case you want to put a big squiggly twirly scratch across the job when the bit jumps out of the screw head and you're still pushing😂

I have nostalgia for 3 basses that I`ve had:

Yamaha BB1100s - my first "proper" bass. A real workhorse, did loads of gigs on it, probably 500 or so without a backup, played and sounded great. But I wouldn`t use one nowadays as the look is too 80s.

Gibson Les Paul Bass, in red sunburst - was great this one, but the sound wouldn`t suit what I currently need. Really deep, warm, rich sound, was great in my old sleaze-rock band, great Nikki Sixx rumbling at the low-end.

Fender 51 Precision Reissue in the blonde/black combo. Love the look of these basses, and they sound pretty good too, but for me I`d be getting one purely for the look of how cool I think they are.

So I`m not gonna get any of them again, though they are the three that I look back fondly on.

never fancied old basses just because they're old, I think why should they be better than something that's had years of development, same with classic cars, poor heater no air con, power steering etc etc, but I've recently got into Trace Elliot amps for some reason they just sound better than my Fender Rumble, to me anyway, and they certainly look better

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1481824061' post='3195500']
A simple answer that has cured me of any Ric desire, I have long since hankered after one but couldn't justify the price for a bass I was unsure about so I picked up an old CMI copy, it's fantastic it has a big bow at the top of the neck, no matter what I do I can't get the electrics to work properly, it is dead uncomfortable to play when standing up, I am told by many it is a dead accurate copy of many older Ric's...basically it hangs on the wall looking nice but serving as a £400.00 reminder that I don't need a Ric :lol:
[/quote]
My REAL 4001 stereo was £400 brand new in the mid seventies....
:)

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1481897620' post='3196099']
I bought a second Trace Elliot because I'd forgotten why I'd sold the first one. I have now learnt my lesson, so won't be getting a third one until I've bought another Precision, somewhere round when hell freezes over.
[/quote]my ideal combination, and one I use all the time, funny old world, don't you think?

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1481897620' post='3196099']
I bought a second Trace Elliot because I'd forgotten why I'd sold the first one.
[/quote]

I missed the whole Peavey/Trace Elliot thing. At the time I was using a Musicman HD150 and then a Dynacord BS410. I sorta lusted after another Dynacord until I found one in the back room of a gig we were playing, and tried to lift it!!

That was it. Only forward looking from then on.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1481735172' post='3194708']
Another Stingray fancier here. Even though the sound is not what I want I'm after, I still love the look of them. I went out and got a lovely black and maple SUB to quench my urge but that still sits in its gig bag. :unsure:
[/quote]

Me too. I've had a 78 and an 04; both amazing instruments and I wish I still had them. Currently considering getting a SUB myself.

I left the body of my first proper bass at my old flat (I bought the bass 32 years ago). It sounded good but the body was mahogany, a weird orange sunburst and weighed a ton. I took the neck and all the hardwear/pickups but I had no love for the body.

I'm a heartless bastard...

[attachment=234148:bass.jpg]

Edited by gjones

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1481732648' post='3194664']
Yep - Stingrays for me. Up til the last couple of years, I'd primarily played with a pick, and they never seemed to really work for me. Tried 3 of them.

Now I play almost exclusively with fingers, and really think I should give them another go...
[/quote]

This. Used my Stingray exclusively for years. Now I need a pick for about half the numbers it just doesn't work for me cos' the pickup is in the way so it's under the bed..

Still got it and if the next band is predominantly finger style it will be back. I think you should give one another whirl.

Les

Les

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1481907374' post='3196224']

I missed the whole Peavey/Trace Elliot thing. At the time I was using a Musicman HD150 and then a Dynacord BS410. I sorta lusted after another Dynacord until I found one in the back room of a gig we were playing, and tried to lift it!!

That was it. Only forward looking from then on.
[/quote]

There was a Dynacord BS410 on ebay the other week. I was really tempted as it's the best bass combo I've ever used but, as you say, the weight is just crazy.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1481896672' post='3196087']
My REAL 4001 stereo was £400 brand new in the mid seventies....
:)
[/quote]
£400 was an awful lot of money to most folks back then! That's around the time I started playing, and a Shaftesbury Ric copy was one of the basses I aspired to. A real one was way beyond my means. I'm not sure I am nostalgic for those good old days, but I often think how thrilled I would have been then with the gear I have now (USA Fenders etc).