Why become a member? ×

What can possibly go wrong/Worst gig

paul_c2

I have gigged plenty of times before but it was a while ago, I have a few coming up soon (in a couple of weeks). I've ordered a spare set of strings, just in case I snap a string before/during the gig. And I'll take a number of extra leads just in case of an electrical issue; and a spare mains lead for the amp. My bass is a Jazz bass so it has 2 pickups, meaning that if something strange electrical happens to it, it might only affect the one pickup and I can survive on the other one (or it might be a more general electrical issue).

What other preparations or bits and piece are worth taking to the concert, just in case something bizarre or unusual happens?

I wouldn't worry to much. If you get into the mindset that something might go wrong, there's a danger you'll end up bringing bring two of everything. There's more chance things won't go wrong! I just keep my gear in good nick as much as possible. For me it's usually things like batteries, extension leads, gaffer tape. Enjoy your return to gigging

A spare bass, in case your no1 packs up. A spare amp, you can never bee too careful. Lots of strings, leads, plecs and pedals, plus gaffa tape and a tool kit. Book a hire car just in case yours breaks down on the day. Have a mate who is first aid trained ready to give CPR just in case the stress gets to you with pre gig nerves. Check the fire safety certificate is up to date on the venue, you cant be too careful where wiring is concerned, and make sure you know where the fire exits are. Lastly, whatever you do, do not go anywhere near a can of Heinz Baked Beans in the 48 hours before the gig, unless you want to be hospitalised by one of those delinquent cans..

That should do it, and good luck.

Worst experience I ever had was at the end of the first set, the drummer got up off his kit, walked to the front of the stage and keeled over.
Ambulance was called and the paramedics did the full CPR deal then carted him off to hospital.
A coronary, which happily he survived to gig again!

Not much you do to prepare for that though, is there?

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1480185428' post='3182393']
Worst experience I ever had was at the end of the first set, the drummer got up off his kit, walked to the front of the stage and keeled over.
Ambulance was called and the paramedics did the full CPR deal then carted him off to hospital.
A coronary, which happily he survived to gig again!

Not much you do to prepare for that though, is there?
[/quote]

Sadly this happened during a rehearsal to a pianist I played in a big band with. A loud crash and I looked over my shoulder, laughed, thinking he'd fallen off his chair, then the horrible realisation of what had actually happened. Unfortunately he didn't survive. Lovely old boy :(

Worst gig? First gig with a new band back in 1980. Lunchtime slot supporting the King Crabs, Jimmy Nails band, at a CIU club in Newcastle. Having to use there kit and backline, the drummer spends the whole set whacking the back of his left hand as the Crabs drummer has his hi-hat set low for R and B. Huge swollen bruise on hand. Guitarist spilts his finger open on string end and finishes our set with blood all over the neck of his guitar. Vocalist panics and forgets most of the original songs lyrics. We come off stage to have a consolation drink with wives and girlfriends and.............on comes the stripper. At lunchtime?????????

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1480194876' post='3182488']
In all my years gigging I've never had anything fail or break on me.

There, I've jinxed it now, next gig it'll all go wrong...
[/quote]

Yep.

The only time I've ever had a catastrophic bass failure was when a singer asked me, at the practice before a gig, if I wanted to borrow his bass as a spare.

Up to that point, in 30 years of playing, I'd never even broken a string. :D

Ever since then I have a spare bass. In its case somewhere fairly close by. I can't remember last time I opened the case and don't actually know if the bass is still in it. :D

Spare battery and screwdriver installed in the gig-bags of the two I gig. Cable for my local om, which is very well run but does have occasional cable problems.

But I check the batteries every three months (as today) and generally "prevention is better than cure".

Mind you if I ever get to the level where more depends on it - and if I'm not as usual going by public transport - I might take a "spare" bass. If only to show off :)

My first Precision bass (30 summat years ago) would randomly cut out at gigs (never at rehearsals) and back then I couldn't afford a spare, so I always take two to gigs now. My am stopped working mid gig (after the first number, really) only a few months ago. I aways carry a Sansamp, but since then have it plugged up and ready in case it happens again.

I am planning to have myself cloned in case I stop working mid gig too.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1480211280' post='3182588']

I am planning to have myself cloned in case I stop working mid gig too.
[/quote]

Ha! The world ain't ready for two of me...

I have a "gig box" full of spares of everything, including a DI, just in case the amp goes phut... I've used everything in it - apart from the DI.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1480247516' post='3182729']
Ha! The world ain't ready for two of me...

I have a "gig box" full of spares of everything, including a DI, just in case the amp goes phut... I've used everything in it - apart from the DI.
[/quote]

Yep, I have a DI box in my bag as well, and have had to use it once this year. Without the box, that gig would have been over after the first song!