Why become a member? ×

What can possibly go wrong/Worst gig

paul_c2

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1480185428' post='3182393']
Worst experience I ever had was at the end of the first set, the drummer got up off his kit, walked to the front of the stage and keeled over.
Ambulance was called and the paramedics did the full CPR deal then carted him off to hospital.
A coronary, which happily he survived to gig again!

Not much you do to prepare for that though, is there?
[/quote]

Bring a spare drummer???

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1480184064' post='3182382']
A spare bass, in case your no1 packs up. A spare amp, you can never bee too careful. Lots of strings, leads, plecs and pedals, plus gaffa tape and a tool kit. Book a hire car just in case yours breaks down on the day. Have a mate who is first aid trained ready to give CPR just in case the stress gets to you with pre gig nerves. Check the fire safety certificate is up to date on the venue, you cant be too careful where wiring is concerned, and make sure you know where the fire exits are. Lastly, whatever you do, do not go anywhere near a can of Heinz Baked Beans in the 48 hours before the gig, unless you want to be hospitalised by one of those delinquent cans..

That should do it, and good luck.
[/quote]

Dont forget to take a bass playing friend who knows the songs just incase you forget them

...but seriously, as long as you have some spare strings, a spare lead and a spare power lead you should be fine. A tuner of some sort is useful - clip on ones are cheap and (sometimes) cheerful. Pen and paper are surprisingly useful, especially when you have to scribble down the occasional set of lyrics or when your charismatic frontman (who has one admin job in the band...) forgets the piggin' set lists again. A pick or two (if you're that way inclined) in the wallet and you're set. It should all fit in the pocket of your gig bag, too.

[quote name='paul_c2' timestamp='1480180478' post='3182336']
I have gigged plenty of times before but it was a while ago, I have a few coming up soon (in a couple of weeks). I've ordered a spare set of strings, just in case I snap a string before/during the gig. And I'll take a number of extra leads just in case of an electrical issue; and a spare mains lead for the amp. My bass is a Jazz bass so it has 2 pickups, meaning that if something strange electrical happens to it, it might only affect the one pickup and I can survive on the other one (or it might be a more general electrical issue).

What other preparations or bits and piece are worth taking to the concert, just in case something bizarre or unusual happens?
[/quote]
Maybe you better buy a 3 pickup bass in case 2 of them fail?!

Srsly.

One of the funniest things I've had go wrong was years ago. We had no money and I'd rigged up our cheapo, secondhand lights to a homemade footswitch that when pressed it would switch off the normal coloured lights and switch on the smoke machine and strobe behind the drumkit, we used it mainly for our cover of Overkill by Motorhead. It got to that point in the song for strobe and smoke to accompany the drums (if you know the song you'll know where I mean), so I over enthusiastically stomp on the switch and break it with the smoke and strobe going, I couldn't turn it off without unplugging from the wall at the end of the song, by which time the stage and most of the dance floor had completely disappeared from sight. The crowd loved it, nobody had a seizure and it was our last song so it all ended well but it did take quiet a while to clear enough to be able to see anything :D

You don't always need double of everything, just make sure what you do have is suitable for the task :)

Edited by Maude

Like anyone who has been playing for 30+ years, I've had my fair share of empty rooms, dodgy electrics and alcoholically incapacitated guitar players, but the one that really sticks in my mind is when I band I played for in the late 80s was invited back to a pub venue after a successful first gig. In the interim between the booking and the show, we discovered that

a) The pub was the preferred local haunt of a particular motorcycle gang (definitely a gang rather than a club)
b ) A popular member of said gang had met his end in a bike crash
c) His wake would be held during our gig
d) His favourite song was Freebird, so learn it.

We had a few days but couldn't find a practice room at short notice so we booked the back of a pub for an afternoon. Half way through there was almighty crash and the window of the practice space shattered... To reveal someone (whose favorite song clearly wasn't Freebird) standing on the balcony of the tower block opposite, brandishing a rifle. He'd just shot the window out. I'm not sure how we got through it on the night, but we took the hint.

Edited by radiophonic

The worst gig I went to, but wasn't performing, was when I went to see my brother play. About an hours drive, arrived to find the pub had shut down and was boarded up.

Days before mobile phones. Apparantly the band had turned up two hours earlier to find the place boarded up and a steady stream of fans had turned up throughout the evening and one by one turned round and went back home.

Due to the general flakiness of band organisation, no one thought to put a note on the door to say everyone had gone to xxxx for a pint and meet there. All round confusion and a wasted Saturday night.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1480185693' post='3182397']
Has your amp ever stopped working ?
[/quote]

Yes. Superfly got beer spilt into it (it recovered later after I washed it out and dried it). At another gig, my 4x10 became a 0x10.

Hence carrying a spare amp and running 2 1x12s.

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1480328632' post='3183320']
Worst gig?=.......Pub in the middle of nowhere.No audience. Just the bar staff. And a cab driver taking the numbers up to three briefly but apparently sent to the wrong pub.

This is what can go wrong. Any thing else by comparison is welcome.
[/quote]
Treat it as a rehearsal.