Why become a member? ×

Moving whilst grooving.

mrtcat

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1480547938' post='3185412']
I tend to just walk about
[/quote]
Sounds like me - I also used to do the "goth 2-step" (basically 1 step forward followed by 1 step back and repeat ad-infinitum) even when I was in my BritPop band.

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1480540048' post='3185301']
Rehearse your stage moves.

Seriously. If you practise playing while staying still, that's what you'll do on stage. Try your moves at home in front of a mirror, and do them at rehearsal.
[/quote]
[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1480579155' post='3185489']
Just do what feels natural.
If you have to think or plan what you're going to do, it's going to look like you've had to do just that.
That's rarely ever a good luck.
Don't think too much about it, move with the music as much or as little as is natural to you.
[/quote]
Both of the above. It's worth thinking it through and certainly moving whist doing bass practice is a good idea, you'll develop moves which come naturally and look OK if you do it in front of a mirror. Having a few moves or poses of your own, or borrowed from your favourite performers, helps limit the embarrassment factor when you first go up on stage.

However unless you and your band are going for a full choreography of the set then I think it has to come naturally or it can look a little odd and uncomfortable.

FWIW I read of a study, in New Scientist, of dancing as a display, apparently small movements of the legs when independent of the movements of the upper body are deemed most attractive. Since your hands are going to be involved in playing bass that must mean don't overdo the dancing.

I don't think dancing is always the answer though. The audience want something to watch as well as listen to, and to see you enjoying what you do. If you aren't a natural mover then it's amazing what a bit of smiling and looking at the audience does. I think the audience also like it when there is plenty of interaction within the band.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1480543329' post='3185360']

And what type of physical condition your in also matters.If a guy is sporting a huge arse there's going to be some limitations.

Blue
[/quote]
He said "arse" - its like he's one of us now

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1480542684' post='3185349']

[media]http://youtu.be/eizWNzpcFvU[/media]
[/quote]

Some very good ideas there BUT don't try some of them unless you've gone wireless. Tying your legs together with your own lead and falling face first into the drum kit is not a good look.

I feel I should also point out that crashing your headstock into the mic stand (twice) is not good stagecraft.

:D

Whilst there's all kinds of performances , from the shadows walk to the axe position and they all have there place , I do find people on stage just being themselves very entertaining , that could be someone who loves jumping around and sticking thier tongue out to a shy but talented person standing very still doing their thing.

Well that's just rude. Poor shy person, is what I say.

No, no, no..! It's just a missing comma; the phrase should have been: " that could be someone who loves jumping around and sticking their tongue out, to a shy but talented person standing very still doing their thing." It's all about context; have you no imagination..? 9_9

(Isn't it outrageous that folks will pick up on just about any tiny flaw in grammar or punctuation; apostrophes, even. Very sad... :( )

:lol:  :P
.. Edited by Dad3353

In answer to the OP. Having some moves that look natural to you and fit in with the context of the band are a huge plus. But if the person/s doing the video shoot know what they're doing they'll move the camera around and give you direction on what to do. No point bouncing around like a mentalist if they're trying to get an arty shot and vice-versa.

We started filming gigs - ouch. To me, my biggest issue was posture - dropping my shoulders, followed by not facing the audience - the key is practicing what you want to get across. Mean and moody - no problem. Moves like Jagger - no problem (if you have it) I've developed a good Tracey Pew gyration of the hips while staring at the audience for our Christmas gigs.

Whenever I go to see bands I wanna see some activity. If you've got a reasonably charismatic frontman/men then bass players can get away with Ox / Wyman type stillness. If the whole band is static, and also lacking banter, it makes for a dull night out for punters. Well I'm usually bored rigid. I want to see a show. I wouldn't expect Rammstein type theatrics but at least move about. I used to only ever play in funk and dance music bands and we always put performance ahead of showing how well we could play.

Edited by Barking Spiders

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1480582795' post='3185530']

Some very good ideas there BUT don't try some of them unless you've gone wireless. Tying your legs together with your own lead and falling face first into the drum kit is not a good look.

I feel I should also point out that crashing your headstock into the mic stand (twice) is not good stagecraft.

:D
[/quote]

It's ok as long as you don't do a comple 360. :D

Also note when he talks about barriers between you and the audience. (Music stands anyone...)

Edited by TimR

Some good tips here.

FWIW, I suggest smiling (not looking bored) is a good idea. Also don't nod your head like a demented chicken.

OK, I'm 50 now and generally just move around the stage. I will move next to the others and interact a bit. Rocking out with the guitarist whilst in a rock stance. Singing bv's into the singers mic with him. Interact with the drummer with some rhythms we both share. Use my bass and point it a bit.

Have fun.

I try and move a bit but as I have a bad back, and because of that, bad mobility, it`s nothing much. Feels like I`m doing a marathon when doing it, but looking at videos it resembles me as being just past the standing absolutely still stage.

Lozz has hit on something there - generally when you think you're moving quite a bit, on camera it doesn't look a lot at all, especially in a wide shot. I reckon if you're gonna go for some moves, they'll need to be exaggerated a little for camera...YMMV!

Also I reckon it's something the whole band needs to discuss, probably with whoever is doing the filming, you don't wanna be throwing too many shapes if no-one else is!